Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SELEM Hotels?

Default SELEM Hotels?

Against my better judgment, I think I am going to try to get out to SC for SELEM! Right now I am looking at flights from LAX to Charleston, and was wondering when people are arriving and how I would get from airport to the event. Additionally, hotel recommendations would be superb!

I hope this planning works and I get to meet everyone!
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGarcia View Post
    Against my better judgment, I think I am going to try to get out to SC for SELEM! Right now I am looking at flights from LAX to Charleston,
    Don't fly to Charleston! You'd be looking at a 4-hour car ride to get to the venue! And while I'd certainly enjoy the company on my trip, I usually pack my Jeep so full that there isn't room for a passenger. (In fact, this year I'll have to bring the trailer again, in addition to all the stuff in the Jeep!) Plus I won't be heading home until Monday.

Look into flights to Charlote (CLT) or Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP) airports. They are closest to the venue.

As for transportation, if you fly into Charlotte you have a good chance of catching a ride with someone else who will also be flying in. Greenville-Spartanburg might be a cheaper plane ticket, but you'd probably have to rent a car since not many people fly in that way. (It's a smaller airport, but oddly enough it usually has cheaper air fares.) Alternately, you may be able to catch a ride with Neil (Icecruncher), as he lives in the Charlotte area.

Have a look at the very first post in the SELEM sign-up thread for more details. Also, most everyone stays at the Holiday Inn Express in Connover. Phone numbers and rates are also in that first post in the SELEM sign-up thread.

Adam

I wont be able to get a car due to being 19, so definitely looking for a ride! Thanks for the information!
    -

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I know there are a few people flying in so, you might want to list your expected arrival time so you can compare notes or see if one of us needs to make a trip to pick you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I know there are a few people flying in so, you might want to list your expected arrival time so you can compare notes or see if one of us needs to make a trip to pick you up.
    Well I haven't purchased my flight or hotel yet, I want to make sure my flights and hotel are the easiest and most convenient for me to find rides
    -

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hotel is easy, just plan on the Holiday Inn Express and maybe throw out there that you're looking for a room to crash in and share expenses.

As far as flights, I don't know what others are doing but Wednesday evening could be a good arrival time as after about 5 pm, we just grab dinner and have a more social relaxing evening and perhaps someone will be free to make an airport run. I picked up swami last year I believe on set up evening and just left the restaurant a bit early to run to the airport. Cell phones are you're friend at this particular airport as it's a bit difficult to get short term parking and come in to meet you inside the terminal. There are a few cell phone waiting lots close by and once you pick up any bags from baggage claim, the driving time from the cell phone lot to the curbside pickup is only about a minute.

The next good time is probably early Thursday afternoon. That's usually about the time some of us have to run out to Radio Shack and Home Depot to get the stupid little electrical doodad we forgot in order to get something to work. So things slow down a bit as far as the activities.

As far as flying out I'd look for early afternoon on Sunday if possible, unless you're staying until Monday. That's when the maximum number of possible rides are still around. Once late Sunday hits, it will get harder although there may be more that stay over until Monday this year since we've got a bit of a surprise planned for Sunday evening. (Buffo may have announced it, I don't recall.) Usually it's just the people taking the LSO class on Monday and they're tied up from 8:30 am until about 6 pm. You'll want to shoot for the maximum number of arrival and departure chances as far as rides are concerned.

Another airport option for anyone interested is Piedmont International Airport in Greensboro, NC. It's a small airport and probably around 1.5 hrs drive from Newton but sometimes you can get better prices there. Doesn't hurt to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Once late Sunday hits, it will get harder although there may be more that stay over until Monday this year since we've got a bit of a surprise planned for Sunday evening. (Buffo may have announced it, I don't recall.)
    It's official. I just started a new thread about it here.

Adam

I don't know if there's a separate thread for this, but I'm flying into Charlotte Thursday morning about 10:10am and getting a rental car. I'm happy to give a couple of people rides to the show. I'm flying out Sunday at 7:25pm, so likewise, I can give a couple of people rides back to Charlotte on Sunday afternoon.

PM me if you'd like to arrange something with me.

Thanks for offering rides, Hank! If anyone needs a ride, I'll point them to this thread.

Adam