Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Stand/Tripod

Default Laser Stand/Tripod

I've seen a few photos around of a single laser on top of a tripod, and the laser is not using the hanging bracket.

I was thinking of making something similar by using a generic lighting tripod, and taking a speaker mounting plate (Ultimate Stands makes one), and bolting it onto a 20" x 20" x 3/4" plywood, and then strap the laser to the board and then sand bag the tripod. Seems like this is what all the stands are (the single mounting stands, anyway).

Anyone know of a better product, or a link to what you use? Your leads are greatly appreciated!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Buffo had some aluminum plates made with a collar to fit the top of the tripod stand. If I can find my picture of them, I'll link it here as I've been thinking about the same thing. He may chime in with his pictures first. It's probably a more expensive solution but definately sturdy. I'm just still scared of putting a 40 or 50 pound projector on top of one of those - sandbag or not. If they had outrigger type legs rather than tripods I'd be a lot more comfortable. I'm just starting to enter the world of truss but, it's stupid expensive.

I also sent Justin at Pangolin a message asking him, since they do something like that with their demos and training sessions. Anyone else have a solution?

I use a crank tripod supporting a 13 foot height, along with sandbags. I think it's a happy balance between being heavy/strong enough and still transportable. I think the crank is needed to keep from hurting yourself or the equipment when raising the stand. Here's the link:

Cheaplights

I have the model 195-CRANK-13B - probably way too expensive to ship to CA, but you get an idea of what's out there. They also sell a reinforced bag that makes carrying this to your van/venue much easier. I'm sure that there is something identical to this near San Francisco.

I've seen lesser tripods used, no crank, some lightweight aluminum too - I'd hate to go that route, unless you can afford to eat a projector, worse have it fall over and hurt someone.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

easiest way to mount to a tripod is via an arm, so a U shape

ill have to dig out some photos of mine
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Or if the bracket on your laser inverts, one of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_24528.htm

Have a look here,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Up_Stand.html

I bought one of these stands and It's beautiful. check out the demo vid.

It's a bit of coin but very well built and thought out.

This is how I mounted my projector which it 17kg (37lbs) and even when its cranked up to 13feet high it is very stable.

I removed the hanging clamp from the hanging bracket and flipped the hanging bracket underneath. I machined a block and spigot to mount it to the tripod. You might find something off the shelf similar to White-Light's suggestion that does the same thing.

The top of the stand has a 1/1/8" receiving hole. If you cut a piece of 1/1/8" aluminium rod 4" long then tapped a 3/8" or 1/2" thread in the end, you could bolt that to your projectors hanging bracket and you are all set.

Good luck
    Kit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1785.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	38327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1784.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	38328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1783.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	38329

I've been using these for the last few years. They're a bit heavy to lug around, but heavy enough to be stable and very solidly built.

Name:	Global-Truss-ST-132-2__68049.1336669657.1280.1280.gif 
Views:	22 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	38332

And the top fitting is available separately. I just remove the truss connectors, then cut a hole and mount that piece recessed into the bottom of my lasers (if enough room) or mount externally to the bottom of the laser. One per laser, permanently mounted.

They just slip fit onto the tripod from the bottom, tighten the hand screw and crank to desired height. Super quick setup.

Name:	222 005.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	38333

Global truss sells them as their 'medium duty crank stand' however I've seen them sold under other brands as well.
    Last edited by m0f; 05-23-2013 at 09:37. Reason: adding a photo

Thanks everyone for your leads, and how you single mount a laser on a tripod. Seems the best route is to use a crank tripod since their legs have more support, and are more sturdy and then either have an attachment built for the laser.

Smile

You can get 10 ft tall "On-Stage" brand extendable tripod speaker stands for around $100 each that are rated for 150 pounds and can easily support over 200 pounds. These are the stands that I use. They're cheaper than the crank-up stands, and they seem to be more sturdy - at least based on my experience. The tripod base is 5 feet in diameter with the legs fully extended. For additional safety, you can sand-bag each leg, or I've also seen people attach round metal plates to each leg. (In my mind, this was overkill though.)

The top piece is 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate with a 1 3/8 " ID pipe section welded to the center. I also had them weld triangular gussets along the side of the pipe and to the underside of the top plate for extra support. This whole thing sits on top of the speaker stand, and you drill a hole right through the pipe and the top section of the stand so you can pin it in place. Then you can either strap or screw your projector to the plate, and it's not going anywhere even if someone tries to climb up the tripod.

If you go this route, make sure the guy who does the welding knows what he's doing. Aluminum tends to warp due to the high heat of the TIG torch, so if he's not careful the plate won't be flat when he's done. But if you do it this way, the projector will always be level with the ground. (No messing around with the tilt-adjustment like you have on a U-shaped bracket.)

Here's what one of these plates looks like when it's installed on the tripod (note that this one has not yet been drilled to pin it to the stand).

I've stood on top of these plates before, and I'm a pretty big guy. They're tough..

Adam