Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Here we go... illegal lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    Yeah but if you shine a green laser pointer in the air the FBI will be after you!!
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...!-Who-will-win
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    Your thread was why I mentioned it. Regarding the issue of laser attacks on aircraft, I think the problem is WAY over blown. First of all, no hand held device is going to be 'dangerous' at the distances they will be used at, and actually hitting a pilot in the face is going to take a whole lot of luck. I'm not saying that a pilot being startled by a bright green light is harmless, I am saying that you just aren't going to down a plane with a pointer. Audience scanning with high power projectors, on the other hand, has the potential to permanently damage MANY peoples eye sight, and is happening with much higher frequency. The difference is the guy with the pointer can be labeled a 'terrorist', which is really all the government cares about these days.

It is possible to cause flash blindness to a pilot on takeoff or landing. That would be very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    It is possible to cause flash blindness to a pilot on takeoff or landing. That would be very dangerous.
    Assuming you are right (I have no reason not to), I just don't see it being very likely, and last time I checked, most pilots had co-pilots. I'm not trying to make light of this problem, I just think it's being over blown. If an individual really had the intent to take down an aircraft, it would be much easier just to shoot it down.

yeah, I'm not really sure. But that was the argument that I read about

Your thread was why I mentioned it. Regarding the issue of laser attacks on aircraft, I think the problem is WAY over blown. First of all, no hand held device is going to be 'dangerous' at the distances they will be used at, and actually hitting a pilot in the face is going to take a whole lot of luck. I'm not saying that a pilot being startled by a bright green light is harmless, I am saying that you just aren't going to down a plane with a pointer. Audience scanning with high power projectors, on the other hand, has the potential to permanently damage MANY peoples eye sight, and is happening with much higher frequency. The difference is the guy with the pointer can be labeled a 'terrorist', which is really all the government cares about these days.
    Topic previously discussed:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...399#post285399

If you take time to read through the thread, you'll find that the danger of the possible reaction in the cockpit, especially during critical take/landing and other low-altitude flight, is the real hazard. No one is talking about "bringing down an airplane" with the laser, it's about possible intentional interference and disruption of the crew during flight, which is not only extremely dangerous, but also very illegal.

And as one of the few people who participates on this forum and understands the danger first-hand (around 5000 hours in US Army helicopters as an instructor / test pilot), I can assure you the hazard is both very real and very dangerous...

FWIW...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Topic previously discussed:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...399#post285399

If you take time to read through the thread, you'll find that the danger of the possible reaction in the cockpit, especially during critical take/landing and other low-altitude flight, is the real hazard. No one is talking about "bringing down an airplane" with the laser, it's about possible intentional interference and disruption of the crew during flight, which is not only extremely dangerous, but also very illegal.

And as one of the few people who participates on this forum and understands the danger first-hand (around 5000 hours in US Army helicopters as an instructor / test pilot), I can assure you the hazard is both very real and very dangerous...

FWIW...

Do you think a 'laser attack' warrants lengthy prison time?

Do you think a 'laser attack' warrants lengthy prison time?
    If it's repeated lasing of low-flying helicopters flying in and out of a hospital, as was mentioned in the other thread, or someone intentionally lasing aircraft that are taking off or landing -

Hell yes, with the same sentence that would be applied to anyone trying to intentionally interfere with the flight of an aircraft.

I realize it's probably easy for a non-aviator to shrug off and question the seriousness, but I can assure you that the majority of professionals who fly for a living and have ever been on the receiving end will be in full support of any FBI and FAA crackdown. Hopefully, cracking down on a few dumbasses with high-power handhelds will be a wake up call for the remaining dumbasses to back off and get a clue...

But probably not...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hi Stuka,

I am not 'shrugging off' the dangers of pointer attacks, and I really do understand the dangers. I just don't think severe punishment is a good deterrent; education and, dare I say it, regulation would go a lot farther IMO. It's pretty fucking expensive to take care of people in jail, I'm no economist but I suspect 'getting the word out' about the dangers would be cheaper.

Actually, according to the article referenced in AnthonyGarcia's thread from yesterday, getting the word out through PSA's is a big part of the campaign.

Unfortunately, we live in a world were the population as a whole often "just doesn't get it", and the PSA's probably won't go far without a few severe examples to drive the point home.

Time will tell...
    RR

Sweet.....