Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: combine new 462nm with 445nm

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    I think we will see some comparisons soon. A lot of people got in on the new annual deal from Omar that has the 462. Hopefully the brightness is a lot more than 445.
    These are about 1/2 the power of the 445nm diodes and so I would guess they will be similar in brightness.

The biggest problem I have with the 445 diodes is that my eye doesn't focus it properly. When I co-align the RGB form a static beam to a retro reflection 1/2 M from my eyes, everything is perfect. Then the spot 12M away looks as if there is a large blue halo surrounding a white spot. As I walk up to the spot the halo shrinks and disappears into the spot. A less ghostly blue would be nice.
    Last edited by planters; 06-02-2014 at 14:57.

I think its because its closer to UV light. It gets worse with 405nm at least that,s my experience.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Do you wear spectacles Planters? I find a lot of what I see badly is due to the shift associated with my glasses.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

That's a good point.

I don't wear glasses and any lower wavelength blue looks
    Crap to me at a distance ,leds or lasers
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    My intended purpose is to use the diodes separately. The 462 is blue and 445 is violet. I have old show material that used the extra line and I never actually saw the material from the violet lines so this would be like seeing it fresh all over again.
    I guess to see it correctly I would have the 462nm as the violet and the blue at 473nm but no 473nm diodes just yet.
    What we really want is a 488nm diode.

Old school effects then become spot on and it would be really interesting to see how 488 and 445 mixed as you have, more or less, the two extremes at the top and bottom of the "proper" blue spectrum and so it should be able to get the widest possible mix of blue shades.

Yes good point. I think we can expect more then one wavelenght for each color in the future for projectors. With the semiconductor diodes it,s quite easy to do and it gives you a wider colorscheme.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    I think we will see some comparisons soon. A lot of people got in on the new annual deal from Omar that has the 462. Hopefully the brightness is a lot more than 445.
    My projectors arrive today. I'll let you know what I think when I get them fired up.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    What we really want is a 488nm diode.
    You could always go with a Titanium-Sapphire laser. Of course, they're stupid-expensive, but they do lase at 488 nm...

Personally, I think 488 is too close to the green side of the spectrum. I much prefer 473, although admittedly it would be nice to have a deeper blue in the mix as well.

I'm hoping that 463 nm will be the perfect compromise, but I'll have to see it to know for sure...

Adam

Old school effects then become spot on and it would be really interesting to see how 488 and 445 mixed as you have, more or less, the two extremes at the top and bottom of the "proper" blue spectrum and so it should be able to get the widest possible mix of blue shades.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Personally, I think 488 is too close to the green side of the spectrum. I much prefer 473, although admittedly it would be nice to have a deeper blue in the mix as well.

488 is definately blue with a tint of green and very light I admit. Thing is if you want genuine OLD school for classics, then its 488 or thereabouts that you want.

This clip isn't very early, but shows the gas colour great (it's one I randomly pulled off Youtube of Gatecrasher circa 2007) (the green is from a 2nd laser at the back)). (I think the laser(s) were a Sabre but not 100% sure).

I would have thought a mix with 445 would have given you an overall mid blue with both blues fully on in somewhere around 460-70's nm wavelength, anyway if similar powers.

I agree 465 or 473 nm might be a better single colour, but it takes away the ability to do a true gas colour.
    Last edited by White-Light; 06-04-2014 at 00:23. Reason: Clarified Text

Smile

Well, I just unpacked one of my new Pluto II's with the new green and the new blue, and I just had to fire it up side-by-side with one of my older ones that had 532 for green and 445 for blue.

Long story short, I really like the new color combinations! The old 532 green is a bit too yellow for me, and the old 445 is way too far towards violet.

I didn't adjust the color palette, so this isn't a fair comparison, but just to give you some idea of the differences, have a look at these pictures:

These are individual frames from the Pangolin show "Gradient-Moby", written using Showtime. The astute observer will immediately note that the left side of the frame is intentionally brighter than the right, so that's another reason why this isn't a truly fair comparison, but even so I think it's pretty clear that the new projector (with the softer green and the lighter blue) is on the left, with the more traditional wavelengths on the right.

Later, when I have more time, I'll shoot some more side-by-side pictures. But at least now you have some idea as to what the differences are.

As for beam specs, I can't really see much difference between the two. Granted, I've only run the projector for about 30 minutes though.

Adam