Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the RC crowd

I plan to do the same thing with my quadcopter at SELEM this year with a much smaller and simpler spiro projector, but this will be indoors at a private event and a much lower powered laser. I'm doing it as a joke or gimmick. I have no plans to ever do anything like that outside the event. From the looks of the video it seems to me like they are marketing their rig. I can't say I agree with the use of any UAV with high powered lasers attached for entertainment purposes. The risks are very high unless they took the time to add safety shutters attached to all three axis (which I doubt they did).

With that being said I have to admit it is really cool!
    Chris

Micro Laser Drone Experience the first ever Micro Laser Drone flight! 1.800.605.7099 Nu-Salt Laser Light Shows International presents the" Gorilla Drone Laser Project." Perfect for entertainment, advertising, statements, marketing, branding, or simply getting people's attention. The Micro Laser is a very light-weight and powerfully bright 10 Watt (10,000mW) RGB full-color laser light show system. It's completely wireless and controlled with a laptop computer using Pangolin Beyond software and controller. Its ultra high-speed scanners project seamlessly clean animations, beams, waves, fans, and text in an unlimited selection or colors . The sky is the limit with this innovative new product that used the newest laser diode science and technology available. Testing took place in a controlled outdoor environment with all laser light show and flight safety procedures in place for a successful and exciting display of new technology.

Disclaimer:
    Restrictions apply to the location and use of this effect. Many Countries, Counties, States, Provinces, or Districts have there own official regulations that will need to be addressed and meet. But most importantly Safety and compliance is maintained and our number one priority. All laser effects were in compliance with regulations, and We do not recommend the projection of lasers into airspace, without consent of the FAA in the USA. This video was made with proper notification and terminated laser beams onto a water tower in secure remote location.

The system is not offered for sale but only to be book by nu-salt laser light shows international to ensure no miss use. This laser effect was performed by nu-salt laser professionals and should not be attempted by anyone, anywhere, for any reason.
    Sorry for the hijack Brad. I didnt think this would turn into a full blown safety course, a "what if", and opinion debate. I think its cool, and innovated run by laser professionals using high end equipment. If I posted a kid doing something like this, than OK. But give me a break fellas. This thing rocks. If you cant appreciate this then I've got nothing more to say.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    I plan to do the same thing with my quadcopter at SELEM this year with a much smaller and simpler spiro projector, but this will be indoors at a private event and a much lower powered laser.
    By the reaction of some of the people here I'd leave it home.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

As the organizer behind SELEM, I fully support Chris' idea to bring his quad with a low-power spirograph projector mounted on it. Chris is not just an experienced RC pilot. He also has his private pilot's license and owns his own plane. He is well aware of the rules, but more importantly, he understands the risks of both RC birds AND lasers. I trust him to do things correctly and safely.

All that being said, Stuka's point is spot-on. Quads don't auto-rotate like regular helicopters do, nor will they glide like a plane will, in cases where you lose power. Likewise, quads are being flown over populated areas with far more frequency than othe RC craft ever were. Back in the day, you took your plane or helicopter out to a club-managed field and flew there. You damned sure didn't fly it over downtown traffic.

The stunt with the quad-copter in the fireworks show could have been done better, but at least it was over water. If the bird failed, it would have landed in the drink. Not the best idea, but a lot safer than flying over city streets. (Not to mention near airports!)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Good point, but how are you supposed to get experienced if you dont crash it every once in a while? There are n00bs in every hobby. Some stay n00bs, others become enthusiasts. You cant have greatness without failure.
    The problem is WHERE and all too often, how HIGH the noobs / inconsiderate / uninformed pilots are flying.

Even a quad the size of my Blade 350 QX can present a real hazard to actual air traffic, and if a failure occurs over a populated area, it could definitely seriously injure someone or cause some severe damage to property (pretty sure a that an almost-aerodynamic 1-2 pound brick falling from altitude could still do some real damage).

In general, if airplanes experience a power failure at altitude, they can at least glide, and helicopters can autorotate.
    Multirotors can do neither, and have critical components (flimsy props, for example, on some of the larger hobby-shop variety quads) that are more likely to fail in flight from use and abuse than most planes and helicopters. I know that some multirotors have a "single-engine out" failure mode that allows them to still be controlled relatively safely, but many of the multirotor incidents you read about are with the store-bought ready-to-fly GoPro-carrying quads that will drop like a rock if power or a prop fails.

I'm not against multirotors by any means -
    like the lasers, I have a lot invested in this particular hobby, as well.

Unfortunately, as with some laser users, inconsiderate and/or clueless dumbasses are making it into the news by pulling stupid stunts that are going to make it harder for the rest of us to be able to participate in and truly enjoy the hobby.

And for the record, I would love to see Chris's rig flying at SELEM, but unfortunately won't be able to make it this year.
    I guess I'll have to wait and watch the online video - equipped with all the appropriate expanations & disclaimers, of course!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 07-15-2014 at 06:33.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Sorry for the hijack Brad. I didnt think this would turn into a full blown safety course, a "what if", and opinion debate.
    No worries. That's part of PL and often more interesting than the original post. I have to imagine though, that we're talking about "real" RC stuff and not necessarily a little $60 quad off Banggood that's only going 75 feet up around the patio outside my building. If that's a threat to a plane, there is damn sure more of an issue going on with the plane than with my quad!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    As the organizer behind SELEM, I fully support Chris' idea to bring his quad with a low-power spirograph projector mounted on it. Chris is not just an experienced RC pilot. He also has his private pilot's license and owns his own plane. He is well aware of the rules, but more importantly, he understands the risks of both RC birds AND lasers. I trust him to do things correctly and safely.
    Adam
    Adam,
    Thank you for the support, but we will have an in depth discussion before we attempt it. The last thing I want is to bring bad publicity to anyone or any group including PL & the RC community.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    And for the record, I would love to see Chris's rig flying at SELEM, but unfortunately won't be able to make it this year.
    I guess I'll have to wait and watch the online video - equipped with all the appropriate explanations & disclaimers, of course!!
    Randy,
    I thought you were going to make it this year. Damn!
    After the heated discussion here I'm not sure I want to post video of this little stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I have to imagine though, that we're talking about "real" RC stuff and not necessarily a little $60 quad off Banggood that's only going 75 feet up around the patio outside my building. If that's a threat to a plane, there is damn sure more of an issue going on with the plane than with my quad!
    Brad,
    I would never want to hit anything while I'm flying, but I have to say if I were to hit one of the $60 Bangood quads with my full size Cessna square in the windshield or directly into the engine I doubt much of anything would happen. Of course every situation is different and I don't know since I've never hit one, but there isn't enough mass to do much if any damage. The worst thing I can think of is the LiPo battery catching on fire in the engine compartment (which is divided by sheet metal to guide air over the heads for cooling), but those batteries are so small that it would hopefully burn it self out before catching anything else on fire. It would also have to make it past the prop which would likely throw it before it could get in the engine.

These are the opinion of one rambling fool. Lol
    Chris
    Last edited by Lazerjock; 07-15-2014 at 07:53.

You really know how to take the fun out of things. You must be fun at Christmas, and birthday parties.
    He he. Maybe. Where's my invite?

I'll respond to that -

One of the big differences with the quads / multirotors is that unlike most RC pilots that fly planes and helicopters (micros being the exception) in fairly safe or designated areas, many multirotor pilots are flying around and over populated areas, and not staying within the confines of a designated flying site. Additionally, fairly big ready-to-go quads can be bought from the local hobby shop with a fairly small investment, and often by potential pilots who are proving to be lacking in both skills and common sense.

It's not often that you see a coventional RC plane or helicopter flying over populated areas, but with the quads it is happening all too often. And while the technology is actually quite incredible, we're still talking about fairly cheaply-made mass-produced machines that are subject to failures, often being flown by inexperienced "pilots" with little or no interest or experience in properly maintaining their machines. Given that multi rotors (especially quads) have the glide path of a brick if something fails, the results of a failure over populated areas can present a real hazard of injury or expensive property damage to populated areas below. Also, while designated RC fields are generally published in NOTAMS and know to area air traffic, lone-wolf quad flyers are more and more often flying in areas with little or no regard to the real air traffic above or around them.
    +1.

By the reaction of some of the people here I'd leave it home.
    I think that's taking it a little far. In a controlled area by persons aware of the risks is a different matter to doing it for a public show.

Not at all trying to take the fun away. You're video was really cool. It's just not something that in my opinion would be prudent near a commercial audience. Too many variables and too little equipment reliability. Very high risk unless done very very carefully with lots of safety measures.

BTW Brad, the fireworks were cool.
    Last edited by White-Light; 07-16-2014 at 00:07.

Between the bad news coverage of high-power laser pointers, and now "drone" coverage like this, it's going to get tougher for us hobbyists in the future, I'm afraid...

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/N...267400371.html
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Between the bad news coverage of high-power laser pointers, and now "drone" coverage like this, it's going to get tougher for us hobbyists in the future, I'm afraid...

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/N...267400371.html
    That's why you need to make it to SELEM!!! Lord knows something may happen and all laser and drone activities get banned and THEN you'll end up lamenting letting a silly little thing like a family objection get in the way and missing it. All you'll be able to do at that point IS spend time with them. Sheesh!! Who is it?? Household number 6 I need to convince??