Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2014 F/S or Trade Thread

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    I'm a noob and attending SELEM. (see my intro noob thread here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...noob-questions )

I'm looking for an entry-level RGB projector for home laser shows using Quickshow. At least 1W, >=20k scanners, analog would be nice, but not critical. Also something I can carry-on for my flight back.

If I don't pick something up at SELEM, I'm considering something like:
    LK-PD2 or LK-PD3
    xLaser Mobile Beat
    Pluto II
    Reke
    You may do very well to look at buffo's Alphalite above. It's certainly nicer than a couple of things I'm thinking of putting in the Buy/Sell room.

Interesting, but I wonder what the asking price is? I'll definitely look at it at SELEM! Thanks, Brad.

I might have a couple projectors for sale at SELEM. Check with me when you get there.

As for the Alphalite box, I'm thinking ~ $800.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I might have a couple projectors for sale at SELEM. Check with me when you get there.
    As for the Alphalite box, I'm thinking ~ $800.
    Any more details on this projector? Is it custom built? Any pics? Analog or digital? Will it work with QS? I searched the forum, but nothing really turned up. How does it compare to the other entry-level boxes I mentioned above (LK, xLaser, Pluto)?

Or if you prefer, I can wait until SELEM to see it in person.

thanks.

I'll take the liberty of jumping in and helping with some answers for you. This started life as a green only projector I believe in 2006. You can see some of the pictures in buffo's gallery. (Click "Gallery" at the top of the page.) I know I have a picture or two around of it as well. It has been hobbyist customized over time to reach it's current state of an RGB. Yes, it's analog as opposed to TTL and yes, Quickshow (or any other software) will work with it as it has ILDA input.

As compared to the brands/models listed, the comparison to an LK-PD2 or 3 isn't an apples to apples comparison since their claim to fame is the effects wheel assembly that's unique to those projectors. I'd venture to say buffo has better scanners in the Alphalite. Yes, it's better than the REKE. It's also not fair to compare it with a Pluto that's twice the power and is a truly manufactured unit at more than twice the price. As far as the mobile beat, Adam may or may not agree that the X-Laser product is better (although not as powerful) but the other thing you'd get with the mobile beat is a variance/varianced projector. It's also a brand new out of the box manufactured unit with warranty - and costs more. (I think if I remember correctly the mobile beat is TTL so, you'd get more colors from the Alphalite) I could be wrong though.

I can confidently say though that as a starter projector for home use, you'd be pleased with the Alphalite and the price is certainly perfectly reasonable. You'd get the entire backstory on the unit (in great detail) and a tremendous after the sale resource if you had questions.

As a matter of fact... if you wait too long, I might have talked myself into buyi... ... oh, nevermind. Step away from the keyboard, Brad!

Sounds great, thanks Brad! I'm looking forward to seeing it at SELEM if it's not sold by then.

Is this the box it's in? Looks kinda large.

Its not as large as the photo make it out to be. You could take it home on a plane. From memory I'd estimate about 13-14" x 10" x 7". I'm sure Adam will correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If one of.the coherents is a highlight or skylight frame i,m interested
    There's a skylight 70 that's gas intact. It's currently reserved for someone at SELEM, if they pass you're next in line. Will you be attending SELEM? Shipping the Skylight isn't going to be cheap...

No interest in the HeCads? or anything else? The 3 little scan heads are reserved and a couple of the pcaoms are reserved. The Lexel Krypton is also reserved for someone at SELEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Its not as large as the photo make it out to be. You could take it home on a plane. From memory I'd estimate about 13-14" x 10" x 7". I'm sure Adam will correct me.
    You're close, Brad! It's 14" x 12" x 6 ".

It's home-made. I did the optical table; DZ did the wiring. 275 mw Lasever DPSS Green, custom-built 730 mw quad 660 nm red (Thanks to MechEng3), and a home-built 300 mw 445 nm blue (can be turned up to 900 mw) in an Aixis module on a microlabs mount. Everything supports full analog modulation. Scanners are 40K-capable, but are tuned for 30K. I can run the ILDA test pattern at around 15 degrees, which is more than respectable.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 07-28-2014 at 04:25.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    You're close, Brad! It's 14" x 12" x 6 ".

It's home-made. I did the optical table; DZ did the wiring. 275 mw Lasever DPSS Green, custom-built quad 660 nm red (Thanks to MechEng3), and a home-built 445 nm blue in an Aixis module on a microlabs mount. Everything supports full analog modulation. Scanners are 40K-capable, but are tuned for 30K. I can run the ILDA test pattern at around 15 degrees, which is more than respectable.

Adam
    that sounds like a nice little system. it's a good thing i don't need another projector..
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.