Thread: Pluto II Galvo Sounds / LD2000

Default Pluto II Galvo Sounds / LD2000

I got my Pluto in the latest unprecedented offer and I love it. My biggest regret is NOT buying two!

I THOUGHT my goldenstar laser was high quality when I bought it, and it was compared to my ShinP projectors before it, but the Pluto really is a quality product and built tough.

I have a concern about the galvos. I have scanspeed set for 30K, and most graphics look good, but the galvos make varying amounts of noise, whine, clicks during some parts of shows. Is this normal? I do not want to cause any damage. I have a video of the projected image and the preview in LD2000 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkVD...ature=youtu.be and here http://youtu.be/xH2D2pCKIfQ

The room is quiet except for the galvos and the whoosh sound from the fans in the Pluto.

I did not notice the galvo sound when using Beyond, but it was in a noisy room. Tonight I'll try with Beyond again & listen for noise. This was only the 2nd or 3rd time I have used LD2000 and I was playing the included shows from Pangolin from the quick play window. Is it possible that in LD2000 quick play window the shows each have different scanspeeds that override the projector settings in LD2000?

Any ideas if this is a hardware or software issue? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
    Eric in New Orleans

If it looks good - it is good. If you want to be sure, observe graphics with no blanking and look for ringing or overshoot. Check for overheating. It's normal for scanners to make clicks and boings and other noises. A steady high pitch whine with no scanning signal is not good however.

Good to know. Thanks for the reply.

I tried the projector with Beyond and get the same sounds. I adjusted the scan size in software to see if the sounds changed dramatically but they were pretty much unchanged. I figured if the sounds were lower when the size was smaller, that I had it too large. But since everything looks good I won't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    If it looks good - it is good. If you want to be sure, observe graphics with no blanking and look for ringing or overshoot. Check for overheating. It's normal for scanners to make clicks and boings and other noises. A steady high pitch whine with no scanning signal is not good however.
    Eric in New Orleans

Looking at your posted video everything seems to be ok to me...
    The "sound" is the regular noise of scanners when driven close to their limits (usually because too many points to project or/and too large size of figure projected)
    If you reduce images size or projection angle, the "sound" will surely decrease.
    Remember that your scanners can run at 30K ONLY when setting small projection angle (most times from 4 to 6/8 degrees).

To know how much exactly is your output projection angle (this example = 8 degrees), do this easy way:
    - place your projector 1 meter far from a wall.
    - create a simple square figure (full size on grid of your software) and project it.
    - measure dimensions of the square projected on the wall: each side of square must to be 14 centimetres.

Example for angle = 8 degrees (as just said above)
    distance x tangent of angle = width of figure on the wall
    100cm x 0.1405 = 14.05 cm

For more info, take a look here
    http://www.pangolin.com/userhelp/scanangles.htm
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Steve,

Thanks for the info & help.

I placed it at 1m from the wall and the image was about 55cm. About 4 times too large for 8 degrees, so I put 2 pieces of tape on the wall 14cm apart and then adjusted the scan angle in Beyond until the image fit perfectly. The scanners are quieter and I feel better now knowing I'm not going to damage the galvos.

I hope to have time to play some of your great shows tonight to see how good they make my projector look!

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milani View Post
    Looking at your posted video everything seems to be ok to me...
    The "sound" is the regular noise of scanners when driven close to their limits (usually because too many points to project or/and too large size of figure projected)
    If you reduce images size or projection angle, the "sound" will surely decrease.
    Remember that your scanners can run at 30K ONLY when setting small projection angle (most times from 4 to 6/8 degrees).

To know how much exactly is your output projection angle (this example = 8 degrees), do this easy way:
    - place your projector 1 meter far from a wall.
    - create a simple square figure (full size on grid of your software) and project it.
    - measure dimensions of the square projected on the wall: each side of square must to be 14 centimetres.

Example for angle = 8 degrees (as just said above)
    distance x tangent of angle = width of figure on the wall
    100cm x 0.1405 = 14.05 cm

For more info, take a look here
    http://www.pangolin.com/userhelp/scanangles.htm
    Eric in New Orleans