Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great to see another 462nm diodes

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    I wonder what the available quantity is and how long they will last.
    PM Jordan. I just did. I also ordered a few of them too. I have no immediate use for them, but I would hate to miss the boat. Of course, now that I've spent several hundred bucks, OSRAM is going to come out with 5W single mode 468's for $50

Still not as bad as when I paid $700 for 100mW of 473nm, only to have 445's hit about 6 months later.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Still not as bad as when I paid $700 for 100mW of 473nm,
    Yeh, I'm a member of that club .. now it's just sitting collecting dust :/

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    ...now it's just sitting collecting dust :/
    As is mine . I am going to try to incorporate it into my lumia projector. Oh well, I am sure the ion guys are sniggering at our "plight".

My 462s arrived (yesterday, actually). Thanks for the speedy shipping, Jordan, as always!

With regards to color, I was moderately disappointed when I fired it up and couldn't see much difference. It wasn't until I saw the beams in the fog that I noticed how staggering the difference in color is. I guess seeing the older A140 and M462 as tiny spots on a white wall at full power was a bit too much for my eyes to tell a difference in the color. I have also found that cameras really fail to show the difference as well. In the fog and especially diffused through lumia glass, the color difference is absolutely there. The same goes for scanning as well. The violet tinge that I always found garish in the 445s is completely gone in the 462s. I have often spoken about how much I dislike 445~450 for the blue leg in RGB. These 462s are a VERY nice color blue. No, I am not working for Jordan but get yours while they last, guys. They are a very pleasant blue. Blue, as in, real blue, not Dark Blue e.g. 445. I'll see if I can snap some pics of scanned images but cameras don't cut the mustard for color variation.

I just received the new 5.6mm 462nm from Jordan (DTR) and I gotta say that this is the best blue DI color so far (even better than the 9mm imho ).. maybe because I'm running it hot for the the prelim tests .. or I've had a few toddies , but .. friggin absolutely awesome .. !!!!! I'll post pics soon and maybe compared to the old 445s ... frigin bright blue .. wowwoah I hope I can show up at Selem this year unexpectedly with one of these but who knows .. I might be able to .. I'll have to wait an' see .. depends if there's any vacancies at the Holiday Express left ..
    Last edited by steve-o; 08-09-2014 at 21:07.

I just received the new 5.6mm 462nm from Jordan (DTR) and I gotta say that this is the best blue DI color so far (even better than the 9mm imho ).. maybe because I'm running it hot for the the prelim tests .. or I've had a few toddies , but .. friggin absolutely awesome .. !!!!! I'll post pics soon and maybe compared to the old 445s ... frigin bright blue .. wowwoah
    That's exactly how mine was as well. The beam quality is pretty nice too. I mean, it needs a little clean-up but not bad at all. Nothing a prism pair or cylindrical lens pair couldn't easily fix.

I hope I can show up at Selem this year unexpectedly with one of these but who knows .. I might be able to .. I'll have to wait an' see .. depends if there's any vacancies at the Holiday Express left ..
    Plenty of rooms left at the Holiday Inn Express!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Plenty of rooms left at the Holiday Inn Express!
    Adam
    Great!

_________

Received mine and built them into a dual-diode knife edge setup. Color difference with 450nm is just amazing especially when you look at the reflections on the wall! A real pleasant true blue, without any violet in it.

I'm just a bit disappointed about the power, with 1.6A I have "only" 1.5W per diode, I was expecting around 2W. With my old O-Like lenses.

What are your own power measurement guys? Should I go with 405-G-2 lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Received mine and built them into a dual-diode knife edge setup. Color difference with 450nm is just amazing especially when you look at the reflections on the wall! A real pleasant true blue, without any violet in it.

I'm just a bit disappointed about the power, with 1.6A I have "only" 1.5W per diode, I was expecting around 2W. With my old O-Like lenses.

What are your own power measurement guys? Should I go with 405-G-2 lenses?
    As far as power goes, I know these aren't as up to par as the 9mm 450s but the color is awesome. As you said, "true blue". G-2 lenses are probably going to yield the best output. I believe when Jordan does testing on any diode, he uses G-2s. At 1.6A he is getting 2W. I am guessing it's the collimator. I don't own a power meter so I don't know what mine are spitting out. For me, they are plenty bright enough.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 08-30-2014 at 11:24.