Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ion lasers selem 2014

Visitors to the ion laser work room are allowed at the sole discretion of whomever has his hands inside the laser(s) being worked on at the time.

*IF* you can be safe (that is, follow simple directions), and *IF* the operator is OK with it, then yes, you may enter. Please ask first, especially if the door is shut and/or you see a blinking light on the door.

Also, please understand that there will be EXPOSED 3 phase wiring, along with running water and potential high-voltage DC power sources in there. These are LETHAL voltages. The optical hazard in that room is just one of the many things to watch out for.

As for goggles, if you have them, bring them. I would suggest a minimum of OD4 for blue and green wavelengths when they are working on argons, but more is obviously better. Personally, I have a mondo-set of argon goggles that are OD11 for green and OD14 for blue, but that's just me. (In some cases you can be in the room without goggles, but again, it's at the discretion of the guy running the laser at the time.) We want to keep everyone safe, after all.

With all that being said, when we are firing some of the lower power gear, I'm sure you'll get a chance to come in and see what's going on and ask questions. In past years the ion laser work room was a popular place for new people to pop in to see what an argon laser really looks like up close. (Sam's Laser FAQ just doesn't do it justice!)

But if Steve decides to fire up a Laserscope, or god-forbid he ends up trying to re-align the IR cavity in one, then understandably access to the room will need to be severely restricted. IR laser light is exceptionally dangerous because your eye has no response to IR, so you won't blink or have any sort of aversion response. It will just hit your eye and cook it like an egg, only really fast. Also, at the power levels that a laserscope is capable of producing, the beam itself is also extremely hazardous to your skin. (Severely burns you before you can move out of the way.)

Adam

Yes, I have no interest in being near an operating laserscope being worked on! :-)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Yes, I have no interest in being near an operating laserscope being worked on! :-)

Tribble,
    I don't bite, I do bark. Especially when folks stop paying attention. I don't like funerals, and really don't like visiting young folks in nursing homes. Ask me about the laser tech who got distracted some time, but lived. (Dc arc to head from charged cap bank). You work long enough in industry, you sadly end up loosing a colleague* once in a while. That said, Your welcome to come and learn, just think before you move. Sing out if you don't know what is going on.

And we'll calibrate the PD you asked about.

* I was speaking today to a civilian helicopter pilot, who has lost 8 friends and saw 4 more medically retired.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Looking forward to it! I've worked on enough keep-one-hand-in-your-pocket systems to not go poking around where I'm not trained, but I would like to see what can safely be seen.

I tried to buy some safely goggles last year but the vendors would not return my email. I'll see what I can do with the time remaining.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I have the full service manual for most of them. ...Not always easy to diagnose as a Lexel as the control card is very different....
    Steve / Jeff - U need any cards or part from those 920-sleds? I've got 2x of those PSU-underbellies.. one in Roch, and one out here.. I can bring / send specific-cards, LV-PSUs / bridges / contactors, and or Passbank parts, if-needed.. 'bout the only think I'd be unwilling to 'send' would be the x-former..

lemme know..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

^ You used the word "bring" in a sentance Jon. I caught it. Does that mean.... you've carved out a little time to get to the greatest laser gathering on the planet once again???

I have one of the Xformers Jon, but I have not yet acquired a large enough boat to anchor with it.
    Probably would not hurt to have a few cards there.

Steve

I will be bringing a Coherent I90 with a smashed control panel and a missing HR assembly. I will be bringing a few feet of beefy four conductor and a Square D disconnect. My FieldmaxII TO with PM10 thermopile will be available for tweaking power output.

I should give the epoxy another go to see if i can stop the last little leak in the flow wheel.

Steve, I already discussed this partially in PM (did you get my message about a good time to call?)

Thanks,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    ^ You used the word "bring" in a sentence ...Does that mean.... you've carved out a little time..
    ..Well, it means I'm 'conniving for it' (in the non-evil context of connivement.. , but.. still some 'TBD's on this end.. Might be the only way you and I can finally get time to finish our oft-interrupted chats / figure out 'what's best' for yer PJ-project, seeing as how I've so-horribly..

+_+ ..But, as-assured, I won't rest until we 'find the best-path' for ya, "now" (..considering 'Mt Lasermore, et al..) and, yer happy / satisfied in the end.. err, 'beginning'..

..Either that, or S'LEM can finally be yer chance to have me tarred & feathered / hung from a mezzanine / set on fire with a Laserscope.. jk, you've been *far, far*-beyond patient / understanding, and an all-around cool-cat, with my 'family crisisees' / megaflop on yer project.. But, rest-assured, I'll get ya fixed-up, Cap'n..

Cya (maybe, but probably..) soon..
    --

Hey P'Fesser -

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    ...Probably would not hurt to have a few cards there.
    ..Well, can we narrow-down which ones? If I end-up going, I'll be fairly stuff-laden, so.. I can-bring, but specificity would be greatly appreciateder..
    Danke..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I'll bring the last two front panels on the planet with known good Panaplex displays.
    I'll see about a mount, it seems to be buried in the piling system.

Steve