Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIYA GLS "GET LASER SHOW" Software and Dac from Illumination Supply

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default RIYA GLS "GET LASER SHOW" Software and Dac from Illumination Supply

Illumination Supply in connection with RIYA Lasers LTD offered me a Sample of their New Product for review. RIYA also sells it Directly.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to the product other then getting to keep my sample device:

What it is:

1. A USB DAC, A new version of Riya Multibus Lite, with new chipset.
    2. Get Laser Show Pro Software, A timeline editor.
    3. 91 Sample Beamshows* and one Demo Graphics Show. Five "Live Shows" configured for real time control.

* Some are Multiple Scan Head Versions of the Same Show.

Installation time: Under 3 minutes on a fast laptop with Win 7 64 Bit after downloading ZIP file.

Cost, ~ 150 USD and Shipping.

Software:

Real Time and PIC Edit, It is a LDS Derivative which RIYA bought/licensed.

Dongle:. Output device is the Dongle. Show Editing Software runs without Device attached on my reviewed version.

File Types: PIC, CAT , .RTD (RealTime Document)
    ILDA Import: Type Zero only at this Time. Other ILDA file types expected shortly.
    ILDA Export: Disabled.
    TRACKS: 128 in Show Editor
    Scan Heads: Up to FOUR output devices are available.

Color: Uses LDS style Palettes, ILDA Palette and two others included, 64 Color Palette plus fading. User can create own Palette and Palette transfers with show file.

Backward Compatibility with Older Riya Products: Firmware upgrade may be required for Older devices.

Hardware works with LSX/Zoof Etc: Yes with some new files copied over to the directory.

Real Time Control: Mouse/Midi In using keys assigned to an existing show. As well as 40 cue "touch screen" real time controller with sliders. (DMX, unknown at this time)

3D Editing, Yes.

3D PIC Frame editor, YES.

Real Time Preview: Yes with Graphics and Simulated Fog Scattering.

Programmable Beam Safety Zones: Yes

File Export, Export your own shows as created, file is RTD format, security using serial number is available.

Interlock: Pins 11 and 17 are shorted inside the Dongle, a Kvant and a RGB Systems projector both instantly recognized the ILDA connection

Granularity: Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Frames (A frame is a 30th of a second)

Scrolling Text: Yes, One line in real time. Also available as a effect in the timeline.

Printed Manual: None

Electronic Manual: Two Word Documents.

Abstract Generator: One type

Expression Evaluator: Yes, Evaluates expressions in the Show Editor.

Sound Support: MP3, AVI, WAV, CD.

FFT/Audio Waveform viewing: Uses Winamp as a plug-in.

Sound /Mouse/ Joystick/ Keyboard applied to effects in real time, Yes...

Max Scan Speed (Software Limit) 30 Kpps.

Drive for Beamtables and External Effects: Not with the "Lite" DAC.

DMX In/Out: NO

SMPTE TIMECODE IN: YES with third party hardware.

Autotrace: No

Onionskinning, Rotoscoping, or Import object to trace manually: NO

Bitmap Imports to scan as Raster: Yes.(Developmental)

Impressions: The price point is wonderful for what it does. I was impressed. My first encounter with this, we hooked it straight to a 21 watt RGB Kvant on a show site, and things worked right off the bat. The Palette restriction is not that bad, and more then enough demo shows are included to learn from. I tested the ILDA import with several files, and it works well. Software installation is painless, and there is no wait to get a serial number. I'd recommend a faster laptop for initial use. I saw no stuttering, the graphics output is smooth.... For the version I have, you can edit without the output device attached, which is very nice. Flying back from the show, I edited content on the plane. This drew a few odd looks from my seatmates, but it was nice to edit without a Dongle. The expression editor is there, and it works. This is really a full featured show editor with all the bells and whistles. The SMPTE time code input opens possibilities for experimenters.

This will bury the need for "Sound Card Dac" once and for all. There will be no reason to tolerate a poor quality laser show when this is available.

Its similar to all Laser Design Studio Derivatives, including LSX(tm)* This is very close to Lennart Wietzke's original product.

Depressions: The time line editor needs work to add/ improve drop and drag functionality with a three button mouse. I could best achieve what I wanted by clicking the timeline to add a event and then editing the start and end times by inputting the time code on the keyboard. Maybe I'm missing something, but that portion is "clunky". This just means it takes a bit longer to edit a show if need be. It is not a "showstopper".

If the laptop freezes, the last frame is output and the laser does not go out, that could be worrisome with a audience scanning situation .... I did not have any freeze ups from GLS, but I did crash the laptop to see what would happen.

Without the ability to load a logo as a PNG or Bitmap to manually trace, a lot of club users will be at a disadvantage.

ADVICE: Beginners should take a screen shot (CNTRL + Printscreen, then paste in "Paint") of the scanner settings when it the software arrives, there are many options in the scan adjust menu. It would be fairly easy to change timing and not have a way to get back to defaults.

.................................................. .................................................

Would I buy, YES, and this will make a terrific backup package as well. When the DAC fits in your pocket, there are serious advantages...

Output quality was what you'd expect from a RIYA Dac, very solid and repeatable with no Jitter...

This is maximum "Bang for the Buck" for the cost, and has the basics, Graphics Editor, Timeline Editor, Real Time control.

LINK FOR GET LASER SHOW: http://getlasershow.com/

Steve

Screenshots:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GLSscreenshot1.png  

GLSscreenshot2.png  

GLSscreenshot3.png  

GLSscreenshot4.png  

Last edited by mixedgas; 07-23-2014 at 15:45.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Something to hopefully steer the iShow newbies too! I'm most interested what the beam shows were. Are they original or, are they just the same old "packaged with LSX & Phoenix" shows that have been around for ages? For $150 for 91 new beam shows, that in itself is worth it if there is some good content there.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

they are mostly, if not completely, the same beam shows that come with LSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Something to hopefully steer the iShow newbies too! I'm most interested what the beam shows were. Are they original or, are they just the same old "packaged with LSX & Phoenix" shows that have been around for ages? For $150 for 91 new beam shows, that in itself is worth it if there is some good content there.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Brad, As for included shows, Mostly old friends, a few new ones. This buries Ishow in the Dust. At the price, content will be available as users increase. Illumination Supply openly said this will be a stepping stone for beginners, and that is one of their intentions. For example, you can learn this and move right to Phoenix or LSX.

Most beginners have never seen content like this, so deconstructing it to learn from is NOT a bad thing. The European world considers those as "decent" or "great" beamshows, it is a matter of regional tastes.

Swami has one, and that will be review two.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-09-2014 at 13:21.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ok, thanks. I'll take that under advisement. "A stepping stone" for LSX isn't such a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. My eyes still glaze over when I occasionally fire it up.

I was also supplied with the software and DAC from RIYA Lasers and hopefully plan to sell the DAC with Spaghetti or separately for a nice price. To be determined...

I received a email from Riya...
    I stand corrected on the show count, it is 46 included shows, times two files per show.
    The Directory shows 91 files.

Actual RGB output is three eight bit DACS.

Steve

I've been wanting to get my projector out again and need to get a different DAC to use with Spaghetti (and a dongle too) and this looks very promising.

so it looks like LSX/LDS but it's not? is it another fork of LDS?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Yes. It's a fork of LDS. Like lsx and Phoenix.

;295933]so it looks like LSX/LDS but it's not? is it another fork of LDS?[/QUOTE]
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.