Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this the place for laser-show-noob questions?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just for shits and giggles..... I'll throw one last thing at you. There are a large number of members here on the forum who are hobbyists that greatly enjoy the satisfaction of building their own lasers which is another very good route to go. It's not necessarily difficult, just time consuming and there is a great deal to be learned from gradually aquiring the parts and assembling something yourself. It can also be done piecemeal as you have money and time. I am by no means well versed in electronics, optics, CNC machines,etc, and have tackled it once. I've started another but haven't been able to touch it in about 4 months. My issue is a lack of time and an adequate work area.

The one thing I'm starting to find is that just as there used to be a lot of computer geeks that built their own computers and played the upgrade and tweak, upgrade and tweak, game... it's gotten to the point where a decent computer can be bought for so little money that it's almost not worth the time. Lasers have gotten so inexpensive (relatively speaking) that it's almost worth it to just buy something built, tested, warratied that just simply works right out of the box. You don't see as many build threads here as you used to. But keep in mind, you could buy or build a case, buy a green, a few small electronics and hardware bits and some scanners for a couple hundred bucks and grow from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Just for shits and giggles..... I'll throw one last thing at you. There are a large number of members here on the forum who are hobbyists that greatly enjoy the satisfaction of building their own lasers which is another very good route to go. It's not necessarily difficult, just time consuming and there is a great deal to be learned from gradually aquiring the parts and assembling something yourself. It can also be done piecemeal as you have money and time. I am by no means well versed in electronics, optics, CNC machines,etc, and have tackled it once. I've started another but haven't been able to touch it in about 4 months. My issue is a lack of time and an adequate work area.

The one thing I'm starting to find is that just as there used to be a lot of computer geeks that built their own computers and played the upgrade and tweak, upgrade and tweak, game... it's gotten to the point where a decent computer can be bought for so little money that it's almost not worth the time. Lasers have gotten so inexpensive (relatively speaking) that it's almost worth it to just buy something built, tested, warratied that just simply works right out of the box. You don't see as many build threads here as you used to. But keep in mind, you could buy or build a case, buy a green, a few small electronics and hardware bits and some scanners for a couple hundred bucks and grow from there.
    I actually considered that route many years ago, before the RGB diode laser devices became prevalent.. Back then, as far I can remember, you had to get a high powered white (or near white?) laser tube, and use a YAG to split the colors out of it. I looked into building a laser table with the laser and all the associated mirrors and scanners and such. It's not that I'm against getting my hands dirty -- I spent much of my youth building all sorts of electronic projects and stereos (can you say "Dynaco" ).. but at the time, the laser hobby seemed overly complex and VERY EXPENSIVE. So that's why I shelved it for a while and bought the Lissajous red laser from MWK Industries. And then found other hobbies (i.e. the Delorean, among others), and forgot about the lasers until a year or two ago when I thought "I wonder what the market is like now" and started looking into it all again, and found near saturation of pre-built, inexpensive, RGB diode laser units. And only just recently, decided to actually go out and get one!

*I may have my acronyms confused. I think it was a YAG laser and the name of the crystal I can't remember, but I think it also started with a "Y".

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yeah... you're in the right place. Lol

As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best mobile phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced remote control jammer has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the jammer product.
    Last edited by JaysonCordray; 07-03-2014 at 18:30.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam?

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    $600... to $1300.. to $1700.. what the hell? What do you have in the $2k range?
    I came in here with the idea that I could get everything for $800. I have currently saved ~$1500 for my laser (which will be $2500-$3000)
    I have barely any experience shooting beams and this is my addiction.
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -