Thread: Customs Tax / Duty

Default Customs Tax / Duty

SO I've got a laser sitting in India, which needs to go back to GoldenStar for repairs.
    Going to China I'm not worried about but going back to India I am very worried.
    If I send an item from India to another country and then get the same item back, should I have to pay Tax? How can I prove it's the same item? Is this possible?

Thanks

Graham

I had some problems getting some stuff back into the country here.
    Customs (on the return journey) will want to see an export invoice showing the item leaving the country, marked as for repair/warranty that matches the import invoice showing the repaired/replacement item coming back. It took about a week of emails and phone calls to get resolved in my case.

In hindsight, I'd have simply got them to mark the return as worth below the tax threshold, paid the admin fee and received it with far less grief.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

But you've got to get the paperwork right.
    In the UK at least, they tend to assume its chargeable, unless you can prove its not, particularly on small single items.
    Often, you don't find out you don't have the correct proof until its too late.
    Apparently there were all sorts of forms I should've completed with my export for repair, and without them with the import it was a nightmare.
    Frikkin Lasers

Thanks guys.

This is India we are talking about and they Luuuuurve paper work and red tape. ALso love corruption and swindling money out of you so I'm never sure what to do. It's always a gamble.

Will speak to GS and see what they say.

Graham

At the end of the day, if GS declare it as worth less than the tax threshold, you'll simply get charged a handling/clearance fee by the courier (DHL or Fedex probably) and you'll get your package in the quickest time.
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    At the end of the day, if GS declare it as worth less than the tax threshold, you'll simply get charged a handling/clearance fee by the courier (DHL or Fedex probably) and you'll get your package in the quickest time.
    The world over?

Well I would imagine customs works in a similar way globally.

Why not try and use the internet to find out how it works in India
    Frikkin Lasers

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

The following is pretty much required world wide.

Make sure the unit has a permanently affixed, unique, metal serial number tag with its model number on it. Find out what India's minimum documentation of proof of ownership is. Usually declaring the serial on the outbound unit is needed. The same unit has to come back, no changes in housing etc. The duty is usually the tax on the new parts plus some fee....

Talk to Indian Customs. Everyone is afraid of officials in the modern world, but usually for such simple stuff they don't bite. Actually I find in most cases, if you are polite, make some small talk, and ask educated questions, they are most helpful. If you are evasive in the conversation, that is when you get problems. If you tell the truth, are respectful, things usually go better. They are not "out to get you" in most second and first world countries. They have plenty of idiots who run afoul of them to hassle.

Don't know about the corruption, but I suspect crated industrial packages going to business addresses get left alone. One can't shake down some one who has to keep honest books, its bad for business.

PLs culture seems to despise paperwork and contacting people. I find the opposite, doing the paperwork where possible and practical saves money in the long run.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-26-2014 at 16:04.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...