Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wiring DT40Pro's - Help Please

Is it better to run differential or single ended ? And what is the advantage of either?
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Hi Astro

single ended is just the normal way (0 to +5v) to send the signal from your dac to the scan amplifier .... it fine if your PC and Dac are fairly local to the projector and you have good screened cable to prevent noise pickup ...

the advantages of differential ( also known in the audio world as ballanced line ) is that any Electrical noise ... 50/60 hz hum or spikes from dimmerpacks etc ... will be cancelled out in the Opamp and you wont see it in the image ....

For example on my Rig .....when doing beamshows i have a 150m / 450ft control cable that i can run from the front to the back of the venue this has the dac analog voltages and interlock/ shutter safety signals and as im using differential signals the scanners show no noise pickup from the cable ( even a few millivolts of noise would be visible ) ...

oh ... and if you do ever have to do along run its better to use twisted pair individualy screened cable as this will also help give you maximun noise rejection

all the best mate ... Karl
    Last edited by Banthai; 03-31-2007 at 15:23.

Does the DB25 connector come with the scanners?

No. The scanners will have a small input plug on the amps. You'll either have X+ and X- on one, with Y+ and Y- on the other (so-called differential inputs), or you'll have X+ and ground on one, and Y+ and ground on the other. (This is single-ended input.) You need to connect the wires from that input plug to the ILDA connector (DB-25 plug) that you'll install on your projector. You also need to connect the wires for the blanking signals for your lasers, plus your shutter, plus any interlock wiring, to that same DB-25 plug. Make sure you get the right wires on the right pins!

Basically once you've wired up everything inside your projector, you bring all the signal wires out to the DB-25 plug on the side of the case. (You can buy one at Radio Shack for a couple bucks.) This will be your projector's ILDA connector, and it's where the 25-pin cable from your controller will plug into. All the signals to control the lasers, the galvos, and the shutter, will be sent over this cable to this 25-pin plug on your projector. The ILDA standard defines which signals should be present on which pin, so that if your projector is wired to be ILDA compliant, you can plug your projector into *ANY* laser controller that supports ILDA output and it will work.

Adam

Sorry thats what I meant Adam, I knew that the actually scanners themselves did not have that connector, I was wondering if it came in the kit, to wire the inputs etc to., but it doesnt matter now, I just bought a few of them ($.60 a piece!)

Cool!

60 cents, eh? That's cheap! I think I paid $1.89 for the one's I bought.

Adam

http://www.winfordeng.com/products/con25.php

$0.60 ea. + $5 Flat Rate Shipping

I was wondering if someone would be able to post a picture of their DT-40s wired up, I just got my set and have some questions that could be cleared up with a clear picture.

try search and you will find

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

Default Try this

I dont know if this will help.
    This is from the DT40-Pro manual PCB page.
    On here you can see it has a + and a - for each amplifier input. It also has a ground on the two middle pins.. in other words a 'balanced' input.
    Also look at the circuit diagram kindly given here as an attachment and you see the input configuration.
    Did you get the manual with your DT40's I didnt but you can down load it from Jian's site. Let me know if you need the link to his manual.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ
    Attached Files Attached Files