Thread: I know it might come across as funny or ironic, but...

Default I know it might come across as funny or ironic, but...

I'm looking for a laser diode

In the near future, I will be receiving some OSRAM green laser diodes that also have a photodiode built in. The built in photodiode is important for the particular project we are working on. However I'd like to do some testing even before that green diode comes in and so I am looking for a "surrogate" (i.e. stand-in).

I am wondering if anyone here on PL can source (or tell me where I can source) a laser diode (any color) that has built-in photodiode. I would prefer it to be complete, insomuch as laser diode, holder and collimating lens.

Basically I'd like to bring 3 wires to the package and go.

AHA, one more thing. This OSRAM green laser diode has connections such that the case is the common, positive terminal (Anode of the Laser Diode, but also Cathode of the Photodiode) and so -- ideally -- the surrogate laser diode should have the same connection scheme.

Please let me know what you all know...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I'm looking for a laser diode

In the near future, I will be receiving some OSRAM green laser diodes that also have a photodiode built in. The built in photodiode is important for the particular project we are working on. However I'd like to do some testing even before that green diode comes in and so I am looking for a "surrogate" (i.e. stand-in).

I am wondering if anyone here on PL can source (or tell me where I can source) a laser diode (any color) that has built-in photodiode. I would prefer it to be complete, insomuch as laser diode, holder and collimating lens.

Basically I'd like to bring 3 wires to the package and go.

AHA, one more thing. This OSRAM green laser diode has connections such that the case is the common, positive terminal (Anode of the Laser Diode, but also Cathode of the Photodiode) and so -- ideally -- the surrogate laser diode should have the same connection scheme.

Please let me know what you all know...

Bill
    Hi Bill, you should probably send a PM to user DTR. I've ordered diodes from him in the past and he has several fantastic reviews of diodes here on the forum. I'm sure he could hook you up with what you need.

edit - Hmm, do I sense some kind of new driver or product for light feedback in a projector? It would certainly seem a much better way to do this right inside the diode as opposed to a separate device that needs to be mounted somewhere in an optical path. Anyway, sounds interesting!

Actually David this is for a very interesting project. It's not really a Pangolin product to sell, but very often we get brought into projects to help people solve problems. In this case, the company will use light feedback as a safety input to PASS, which uses the light feedback to make decisions as to the potential safety or hazard level of laser exposures.

SELEM is coming up quite quickly and I'm not sure these would be fully assembled by then but to the extent I have something to show, I will...

Bill

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Bill,

(Not to derail the thread but, getting older I've discovered you have do do things when you think of them otherwise you forget!)

If you happen to see this, if time allows at SELEM during your annual sharing of all things Pangolin, I (and perhaps others) would appreciate a quick demo of setting up/fine tuning the safety scan lens using your mount. I'll supply the projector, lens and mount. Mainly the "tilt" feature as it relates to the 3 degrees of freedom necessary to set it up correctly. I get a lot of artifacts that appear all over the floor in front of the projector when using it. It's probably reflections off the galvo block and just needs additional masking but, didn't know if it can be minimized by lens adjustment. I also need to see about possibly exchanging some lenses one of these days, as buying half a dozen of all the same size diopter wasn't smart on my part.

Just something to think about as it relates to your talk.
    Thanks!!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Bill,

Look for diodes from Mitsubishi, Nichia, Opnext, Osram, Oclaro, and Sharp, Be aware that there are least three or more standard pinouts for three lead diode packages.
    Most small greens are from Osram.

A good vendor for sample level sales is here: http://www.rpmclasers.com/our-primaries

Roithner stocks nearly everything on the market:

http://www.roithner-laser.com/

I get low cost 5$ "throwaways" from Meredith.

www.mi-lasers.com

IC Haus has good app notes covering the various pinouts of LDs:

http://www.ichaus.de/product/iC-NZN

Typical green, in this case without internal diode:

http://www.dpss.ro/datasheets/PL_520_2012-10-23.pdf

Most of the small diodes we use for display no longer have a internal PD.

DTRs sales website:

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-10-2014 at 03:47.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I have some SDL7501 and 7311 diodes that are wired that way. They're pretty low power - 15mW @ 635nm / 30mW @ 680nm at around 100mA. Yours for the asking if you think they'll work for you.

http://www.junktronix.com/ebay/proddocs/sdl-7501.pdf