Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin Laser Media Dock

Default Pangolin Laser Media Dock

Anyone buy one of these yet?! AMAZING work.

Im picking one up as soon as i get paid.

http://www.festakt.de/page42/
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

No, I was seriously interested in the first one (5.5) but it was missing cat5 control, so other than being a nice enclosure, didn't really fix the main issue (IMHO)

I heard they were working on some other versions, and it seems they're now available with the 6.1 (the Ranger series incorporate the USB extenders by the look of it) and they look very nice and well thought out. Although its not clear whether they have built in any provision for estop on the ranger models, or if thats another set of cabling and functionality.

In the end necessity won out and I built my own, which incorporates estop (albeit only 4 FB3's but a smaller footprint as a result)

Horses for courses.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

From talking to Holger I found that he can customize the box to suit your needs. IE. i dont use time code, so he said he could modify that port to accept another FB3 for an additional cost.

Pretty neat.

Now as far as e-stop on the ranger. it wouldn't make sense to mount an estop on the unit since the ranger is designed to be located on stage, away from you.
    I really don't see how you could get around running another e-stop cable, if using a remote solution like that.
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Now as far as e-stop on the ranger. it wouldn't make sense to mount an estop on the unit since the ranger is designed to be located on stage, away from you.
    I really don't see how you could get around running another e-stop cable, if using a remote solution like that.
    No, I didn't mean an estop on the unit, that would be stupid

I meant, offering some sort of solution to how you get estop, now that you're on the end of a bit of cat5.

I suppose its too individual, and so many solutions in place, its best left up to the user to determine how they want to do it.

Mine works on the ILDA interlock pins because thats how my projectors implement the safety, but it could equally breakout to a/some DB9's on the box.

Which one are you looking at then, the 5.5? Do you not want cat5 solution? I think the LMD6.1 Rangers look the best options to me.
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    No, I didn't mean an estop on the unit, that would be stupid

I meant, offering some sort of solution to how you get estop, now that you're on the end of a bit of cat5.

I suppose its too individual, and so many solutions in place, its best left up to the user to determine how they want to do it.

Mine works on the ILDA interlock pins because thats how my projectors implement the safety, but it could equally breakout to a/some DB9's on the box.

Which one are you looking at then, the 5.5? Do you not want cat5 solution? I think the LMD6.1 Rangers look the best options to me.
    HAHA

I do agree it would be nice to have some way to integrate an estop via remote. It would be an interesting solution seeing that you would need some sort of "button" to push control side.
    The cat5 option isnt really 'cat5', its USB via cat5. So any signal sent down that cable would have to come from a software command similar to just mashing the esc key..

Now you COULD run another, say db9 cable, alonside the cat5. i would loom or tape them together) and have it plug into the box with a bin of db9 breakouts on it.
    (BUT i do like the power kill e-stop function better than the db9 remote. no power no output. period. )

I'm considering the 5.5, modified to remove the time code port and accept a 6th FB3.

The majority of venues I perform at don't allow me to place my control station at the back of the room facing the stage.
    Just due to layout constraints. I would have to be located on a balcony or someplace that wouldn't allow me to observe all beam terminations.

Most of the time i just set up on stage or off to the side of the stage where i can see.
    -dnar

Do you really need all that other 'stuff' in the 5.5 though?

It strikes me that your best solution is still the 6.1 Ranger, because it gives you 6 FB3 already, and DMX, and for most jobs you'd just use a short cat5, as you would USB. For the bigger jobs, you use longer cat5.

Yes, I understand how the USB to cat5 works (I have some for sale ), and unfortunately there are no spare pins. I use a second cat5 run to do the estop, which is no problem because i have a cat5 loom with spare runs.

Some might say, why not just use multiple ILDA runs, but the cable is more expensive and lots of venues don't have ILDA runs already installed between FoH and the stage I had 7 runs of ILDA a few weekends ago - not sure I'd have fancied doing 7x50m PLUS the runs to the truss.
    Frikkin Lasers

Do you really need all that other 'stuff' in the 5.5 though?
    Honestly no, id probably never use the soundcard/speaker feature. the midi MAYBE. DMX yes. Electrical E-Stop Yes.

Price is another factor. Im sure the 6.1 is a bit more expensive given those usb extenders are 500usd ++. I just sent Holger an email askin for a USD price for the 6.1

Your argument might sway me... haha
    -dnar

I use a second cat5 run to do the estop, which is no problem because i have a cat5 loom with spare runs.
    What do you have on the end of the cat5? do you break out into db9? id like to see a picture if you had one
    -dnar

Have you not seen the prices? This is why I'm querying why you want to spend so much on features you don't need.

Look here...
    http://www.festakt.de/resources/LMD-...n-End-User.pdf

They might charge you 500USD for the extender, they certainly aren't that much to buy.

In my box the cat5 (2 paired cores) drives an 8 way relay (4x FB3 with a paralleled set of outs on each), with each output connected to ILDA 4/17. You could of course connect that to whatever you wanted.

Here's a quick pic, some stuff is sort of work in progress such as the light guides to the front panel The relay isn't shown (old pic) but is simple enough circuit - 5V power in from the extender PSU, and a 16 way Molex KK header. You can see the 4/17 pairs on the ribbons ready to be tied I think.

You could stick a load of DB9's on the rear panel and run the relay board to them instead. All you're doing is breaking a loop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2149.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	44165

a better pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2148.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	44166
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
    You can get Dual Cat 5 cable.

Only issue is I haven't seen it in tough form yet.

It seems to typically come in 2 forms, 2 single Cat 5's joined side by side, or with other cabling in a single jacket usually made with high tech home integrated media solutions in mind.

http://www.doss.com.au/4prcat5etb-1m...d-black-305mt/

http://www.mayflex.com/products/copp...-cable---lsoh/

http://store.yourdigitalhome.co.uk/bundled/HNC-9.html

Maybe someone should put in a product suggestion / request to Duracat for a dual Cat 5e or Cat 6 in a single tough flexible jacket.