Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pulsed Lasers AT Selem 2014

"Do you know how to start a man's heart with a downed power line? Well, there really is no wrong way." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Yikes! Have fun but for godsake be careful guys. Designate one of the old-timers at SELEM as LSO and have good beam stops.
    No worries. We've had lots of high-power gear in there before, and all the workspace areas have cinderblock walls. Plus, as several people have already mentioned, we will have at least a dozen ILDA-certified LSO's on site.

That being said, 'scopes are more dangerous than your average run-of-the-mill argon laser, so yes - extra precautions will need to be taken. (See below)

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Steve will be acting, limited liability, honorary LSO in laser work areas where he is working, the auditorium is NOT mine, administratively.
    No problem with the Auditorium, Steve. We will have DZ and Jeff in there for the setup to make sure everything is legal, and DZ will be the man in charge while anything is running in there. So the Auditorium is covered.

As you pointed out - the major hazard will be in the work room. I have no problem with you ushering out extraneous people from that area in the interest of safety.

I don't have any Swagelock fittings for the micro hoses.
    In a pinch, we may be able to find these locally. There are a few plumbing supply places in Newton.

QCW20 lamps covers 90% of AM$ products. The following are age unknown. Please, some one have at least one sealed, new, boxed spare there.
    Just ordered one from that E-bay auction you linked to. Should be here on the 5th. I'll bring it with me.

One should have both of the water filters, preferably new ones, as well.
    Got a good source for the D/I cartridges? Graingers?

If you see a blinking LED bike light, clipped to a warning sign, that means pay attention. Understand there is CLASS IV light on the other side of the door.
    Works for me! Please bring it with you.

Adam

This medal is still available - the record at a lem is 42 watts (on a laser wizard) for a single laser. It is still hanging on the wall in my garage if anyone can beat it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I'm Special & A Winner Too!-1.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	44224
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Correction 42.7 watts

Name:	000_1425.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	44225

Name:	000_1436.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	44226
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Was that a perfectly good didgeridoo Pat?

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote:
    In a pinch, we may be able to find these locally. There are a few plumbing supply places in Newton.
    End Quote.

No, we won't. Swagelok typically has one distributer per state, usually in the capital city, and usually open from 9:30 Am to 4:30 PM five days a week.. Take a look under the laser deck and fire up the plumbing before you bring it. Those fittings are rare as a hen's teeth. The Swagelok manufacturing plant is forty minutes from my house, and they have counter sales for a few hours each day. If not, its web/mail order, or over the counter sales, and they are not into rapid shipping.

http://www.swagelok.com/NCTN.aspx

The hoses in question provide cooling to the Q-Switch, KTP Assembly, and Beam Dumps, and they are 1/3 the size of model airplane fuel tubing. Without a lathe, torch, and some good tooling, no way I could improvise a replacement. They break/leak at the juncture of the cap and ferrule. They break/leak in storage, not in operation.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-02-2014 at 05:33.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Was that a perfectly good didgeridoo Pat?
    thats right mate!
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:49.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

this would be an appropriate time for your tin foil goggles picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Wizardry View Post
    I nominate Swami for beamstop. (j/k)
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    ...The hoses in question provide cooling to the Q-Switch, KTP Assembly, and Beam Dumps, and they are 1/3 the size of model airplane fuel tubing. Without a lathe, torch, and some good tooling, no way I could improvise a replacement. They break/leak at the juncture of the cap and ferrule. They break/leak in storage, not in operation.

Steve
    Another source of leaks on those old 'scopes is a cracked cavity lid around the lamp terminals. It can go unnoticed under the white plastic terminal cover so have a look there when you leak test. I have also seen leaks around the rod o-rings that you might not notice right away until the power drops. By then the water seeping onto the rod face will burn the coating on the rod $$. Go ahead and do a leak test under pressure without igniting the lamp and check these locations. Look through the rod with a flashlight to confirm a clear optical path.