Thread: Yes.. Yes, you Can 'be green' with an Ion..

Lightbulb Yes.. Yes, you Can 'be green' with an Ion..

...thought that would be 'ambiguous-enough' to get some clicks..

The 'real Title' / subject, here is: How to 'DIY' a very-efficient Heat Exchanger for running a mid-frame Ion laser - closed-loop - without a hi-power' / very heavy / expensive 'chiller'...
    Here's the set-up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_PumpStn.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	43661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_HEx Units_R.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	43663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8170060.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	426.2 KB 
ID:	43662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_HEx Units_F.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	43664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_DMNS CoolingStn.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	43665

- Core-Components: 1x 30 Gallon 'Baytec' closed-drum barrel, w/ optional 3/4" drain-port (inlet) fitting in base; 1x Little Giant Pump Co. 'Marine / Large-Aquarium' Pump; PVC-plumbing / valves, as-shown; 2x Lytron 6340G2 (or equivalent..) Radiator / Fan HEx-units, in-series, Housing / dressing, build-up as-shown, or as-per-choice.. Everything - including Pump - all runs off 110V, nice and clean.. No heavy / costly / 220Vsucking / nasty-Freon-drinking 'chillers' need-apply. I am happy to supply more-specific details for anyone that is actually / seriously interested in building one of these, but.. for the moment, just wanted to a) show the 'overview' of the sys / setup, and b) testify how well it works..

..Right now, we're running a Coherent Purelight (I-70 tube..) at the 'DMNS', at a full 42-45A, for 8 hrs a show-nite, and this thing barely breaks a sweat.. not even *close* to 'hot'.. I'm pretty-sure you could run a Lexxie 88 or similar small-frame off of only one of the two HEx-units.. And, this set-up has been in the past with a tube as large as an I-90 MRA (..as long as you can keep the 'ambient' under about 80˚, and allow plenty of 'breathing-room'..) and also an American 909.. but I bet it would even handle a Lex 95 or SP Chroma10.. maybe even an I-200.. But, those are less-likely to still be in-use by anyone in this community.. The small / mid-frame WL's, however, seem to still be in-use by some..

..So, now, there's no more excuses for crappy beam-quality at those 'outdoor EDM-fests', eh?? ......Whats that? 'Why still use an Ion WL'??...

Name:	Ion_WL_lines.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	43668 ..Duuuh!

Sure, even with this closed-loop rig, you still have the '3Ø-needs' for the Laser, but.. nothing a few hundred hamster-driven genny-wheels and a small cap-farm can't handle.. (..then, you'd be 100% 'green', but... I suppose you'd prolly get 'PETA' all-up yer..

fwiw..
    j

PS - Also, put to use at DMNS, these Magnet-bases (Master Magnetics #7223, ie: http://hardwareonlinestore.com/index...FQYGvAodl4IAng)

Name:	DSLI_MirMnt1.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	43666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSLI_MirMnt2.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	43667 ..work *great* for mounting bounce-mirrors on any steel / iron posts / beams / otherwise hard to 'clamp-to' surfaces. Even on an all-alum truss corner-box or surface w/ no steel, etc, just get yerself a 'standard electrical junction-box' cover-plate, and you can screw that to / ziptie-strap-to your surface, and *ka-chunk* - instant, quick-adjust mir-mount, via the mag-base.. Great for SELEMs, n such..
    fwiw
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 06-22-2014 at 09:47.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

That looks great Jon! I don't know about the Coherents or Lexels, but be careful trying this with the old Spectra Physics 164/165 or 171 series ions. The cooling water is in direct contact with the anode and needs to be de-ionized. I learned this the hard ($$) way.
    Last edited by Photonbeam; 06-22-2014 at 14:08.

Hi Photonbeam,

Really surprised about your comment re the SP 164/171 etc. I have run these on plain old Uk tap water for the last 30 years and have never had an issue, must have run into hundreds of shows. Has anyone else ever had an issue, I have begun to worry now, have I just been lucky ???

Cheers

Steve

Steve - Tap water through the laser and then down the drain is fine. But in a closed circuit recirculating system the water continuously in contact with the anode can build up ions and eventually become conductive enough to arc through the water. -Steve

What about all that power the ion is drawing? Solar panels maybe!
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I circulate a rust and scale remover through old 164/165s. Often results in a lower tube current for a given output power as a cooler anode seal is a happier anode seal. The trick is to not pick a material that eats the Kovar metal. I use a recirculating loop with diluted, warm, CLR solution , and then flush with ample water for about 20 mins before firing the tube. If there is a problem, you'll see a initial pile of "Gunk" in the bottom of the pump bucket in 1-2 minutes.

Usually if the Cathode Bell cooling is cloudy, its time to flush the anode.

On a truly closed loop system, for long term use, Coherent uses(ed) a Oxygen Removal filter, but you do not want a Deionized water loop for a Ion laser. SP and Coho manuals warn against that. Distilled water is preferred.

In some places, tap water is just fine. (Except most of Florida!, I've had huge problems with Florida lasers)

CLR:

http://tinyurl.com/pbnc7r9

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

IHave been looking into building something similar for a while now to run at uklem. Mainly because we are paranoid about how much aqua you can put thru an ion over a three day (and night) weekend !

So thanks Jon, my 168 doesn't run very hot anyway so I suspected something like this would work.

You can't buy CLR here, and on my last trip stateside I forgot to buy some and pack into my second bag that the company paid for me to bring back. (Containing lucky charms, fruit loops,reese's pieces cereal) you know all the good stuff you can't buy in the UK because EU law prohibits it being called breakfast foods!

Damnit.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    ...You can't buy CLR here, and on my last trip stateside I forgot ...
    ..If'n yer willing to put-in for a 'bit o' xtra shipp'n', I'll gladly send ya some " fog juice " *coff coff, wink wink* with yer other little package (..very-soon to sail, btw.. mid-July.. finally
    You did order a '1/2 gallon of fog juice' didn't ya, Nige? ...And I doubt UK customs will break out the gas-chromatograph, ya?

Lemme know.
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

"ONE LASER, have a nice day..."

HAHAHA! I love it!