Thread: Need help. Trying to make an overhead banner frame.

Default Need help. Trying to make an overhead banner frame.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. This is nothing to do with lasers although when I finish making it I might hang a laser on it.

I've got a Gazebo which I sell Burritos from at festivals in the UK and I need to make a frame like structure to stand at the front of the gazebo to hold a banner.

I've uploaded some photos of traders that are using the sort of thing I need to make/find/buy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example3.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	428.2 KB 
ID:	43570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example1.png 
Size:	415.9 KB 
ID:	43571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example2.png 
Size:	493.4 KB 
ID:	43572

It looks like scaffolding or it looks like old style tent supports. They seem to have joining parts that make it come apart and put together.

Can anyone recommend any sort of tubing that's strong and can be joined using sleeves that can make this sort of frame?

I can't do much labouring myself. Kind of need an of the shelf sort of kit.

Cheers.

Graham

How about PVC tubing from a plumbing supply?
    With a bit of imagination, PVC can be used to construct a LOT of different things.

Just Google "PVC projects" for some ideas...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cheers Stuka.
    Will wind be a factor do you think?

Graham -
    As long as you add several cross sections to your frame (similar to a truss section), you can probably come up with a very strong system that is still fairly light, with sections that can be as portable as you need. Since any clamps or other attachment hardware you might need could probably be purchased along with the pipe, about the only true fabricating you might need to do is cutting the pipe sections to the needed length. Most of the other fittings you're likely to need will be just 90-degree elbows for the corners, and tees for all your cross sections. The banner could be attached to the frame with screws or cable ties.

During the last few outdoor events I attended, I noticed that most of the banners had several crescent-shaped cuts in the fabric. Hardly noticeable most of the time, but when the wind blew the cuts would open enough to allow a considerable amount of air to pass through the banner, cutting way down on the wind resistance & chances for the banner to get blown down.

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

The pictures you posted all look like aluminium scaffolding tube put together with "key clamps"

PM me... I sell this
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Hi Karl pm sent