Thread: Semi-converted Laserscope

Default Semi-converted Laserscope

I've got a Laserscope KTP/YAG that needs to go to make room for a new acquisition. Last I ran it it was doing 24W at some reasonable current which I don't remember and I haven't touched it since.
    I've taken it apart and gotten it to run without the internal medical computer - the KTP heater is hooked up to an Oven Industries controller and I have a pot hooked up to the ALE. If you buy it, I'll ship it to you in pieces via UPS, so you will get:

• Optical deck
    • ALE
    • Q-switch driver
    • 24V power supply for the Q-switch
    • Pump
    • Resivoir
    • Heat exchanger
    • Water filters

You'll have to wire and plumb everything together, but it probably beats shipping and receiving freight.

Looking for $700+shipping, I'm in 02140, MA if you want to come pick it up yourself.

I've always wanted to convert a laserscope, though honestly I have very few suitable outdoor shows where I'd need laserscope kind of power but maybe a couple per year. I've always been a bit fearful / cautious, but am thinking I might be ready for taking something like this on as a project in the not too distant future. As I have not worked with one before, my preference would be to start with an untouched unit however being in Canada they are exceedingly rare and a stripped unit would definitely be much easier as far as shipping goes.

I do have a few questions.

At what current did it output 24W ? What is your estimate is it capable of as far as a safe maximum power output ? The reason I ask is 24W seems a bit low in comparison to other laserscopes, do you have any idea what it would need to get it up in the 30-40W range ?

My other question is why did you stop with your conversion ? Were you unhappy with the performance in any way, or just lost interest in the project ?

Lastly, is it currently in working condition, as in just needs re-assembly ? If no, what is needed to get it to fire ?

The other difficult is I am in Canada, Vancouver area. UPS tends to be very expensive as far as brokerage fees, and would be especially pricey with multiple packages, however I have in the past had items received via mail box services and just driven across the border to pick it up, so this may be an option. But failing that, freight might just be a better option. What is the estimated size / weight if it were packaged up as a complete unit ?

Thanks,

Miles

I do remember that 24W was around what I felt was a good balance between lamp current and output, however I do not remember what current it was (don't expect 40W out of it without replacing at least one component, in other words). I lost interest after acquiring a significantly fancier unit that was diode-pumped and higher power, but it was a working system last I checked (just had to plug in a couple power cords and twiddle a pot to set the lamp current).

I'd say it weighs somewhere around 200 pounds in its current state; the current cart its mounted on is too jiggly to be shippable but I can send you the parts on a pallet no problem. I haven't looked into freight costs to Canada before though, so I am not sure whether that will be cheaper than UPS.

Unrelatedly if someone wants just the optical deck or the ALE I can part the system out, I'm kind of fond of the nice DI heat exchanger and have other uses for it.

Miles: I'm in Canada too, and Fedex ground has great rates within North America. As for duties, bwang can just put whatever value you want on it - if it comes to your "company", you'll only have to pay GST, so even @ $700 value, that's like $35 CDN import costs.

Thanks, that's good to know. I've used fedex in the past to ship my lasers for shows where it made more sense to fly rather than drive down, but all within Canada. Good to know they're reasonably priced even with international brokerage fees.

Unfortunately I ended up with some unexpected expenses a couple days after posting, so just can't afford it for the moment. Definitely is something I'm interested in though, with any luck will still be available in a couple of weeks.