Thread: live pro with touchscreen

Default live pro with touchscreen

i have just acquired a 17" 3m chasis touch screen.
    £120 off ebay, seems a pretty good, bright display.

my question is that currently it is regarding the touchscreen as the primary screen, not sure how to make my laptop the primary one with the desktop on ?

can anyone help ?

dave321
    dave321

Quote Originally Posted by dave321 View Post
    i have just acquired a 17" 3m chasis touch screen.
    £120 off ebay, seems a pretty good, bright display.

my question is that currently it is regarding the touchscreen as the primary screen, not sure how to make my laptop the primary one with the desktop on ?

can anyone help ?

dave321
    If you are using XP, then right click on the desktop and select Properties from the menu.
    Click the Settings tab and then you should see a picture with 2 screens with you current pramary screen highlighted.
    Clcik the 2nd screen and then you should see that a tick box become available which says "Use this device as the primary monitor". Tick it and then Apply and OK.

Hope that helps.

If Vista it will be done in a similar way, I think when you right click the desktop you choose "Personalise".

I will use my Vista laptop tomorrow and make a post if no one else does before me.

Onge (André)
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    If you are using XP, then right click on the desktop and select Properties from the menu.
    Click the Settings tab and then you should see a picture with 2 screens with you current pramary screen highlighted.
    Clcik the 2nd screen and then you should see that a tick box become available which says "Use this device as the primary monitor". Tick it and then Apply and OK.

Hope that helps.

If Vista it will be done in a similar way, I think when you right click the desktop you choose "Personalise".

I will use my Vista laptop tomorrow and make a post if no one else does before me.

Onge (André)
    hi andre,

i'm using XP,.......yes i tried that but for some reason even when i've clicked Apply and OK it still does not work,...the touch screen still displays the desktop as monitor 1 (primary) and the laptop screen goes blank (black).

it seems to default always to the touchscreen as the primary screen ???

dave 321
    dave321

I ran into similar problem with my laptop and 24" LCD which I wanted as the primary (NOT a touch screen BTW )

By any chance does the 2nd monitor display (in display properties) as "Generic Monitor" or similar? XP (and especially Vista) won't let a generic monitor become the primary one for some reason. As strange as it sounds, you'll need to find the drivers for it, reboot and the "Set as Primary" should be un-greyed. Also update your graphics drivers, as the Intel, Nvidia or ATI driver program may give better control over setting primary monitors...
    Vista is even worse for this, but it does have a little "Presentation Utility" that makes things more confusing, in an attempt to simplify, but may work.

Failing that; right click the task-bar, and unlock it, then drag the bar all the way to the bottom of the other monitor, right click on it again, and lock.
    This will make things looks like it's a primary, but some windows will still open on the primary (laptop) screen. Not perfect, but is close enough if you can't get the touch screen to be the "true" primary.

Hope that helps,
    Dan

I allways face the same problem with the laptop i use for my lighting setup..

i've learned the following trick - it works on IBM/lenovos anyway, i dont know about others..

Right click desktop -> properties -> settings tab -> click on the monitor that widows has selected as secondary and untick the box "extend my desktop to this monitor" click ok.

This should hopefully leave you with only picture on the external monitor (which windows sees as the primary)..

Then use the key combination that selects internal/external screen on your laptop keyboard (usually Fn+F7) untill you only have picture on the screen that you want to be your primary screen.. The other screen should now be blank, otherwise press the keys again untill it gets so..

Then go back to Right click desktop -> properties -> settings tab, and you should now be able to select the monitor that is currently blank and tick the box "extend my desktop to this monitor" and click OK..

Then it should work..

I know this turned out to be quite a long explanation, but it is actually really simple.. i guess the point is that with only one screen enabled, the keyboard shortcut selects which screen is the primary.. makes sense ?

Hope it helps..

Regards, Simon

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Showlaser.dk View Post
    I allways face the same problem with the laptop i use for my lighting setup..

i've learned the following trick - it works on IBM/lenovos anyway, i dont know about others..

Right click desktop -> properties -> settings tab -> click on the monitor that widows has selected as secondary and untick the box "extend my desktop to this monitor" click ok.

This should hopefully leave you with only picture on the external monitor (which windows sees as the primary)..

Then use the key combination that selects internal/external screen on your laptop keyboard (usually Fn+F7) untill you only have picture on the screen that you want to be your primary screen.. The other screen should now be blank, otherwise press the keys again untill it gets so..

Then go back to Right click desktop -> properties -> settings tab, and you should now be able to select the monitor that is currently blank and tick the box "extend my desktop to this monitor" and click OK..

Then it should work..

I know this turned out to be quite a long explanation, but it is actually really simple.. i guess the point is that with only one screen enabled, the keyboard shortcut selects which screen is the primary.. makes sense ?

Hope it helps..

Regards, Simon
    dan and simon,

i now have the laptop as the primary screen and the touch screen as secondary monitor
    (good so far) Right click desktop -> graphic options -> graphic properties - > extended monitor.

BUT the touchscreen is now no longer touch sensitive ????!!!, when trying to calibrate the touchscreen, it now comes up on the laptop screen ?

why is nothing simple ???

i have yet to try updating the drivers.

anyother ideas out there ?

dave321
    dave321

Do you need two displays? or could you set them up in 'clone' mode?

I've found a few links:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/inpu...ch-screen.html
    (roughly what you want to do)
    But scroll down the the screenshots of the software. Give it a go: http://www.touchkit.com/Drivers.htm
    Those drivers are needed to change XP defaulting the touchscreen input to the primary display.

Dan

Edit: This link might help: http://www.touchwindow.com/miva/merc...tiple-Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Do you need two displays? or could you set them up in 'clone' mode?

I've found a few links:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/inpu...ch-screen.html
    (roughly what you want to do)
    But scroll down the the screenshots of the software. Give it a go: http://www.touchkit.com/Drivers.htm
    Those drivers are needed to change XP defaulting the touchscreen input to the primary display.

Dan

Edit: This link might help: http://www.touchwindow.com/miva/merc...tiple-Monitors
    dan ,

ill check them out thanks,

dave321
    dave321

Smile

guys,

problem sorted !. There was an additional set up option in the touchscreen software for selecting multi monitors, which was not immediately obvious (especially without any instructions).

the touch screen is a big improvement for selecting cues, all i need now is a remote zero or behringer it sounds like !

we live and learn from our mistakes (hopefully)

dave321
    dave321