Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proposal SELEM workshop

Default proposal SELEM workshop

OK so I have been to SELEM for 4 years in a row now and one thing I have noticed is we never have that many tools there. every year it seems someone has a project that they don't have the tool to work on.
    after talking this over with Adam I propose a setting up a workshop Outside under one of the overhangs.

If we get volunteers to bring one piece of shop equipment or a tool It would not take much to set up a shop.

I am carpooling but if there's room I will bring a small table top Bench grinder and a Mini-lathe. I can also bring some tubs of assorted screws along with tubs of wires and connectors.

List of equipment and owner.

Mini Lathe
    ------Lazerman121
    Mini Grinder ---- Lazerman121
    Drill press and Vice----- SaltyRobot
    power meter. oscilloscope, signal generator, and bench powersupply.------------mixedgas
    Drills and taps------whitcher88

(I added links to the tools for reference in case someone wants to bring bigger. )
    List of needed tools and equipment

saws
    drill bits
    wrench set
    screwdriver sets any type
    Last edited by Lazerman121; 08-10-2014 at 15:28.
    Lasers
    •405nm violet(blue-ray) laser-eBay I fixed it ya
    •473nm 10mW LSR473NL series blue laser module www.lasever.com review
    •488nm 5mW Novalux Protera DPSS Laboratory Unit
    •532nm 5mW green laser www.elitelasers.com
    •650nm 5mW red

I think this is a good idea. A couple questions though. If this is setup outside what happens if it rains? What happens to the tools at night? Is there proper power outside somewhere or would we need to run extension cords?

With all of that said I am considering bringing a Drill press and some bits to help out with this. I will probably have a bag of hand tools no matter what. The only thing I ask is if you use a hand tool make sure it gets back in the bag when your done with it. It not very much fun playing find the wench cause its not in the bag.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

That's a great idea and I was actually considering bringing my table top drill press w/taps and bits as I may very well have a project that I'd like to leave SELEM with finished. The issue will be what space is left in the van once it's packed with the important stuff but, I hope to dedicate a few hours of the weekend to building a projector that's partially started. It should be at about 7-8 watts by the time we leave SELEM. Maybe 10-2 if I get lucky and come up with a solution for a couple watts of red and rethink the blue. I'd almost prefer to be tinkering than watching shows since that's what I never seem to have time for at home.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    If this is setup outside what happens if it rains?
    Zach's plan is to set this area up underneath one of the overhanging awnings between the loading dock (by the main auditorium) and the cafeteria area (where "Club-SELEM" is set up). So rain won't be a factor. Also, he planned to bring a telescoping tent/awning thing to further enclose the area. (Not so much to keep out the rain, but to offer some extra wind protection and also isolate the area somewhat from the parking lot where SELEM attendees might be walking around.)

What happens to the tools at night?
    They will need to be moved inside the Cafeteria area each night. The Cafeteria will be locked when we are not in there (just like the auditorium).

Is there proper power outside somewhere or would we need to run extension cords?
    We would probably run a pair of 20-amp, number 12 cords out to the area, which should be enough to run just about any portable equipment. There may also be outside outlets we could use, but I'm not 100% sure on this. Nonetheless, I know we will have enough heavy-duty cord to run ample 110V power to this area.

I am considering bringing a Drill press and some bits to help out with this.
    A drill press would be quite useful!

Everyone: Please coordinate with Zach (Laserman121) so we can get a good variety of tools. Also, it might be wise to pack a few sturdy folding tables to set things on.

I will probably have a bag of hand tools no matter what.
    I strongly suggest that everyone bring at least a basic set of tools (with the exception of people who are flying and are thus weight-limited). You never know when you need some odd-ball tool that you don't have in your own bag. But if several people bring hand tools, chances are someone will have the tool you need, which means you have a fighting chance of actually fixing whatever it is you need to work on.

The only thing I ask is if you use a hand tool make sure it gets back in the bag when your done with it. It not very much fun playing find the wench cause its not in the bag.
    This is crucially important, and to this I would add: Please respect other people's tools. Zach in particular has requested that no one operate his mini-lathe unless he is present, mostly because it's rather flimsy (plastic gears) and it's easy to strip them out if you run it too fast. And of course, there's the famous event at the very first SELEM when someone returned my cordless drill by carelessly dropping it into a plastic bin, which snapped off a scanner mirror on a spare set of scanners I had in there... (Luckily Bill Benner was there and managed to glue it back on for me!)

Adam

OK I understand the area we are talking about now.

I will bring a Folding table, a Drill Press and a nice Drill press vice.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Thanks Adam I cant bring a pop up canopy due to the fact that the only one I have is Huge. but if someone would like to bring one that would be greatly appreciated.
    At this point it does not look like I will have a job before September so I'm still trying to pull together the money to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    OK I understand the area we are talking about now.

I will bring a Folding table, a Drill Press and a nice Drill press vice.
    Awesome will add you up top.
    Lasers
    •650nm 5mW red

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If I come the 38 pound air mobile kitchen sink/ toolkit and a laser power meter will come, as well as the oscilloscope, fast photodiode, and DSP signal generator for tuning galvos. Plus the Makita drill, the harbor freight 114 pc drill set, dremel tool and soldering station. But there is a slight chance if I get a gig I have to skip it. These days I also like to bring bench grade power supplies with current limiting.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

This is a great idea.I will be bringing tap handels, drills,taps fluid, and all the tips and tricks I've learned in 35 years of working in skilled trades.I've Tapped thousands of holes ,and broken more than my share of taps. I will be glad to show a "hand tapping demo " of how to not ruin your project.Again a great idea , now who is bringing the cnc mill?

bill
    Pangolin FB3
    DT40 PRO
    200mw 635nm LASERWAVE
    200mw 532nm CNI
    100mw 473nm CNI
    POLY 20 / GAS ARGON (SELEM BLUE)

LASERS MAKE ME GRIN

Quote Originally Posted by whitcher88 View Post
    now who is bringing the cnc mill?

bill
    man all we need now is a cnc and a 3-D printer and we are set to build anything. xD

thanks for contributing to the workshop.

also off topic but if you dont mind me asking can you bring that 100mw 473nm CNI with you I would love to see more than my 30mW of 473nm that I have.
    Lasers
    •650nm 5mW red

Zach;

I'll be bringing 3 RGB projectors that have 473 blue in them (coincidentally, all three are for sale!) so you'll have lots of 473 to look at!

Adam