Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulsed Lasers AT Selem 2014

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Pulsed Lasers AT Selem 2014

If you are bringing YAG/RUBY/OPA/OPO etc to Selem for help/diagnostics, please post here, so I may bring/send pulsed laser diagnostics and needed. State wavelength and model. Bring goggles if you have them.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I have a converted laserscope (one of Bob Ash's old units - not sure which model though) that I've been thinking about bringing if I have the space in the trailer. I've never fired it though (the thing still scares me), so I'm unsure as to it's overall condition.

If I do end up bringing it, I'll pick up a fresh set of DI cartridges before I leave. I do have goggles for both IR and green.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I have a converted laserscope (one of Bob Ash's old units - not sure which model though) that I've been thinking about bringing if I have the space in the trailer. I've never fired it though (the thing still scares me), so I'm unsure as to it's overall condition.

If I do end up bringing it, I'll pick up a fresh set of DI cartridges before I leave. I do have goggles for both IR and green.

Adam
    Laserscopes need 2 ~ 10 watt power meters to tune, I will have one with me. The monster power meter is in Arizona for business development purposes, so at best I can bring a calibrated wedge to split the beam and measure full power that way.

Does your conversion let you turn the Q-switch on/off independently of the lamp?

Steve

Steve;

I have a thermal meter that is good for 18 watts, if that will work.

Regarding the details of the conversion, I honestly don't know. I haven't really looked that hard at the unit. It is a full conversion though (everything separated into 3 discrete sections, with the PSU in a flight case), so chances are good I'll have separate control of the Q-switch.

Adam

Steve if you want when we meet up i can lend you my coherent PM30 if you need it

Hey - I'm interested in the laserscope conversion and alignment stuff. I have one that I have yet to touch.

Yikes! Have fun but for godsake be careful guys. Designate one of the old-timers at SELEM as LSO and have good beam stops.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i nominate steve for LSO (not for beam stop).

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Yikes! Have fun but for godsake be careful guys. Designate one of the old-timers at SELEM as LSO and have good beam stops.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

HEY again steve

I may also bring a scope it also was a new method laser convert have seen it run once. in a demo I have not touched it in two years.
    Designate one of the old-timers at SELEM as LSO

Steve has been LSO from SALEM 1

Steve will be acting, limited liability, honorary LSO in laser work areas where he is working, the auditorium is NOT mine, administratively. We have plenty of ILDA certified LSOs on site.

After being ex-officio LSO while touring doing national lab installs, Steve is very weary of working with just anyone if there is 1064 present. I now act more like a Marine drill sergeant when working on pulsed systems. Complete with pre-brief, mission goals, and a zero tolerance policy for screwball actions. It amazes me who will reach in with a silver wrench or Allen key without thinking. Even guys with 20 years of experience building pulsed systems. I'm human too, but I saw some real "dumb" actions.

No starting the laser by holding two bare wires together, either. Wiring has to be good.

If you bring one, please test the plumbing before visiting, with the lamp off. I don't have any Swagelock fittings for the micro hoses. They can loosen up when setting.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QCW20 lamps covers 90% of AM$ products. The following are age unknown. Please, some one have at least one sealed, new, boxed spare there. Handle only while wearing safety glasses, they are filled at a few atmospheres. They don't age much while setting unused. I have no idea on the quality of these, but the price is right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-ARC-Fl...item35d6713770

At 150$ to 300$ for a single lamp, we need a spare at SELEM. The classic rebuild kit for a AM$ head, is 300$ from a supplier in Florida. I just had a quote done for a new rod, greater then 900$ with shipping. Therefore it is wise to have a good lamp, especially on lasers with unknown hours.

One should have both of the water filters, preferably new ones, as well. New lamp clips are advisable. I hope both of your cavities have good plating if Gold coated. Kind of a waste to haul one there if not in good shape. Be weary of closing the cavity, with regards to flow plate/flow tubes.

There will not be videos... Nor shots down the hallway. I'll probably post a manned watch outside the door when working, in lieu of having door interlocks. I now like safety curtains and door interlocks. When I worked with CW I often found them a nuisance.

New rule: If you see a blinking LED bike light, clipped to a warning sign, that means pay attention. Understand there is CLASS IV light on the other side of the door. I find the bike tail light useful when working in less then ideal conditions. Many LSOs now consider them a valid warning beacon.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-01-2014 at 18:25.