Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob question on scanners.

Default Noob question on scanners.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. There doesnt seem to be a "General" sub-forum, so I'll post it here.

I'm looking for a cheap 30k galvo set up. I found these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30Kpps-Galvo...item3a7d5722c5

Is this any good? Can I find a decent simular set up for under $200?

I already have the diodes, mounts, FS mirrors, aluminum plate, computer DAC, and Spaghetti. I will be ordering a diode power supply ( I might use a PC PS), dicros, and drivers for the diodes. Is there anything else I need, outside of that kit, to finish a ghetto DIY projector?

The projector will be used in house only, so I dont need super quality.

Thank for help in advance.

Edit: If I can find used parts even better. So if you have any older projector junk laying around shoot me an offer.
    Last edited by TechJunkie; 12-06-2013 at 03:03.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Your in the right place. Lets see what you get

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-06-2013 at 05:44.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Looks ok for the price... though I'd probably bin off the "show card"...

For around $200, you could try one of the more reputable Chinese sellers on the forum?
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

$250 would get you a DT30 set, which have some years under their belt and a lot of customers. They can also be supplied with larger mirrors.
    I've got a couple of cases and DT25 sets in a forsale thread still, take a look if you like.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Those are PT scanners. I have a couple, and find them worth the money. I also like the PT showcard, as it makes it quite easy hooking everything up without soldering. I get up the ebay price of USD 189,- but the freight is a staggering extra USD 100,- from this seller.

I just remembered that I also made an offer to this ebayseller for a 20K set of these scanners. I believe i knocked off USD 40,- from the listed price.

Datsurb
    Last edited by Datsurb; 12-06-2013 at 13:25.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Default Those Ebay scanners look just like these!

Techjunkie,

That scanner set on EBay looks an awful lot like this one, even manufactured in the same location:

http://www.phenixtechnology.com/en/product.html

When I purchased my scanner set from my vendor (who is not on PL as far as I know) he would not tell me the manufacturer 'because I could import them myself for less money'. When I found out how much profit the vendor took on that sale it really bugged me, so I'm "spilling the beans" by posting the manufacturer's website.

I'm happy with the performance for the money. The scanners are a little weak on the graphics side, but very good for beam shows.

@Norty303: Where can you get DT30s for $250 ? Did you mean 250 USD or pounds? The pricing I have seen is more like $345 (lasershowparts.com). Maybe I should purchase a set from you!

Anyway, Techjunkie, I am a novice hobbyist, and it sounds like you are as well. I went ahead and purchased the 20kpps scanners, but it turns out for about the same amount of money I could have purchased the 30k version direct from the manufacturer. Its been two years since I had these scanners quoted, I'll send them an e-mail to get pricing for their 20, 30, and 50K version, I'm curious anyways. The 50K version is the only one that shows a scanned ILDA test frame.

I'll take a picture of a proper ILDA test frame this weekend and post it for review criticism. For now, here is a projection from these scanners so at least you have an idea of what they can do. I was asking the same questions you are a couple years ago... There is also the option of buying from the USA...Pangolin is working on some new scanners that are value priced but they are not really released yet.

PhenixTechnologies 20kpps
    Soundcard homebuilt DAC
    LSX Basic Lasershow Software
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 20k.jpg  

Last edited by JasonB; 12-06-2013 at 12:55. Reason: Wording Mistake

Speak to Winni for the cheap DT's
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Speak to Winni for the cheap DT's
    Wayne (dnar) is going to send me a price list from Winni.

Thanks a lot men. It may take me a few months to pull it off, but at least I know its feasible. *Getting all tingly inside*

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Techjunkie,

That scanner set on EBay looks an awful lot like this one, even manufactured in the same location:

http://www.phenixtechnology.com/en/product.html
    Thanks for the tip. I just emailed them for a price quote. I'll report back.

What about laser drivers? I'd like to go analog. I really like color blending. I dont care about picture animations, I'm more into warping tunnels, fractals, and free form sweeping lines. I think thats what you guys call abstracts. My place is too small for beam shows.

I might have a set of 20's that I got a few years back. They only have ~5-10 hours on them. I was planning to sell a bunch of stuff i don't need and/or use, this weekend. I have to find all the parts, check them for functionality (they were working fine before I moved 4 years ago - have been boxed up ever since). Watch the BST section very soon. I might have a deal for you. I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow.