Thread: Alternative laser window

Default Alternative laser window

Greetings, all;

In an effort to finder a cheaper way to keep my new dual-banger red sealed away from moisture (which condenses like crazy on my TEC-cooled laser mounts), I decided to go for something a little cheaper than the usual Edmunds window I usually use.

The answer: a microscope slide cover slip. These jobbies are around 22mm square, and .13mm thin. Super transparent; easy to lose if you put down on a piece of paper. The enclosure for this is a Hammond plastic project box, which has a nice gasketed seal. I’ll be adding a desiccant pack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coverslip-laser-window.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	43480

As they are not AR coated, I added a little piece of wire to tilt the glass a bit off of vertical. That way back reflections hit the baseplate and are not bounced back to the LD. Everything is epoxied to the plastic box.

Dirt cheap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$5.15 for a lifetime supply. I figure I can use the slides for larger windows on my Lumiators, the lumia projectors I am building.

Thoughts?

…Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Optical scanners have AR coated glass if you are willing to cut it and at thrift shops I have seen them as low as fifty cents. I was going to say something about back reflection then thought of my lumia wheels.

Nice find either way.

Name:	Scanner.view.750pix.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	43497
    Last edited by sugeek; 06-06-2014 at 20:44. Reason: Picture
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

why is there a rhino in your scanner?

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Optical scanners have AR coated glass if you are willing to cut it and at thrift shops I have seen them as low as fifty cents. I was going to say something about back reflection then though of my lumia wheels.

Nice find either way.

Name:	Scanner.view.750pix.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	43497
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    why is there a rhino in your scanner?
    That is the new Saturn rhino amp!
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    That is the new Saturn rhino amp!
    *snort*

"the myth of the killer ape is true!"
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

No, "the myth of the killer amp is true!" (Just ask Pangolin...)

Sugeek; good find re scanner glass. I suspect that it is also not AR, at least at usable frequencies.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Buy an AR coated window from edmund or thorlabs of 3 inch x 3 inch and cut into 20 pieces. Then you have many square ones that can be used when you build modules and you are have a datasheet from the coating so you are 100% sure its right.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!