Thread: eye magic IRIS and diode lasers

Default eye magic IRIS and diode lasers

I have an iris system from eye magic and I never set it up. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these on an all diode laser setup. What I am hoping to achieve is better control in the low end on the diodes. The didoes work great once biased but I wonder if this system could linearize the diode lasers in the 0-say10% modulation range. I want to do some nice color control for some shows I'm doing but if nobody will ever be able to see it unless they run gas and pcaom, I'm not going to bother.

I'd really like to hear from Tom himself. Maybe he can strip down the iris to jus the light control board and offer that at a lower price. This is really the last piece of the puzzle to get pcaom quality modulation from diode lasers. The do great in the higher range and don't even need the delay line part of the iris. They just need the light control. That also means no bias is needed and no beam suppression is needed. It would be built right in.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i wonder if you couldn't achieve nearly the same results with a combination of biasing and beam suppression.

in my experience, the trade off for awesome low end linearity is having diode glow.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I have an iris system from eye magic and I never set it up. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these on an all diode laser setup. What I am hoping to achieve is better control in the low end on the diodes. The didoes work great once biased but I wonder if this system could linearize the diode lasers in the 0-say10% modulation range. I want to do some nice color control for some shows I'm doing but if nobody will ever be able to see it unless they run gas and pcaom, I'm not going to bother.

I'd really like to hear from Tom himself. Maybe he can strip down the iris to jus the light control board and offer that at a lower price. This is really the last piece of the puzzle to get pcaom quality modulation from diode lasers. The do great in the higher range and don't even need the delay line part of the iris. They just need the light control. That also means no bias is needed and no beam suppression is needed. It would be built right in.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

really no you can't. and it seems to change with temperature and phase of the moon. some days its good and some days its not. no remember I'm REALLY picky about my colors. I refuse to accept 0, 50, 100 % modulation and the mixes of those. I like building color pallets that have a theme like a fluorescent one, a 488nm inspired one, the normal mix etc...there are a lot of small style changes you can do by picking the colors you work with rather than just relying on what the software gives you. We have the tools to do this now. Now it will be the artist that separates the laserists and not the hardware.

i'd like to see what you're doing. are you using LSX or Pangolin?

really no you can't. and it seems to change with temperature and phase of the moon. some days its good and some days its not. no remember I'm REALLY picky about my colors. I refuse to accept 0, 50, 100 % modulation and the mixes of those. I like building color pallets that have a theme like a fluorescent one, a 488nm inspired one, the normal mix etc...there are a lot of small style changes you can do by picking the colors you work with rather than just relying on what the software gives you. We have the tools to do this now. Now it will be the artist that separates the laserists and not the hardware.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

don' t worry y'all.

Bill will chime in promptly to explain in depth what Tom's board can do (or can't do actually)
    Rumour has it that he will also convey field results from a prominent laserist's home

on a more serious note, I, too, would like to see what kecked does with his colour pallets.
    swami, if i recall, he is using pangolin, ld2000 ?
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i'd like to see what you're doing. are you using LSX or Pangolin?
    It's something found in Beyond. From memory I think you can also assign different cues to different palettes so you can have a mixture of different palettes and thus colour balances in a single show (both live or programmed).

I wouldn't know if there was anything comparable in LSX. I would probably guess not because it goes beyond mere palette training as you can also compensate for modulation - it's effectively a Stanwax / DZ Colour Board that's software based in addition to a palette.

yeah... setting modulation curves in LSX is pretty easy and fast. i find it much easier to work with than palette training in LD2k (personal opinion, not criticism).

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    It's something found in Beyond. From memory I think you can also assign different cues to different palettes so you can have a mixture of different palettes and thus colour balances in a single show (both live or programmed).

I wouldn't know if there was anything comparable in LSX. I would probably guess not because it goes beyond mere palette training as you can also compensate for modulation - it's effectively a Stanwax / DZ Colour Board that's software based in addition to a palette.

I have 2 IRIS systems implemented. Due to the IRIS being a closed loop system, it monitors power output via beam sensor and linearizes the laser output power proportional and real-time to the input signal. Diodes like the 445nm’s need to be biased to off in order for the IRIS to be able to function correctly in the low power end.

http://www.eyemagic.gr/laser-iris-colorsafe.html

thanks solarfire. Do you find it does the job in the low end on diodes? I guess I should just hook it up and see!

Yes I use ld2000 on a qm2000. I also use LSX via my sound card to a raven systems transcoder. I do 90% of my work in LD2000 rendered from 3dsmax.

The pallets are standard pallets. It is just I chose the colors so they make sets of hue styles. I think there are 65000 colors for an 8 bit system. LSx I think is 24 bit? Now bear in mind the differences are so small it doesn't matter. You can very good control with 8 bits but I'd love to see it possible to pick a color like in photoshop with the sliders. That requires that you can control color that well to do that. Hence light control. No other way.

I think Tom has a really god product here. It is just a bit expensive. It is the light feedback control that makes the difference between this and the DZ flavor board. We don't need to slow down our diodes we need to be able to control the diodes. Hence light control is the best way to do this.

thanks solarfire. Do you find it does the job in the low end on diodes? I guess I should just hook it up and see!
    Yes it is a bit expensive but IMHO and for me it was well worth it, but I’m pretty anal about my system and this kind of gives it the high-end touch with the closed loop color correction and safety zone. Kinda surprised you had one for so long but haven’t implemented it yet?