Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti Laser Show part deux deux alpha uno

Default Spaghetti Laser Show part deux deux alpha uno

It's been a long time since I have publicly released a new Spaghetti version but that doesn't mean it has been abandoned. Quite the opposite, in fact. Over the last 2 years I have been rewriting Spaghetti from the ground up in C++ and I am still not even finished! But, I figured I would throw out what I have so far and see what happens.

For those of you who are curious and/or would like to help with some testing. I present Spaghetti version 2.2 alpha 1. This is alpha software which means there are known bugs and unfinished features. But, it does have the functionality to create and play back shows. Not only that, but it adds support for two new DACs: Pangolin's QM2000 and Showtacle's Fiesta.

Some of you may have heard mention of 3.0 and wonder why this is only version 2.2. Simply put, the 2.2 version of Spaghetti is just a rewrite, aimed at providing the same functionality as before. 3.0 will come next and will contain the live laser show experience (ie Wet Noodles), a drawing utility (ie Spaghetti Draw), and a many other things that I am keeping to myself for now.

Lastly, I want to restate that this version has bugs and missing functionality. If you find problems, please report it to me on my website, via PM, or via email. I'd rather not pollute this forum with Spaghetti bug reports so please don't post them here. I just wanted to make the announcement here. I'll update my website and forum with more details soon.

A dongle or a Spaghetti license is required, as before. Your existing Spaghetti license will work but you will need to import it to be recognized. This version can be installed on the same machine as the 2.0 version.

WARNING:
    WARNING:
    WARNING:
    Since this is a test version it should ONLY BES USED with backups of your existing Spaghetti show files. It may cause corruption in certain cases. This is meant to be a preview and should be used as such.

The link:
    Edit: LINK has been removed since it is an obsolete version. New link will be posted soon on my website. Contact me for details if interested.
    Last edited by JohnYayas; 07-16-2014 at 03:44. Reason: Update

A total re-write in C++. Wow! That's impressive. If I recall correctly, you wrote Spaghetti in C#. What prompted you to use C++?

Are you still using the Microsoft visual development environment?

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    A total re-write in C++. Wow! That's impressive. If I recall correctly, you wrote Spaghetti in C#. What prompted you to use C++?

Are you still using the Microsoft visual development environment?

James.
    Different reasons but mainly to not have to depend on security by obfuscation and to be able to access native libraries like DirectX and others without going through interop code. The result is that it starts up a lot faster... not sure how much of an improvement runtime operation is but it should be less memory intensive for sure. I'm taking advantage of C+11 and will be using the new concurrency libraries to take advantage of multiple CPU cores and possibly the GPU.

Been a little over a month since my last update. I've made some significant progress since then. DMX is working again in the new version. Fixed a bug in the RIYA driver and it is working nicely with the new RIYA DACs. I hope to have some of those DACs in a month or so to sell because they are so cool. It's hard to believe that a DAC can be that small and have the same performance as the huge ones that cost much more. I'm 98% done with the port from C# now with just a few items left to round it out like TTL support and ILDA merge (which no one is using). So mostly just testing and fixing bugs which goes extremely fast once they are found. I'm going to make an official link on my website soon so this will soon be soon be out in the wild.

As always, I am interested in various types of testers with different DACs and OSs. Especially Fiesta and QM2000 owners, since I don't currently have access to either of those.

After the port to c++ is feature complete, meaning it does everything that the old C# does and a little more, I will call that 2.x branch finished and will start new development on some exciting things. They will be included as part of Spaghetti as add-ins or features with a small cost. How much? Not sure, but it will be low. Those who help test and provide feedback will receive these updates for free or at a discount.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I read about the new version but honestly haven't had a chance to look at it. I've got a very quiet week next week so, I will endeavor to try it with Fiesta, Moncha, QM2000 if you like. I also have an Etherdream, a Netlase, and HB Laserscan/Laserworld Showeditor DAC.

I can't wait to try it out too.

Just a reminder to those of you who will be attending SELEM this year... Gary will be there as well, so if you have any questions about your Spaghetti software, SELEM is your chance to talk to the developer in person!

Adam

Version 2.2.0.2 Alpha 2 is out in the wild. See my website for details: http://www.hingednewt.com/Pages/Spaghetti.aspx

This is still an alpha version but quite stable and nearly feature complete. For the most part, Multilanguage and testing are all that are left.

Very cool. I plan to reinstall it and give it another go. I have updated/rearranged/started over with my computers several times now, so all my files have been shuffled around so much it will take some doing to find things, but I think I know where the original install is.

I installed this while at SELEM and it worked playing through a Pangolin dot net box. There are still some minor things that Gary is going to fix, but it works.