Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public laser show Sunday night (August 17th) for the town of Newton - after SELEM!

Thumbs up Public laser show Sunday night (August 17th) for the town of Newton - after SELEM!

Hey everyone;

Well, it's official. There will be a public laser show for the town of Newton, NC on Sunday evening right after SELEM ends. This is to support their "Soldier's Reunion" festival, which has been going on for many, many decades now. Several people from Newton have commented over the years that it would be really cool to have a show for the general public, and this year we finally made it happen.

The show should start at around 8:30 PM, and I expect it will run for at least 2 hours, and possibly longer if the crowd sticks around. It will be held downtown, at the corner of east A street and south College avenue (right in front of the First Citizen's Bank building).

Here is a terrible looking picture showing the general setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewtonLong.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	43884

There is no charge for admission, so anyone is welcome to attend. If you are planning to stay in town Sunday night, please feel free to come on out and enjoy the fun with us!

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

cool!

are you doing the show?

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey everyone;

Well, it's official. There will be a public laser show for the town of Newton, NC on Sunday evening right after SELEM ends. This is to support their "Soldier's Reunion" festival, which has been going on for many, many decades now. Several people from Newton have commented over the years that it would be really cool to have a show for the general public, and this year we finally made it happen.

The show should start at around 8:30 PM, and I expect it will run for at least 2 hours, and possibly longer if the crowd sticks around. It will be held downtown, at the corner of east A street and south College avenue (right in front of the First Citizen's Bank building).

Here is a terrible looking picture showing the general setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewtonLong.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	43884

There is no charge for admission, so anyone is welcome to attend. If you are planning to stay in town Sunday night, please feel free to come on out and enjoy the fun with us!

Adam
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Yes, with the help of Jeff (RGB-Gas).

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Have you figured out what you are running yet? I see there is scrim and buildings for graphics so I assume there is content to run on that. Are you doing something in keeping with the "soldiers reunion" theme? Have they requested anything in particular?

I'm on the first cup of coffee this morning and in reading through this again, my mind started filling with all the logistical headaches you must be facing. I don't know that you or Jeff actually do custom graphics but yet, there are three termination points for graphics as well as the beams. I'm sort of all of the sudden thinking about the shit ton of planning and programming that needs to go into something like this and wondering what they asked or commissioned for and/or what you had started dreaming up to do.

It's all those swirling questions of what to start with, what's in the middle, what is the climactic end? Is it supposed to be patriotic and if so, I'm thinking about the difficulty of playing live beams in keeping with say, patriotic music. Having done some public mixed shows, my head is suddenly just exploding this morning with the imagined logistics, possible ideas to suggest, as well as pitfalls. Especially for filling two hours!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 07-26-2014 at 11:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Have you figured out what you are running yet?
    Especially for filling two hours!
    I was wondering about that, too. Are you playing a bunch of canned shows or is there going to be a DJ or band that you will be backing up with the live stuff. Hopefully, someone can provide some video of this shindig even if it is only for a few minutes of high lights. I will be gone by then but I think it is really cool that this is happening. I could probably stay but the idea of hanging out that long in Newton on a Sunday night and then driving back home gives me the heebee jeebees.

Mostly canned shows, but we will be playing live beams over the top of the pre-choreographed shows.

No DJ, no band. It's all on us. Still putting together a track list.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just sort of hit me this morning how much work masterminding one of these things can potentially be. I know how much planning and testing that's gone into the longer public type shows I've done here. I knew you sort of had carte blanch to do whatever but, didn't know if they were looking for a theme you had to try and accommodate or something.

Generally it will have a patriotic theme (in support of the Soldier's Reunion Festival), but we plan to mix in some modern tunes as well.

Adam

I just booked my hotel and am staying Sunday night just so I can attend

Looking forward!

^^ me too

...->(*U*)<...
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-