Thread: Nice scanner for 5mm beam? I知 tired of waiting on bill to be finished with his!

Question Nice scanner for 5mm beam? I知 tired of waiting on bill to be finished with his!

Does anybody have nice suggestions for scanners that can handle 5mm beam with low losses and ok performance? I have been waiting years for Bill / Pangolin to be finished with his 5mm scanners (Scannermax or Saturn) but it never happens. So it's time to find something else.

Hehe, these have been delivered to Planters and Norty and soon to another PL member too. Nearest I can tell, nobody has waited "years"...

One problem with nicknames instead of real names (and not signing your post) is that I don't know who you are. (There was one PL member who was complaining about us and said we didn't have this and couldn't deliver that and it turned out to be total nonsense, and that they never contacted us...)

If you're looking for alternatives, Cambridge has a *real* mirror set that will handle 5mm beams over a true 60 degree projection angle, but it only delivers 24K performance (but large signal performance is great) and the total system will cost you around $2500 USD. There is another member here *claiming* to handle 5mm beams, but the angle is narrow (he forgets to mention that part...)

We've just finished up a design of a new mirror set that will handle 4.2mm beams through a decent angle and it works with square beams as well. (Our 4.2mm mirror is physically wider and longer than the other member's 5mm mirror...) There are a few PL members who will be receiving scanners with this mirror set.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 06-04-2014 at 03:47.

PS: Here's a report from Norty about his set -- received by him January 2nd...
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...960#post280960

... I was trying with high power lasers and replacing the small mirrors with 15x15x1mm ones, but atomized them too :-(

In my last setup the mirrors are 40x40x6mm and instead of galvos I'm using high resolution geared servo-motors and receive speeds of some m/s for engraving/cutting in 500mm distance from the scanner head ;-)

Viktor

Hello Bill,

Last time I was talking to you in person was at ILDA conference last year. You was proudly presenting and talking about you amassing scanners (and I was amassed). But when I told you that like to buy 2 Saturn 5 scanner set for testing. It find out that it was not possible because the they was not finished yet because the driver needed some fine tuning and so on.

Then I ask for a 506 with big mirrors but that was not possible, because you did not have any big mirrors and frankly I don’t like this idea (and can understand it) that I buy the scanners from you and the driver I have to “find” some were else.

Will I have to wait another year before you can produce some mirrors and a complete set with scanners, mirror, drivers, cables, mount ready to use? Like all other do this days?

Your scanner will not be so great as you say if you can’t produce your unique mirrors and just blaming other that they can’t produces mirror to you according to you specification is like saying… I have build this Saturn rocket that can fly to Pluto. But I can’t fly away yet because no one can produce my super duper special engine.

From that day at the ILDA conference last year to this date I have build 48 high quality laser systems that could have you scanners inside, but they don’t!

Kind regards,
    Claes

Hi Claes,

As Bill stated there are several forum members that have already received 506s with various mirror configurations (I have the 3mm mirrors), so your OP is dead wrong. And while it is true that the amps are not finished, surely somebody that has produced 48 projectors in the past year has the resources to get custom drivers made (mixedgas is having a bunch made for those of us who don't have the resources).

That being said, I'm a little suspicious of your motives, as I can't believe that a projector manufacturer such as yourself would be in the dark about the available scanners.

Hi Claus,

(Hehe, there are many Claus, so I still don't know who you are...)

Check out the thread in which Norty was posting. There you will learn that O. Steven Roberts (mixed gas) has purchased a number of DT40-like amps from China, and he is modifying them under my direction and selling them to PL members. So it is possible to get a complete system from him with *relative* quickness. Everyone I mentioned and also Stiffler had to wait a little bit, but we're normally talking weeks not years ;-)

Saturn scanners are great, but only if you need what I call good large-signal performance (if you need to go both fast and wide at the same time). But in practice, the performance provided by the 506 -- even with large mirrors -- is quite good, and seems good enough for even discerning folks like Planters. Price is also quite good.

Regarding delivery, we hired two people and today even my son started working at Pangolin assembling scanners. Demand is high, and from not only lightshow projector manufacturers but from many sectors. We have parts in stock -- and we're ramping up the hands to put them together.

Bill

Hey people I have a set of 506 running on 18V and PT20 drivers. They kick serious butt. In fact I have a set of 6215s in another projector and I've shelved them. Not because they are better but because the 506 is so good I don't need the extra size or heat or frankly anything else while running 30k images. Yes the 6215 is a sharper performer in terms of large images and corners but unless I really pay attention they are equivalent for 30k show material. I repeat 30k show material. From what I understand if I use better drivers like the ones steve is working up and increase the voltage they will get even better. Know what. I don't need to as these are plenty good.

As for the larger mirrors, I am using single mode diodes so size for me in mirror does not matter so can't comment on that.