Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying my Cessna to SELEM

Default Flying my Cessna to SELEM

Like last year I plan to fly my Cessna to SELEM assuming the weather lets me.
    I have a request and an offer.

The request first. I will need a ride from the local airport to the venue and back at the end of the event. I plan to arrive on the 13th around noon if anyone is available to pick me up at the Hickory Regional Airport. It is about 15 miles from the venue.
    Here is the address Regional Airport 3101 9th Avenue Drive NW. I can pay for gas or if you would like take you for a ride in the plane.

That brings me to the offer. Anyone who would like to go for a ride during SELEM please let me know. I would be more than happy to take you up. I only ask that you cover my fuel costs. The length of the ride will determine the cost, but I would expect $20 to cover it.
    there are a few restrictions unfortunately. I own a Cessna 150. It is very small and only 2 seats. There are weight restrictions and size restrictions. To get in you almost need to be a contortionist. If you are interested let me know here or at SELEM.

I flew into SELEM last year but the weather didn't allow me to give any rides. So all of this is assuming I am able to fly it there and good enough weather to give rides.

BTW I gave Brad & Adam rides at FELEM this year and they can vouch for me if you have any concerns. I think I almost caused Adam to get a divorce since now he wants a plane. Lol Just kidding Adam.

Chris

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Probably yes to everything Chris. The only tricky part is getting you at noon on the 13th. Since I have a lot of the set up gear and we meet at the venue at noon to start, breaking away from there at that time could be difficult, plus if the van is as loaded to the gills as I expect, room for you and your gear might be a premium. Getting you back shouldn't necessarily present an issue. And of course I'll go up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    And of course I'll go up again.
    Are you sure you still meet the size and weight restrictions, Brad?
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Are you sure you still meet the size and weight restrictions, Brad?
    I may have added a couple of ounces since FLEM or... since I tend to lose weight in the summer, might be a couple ounces less. I'll never have an issue with my head touching the canopy though.

I may have added a couple of ounces since FLEM or... since I tend to lose weight in the summer, might be a couple ounces less. I'll never have an issue with my head touching the canopy though.
    I can certainly relate to the 'luxury' of ample head room. ;0

As an even more height-challenged child, my family spent a lot of time flying single engine planes. (My father was a professor of aeronautical science so renting planes was cheap and easy.) Seat-belted in the back seat of a Cessna for hours without being able to see out the windows was not a great deal of fun. It was a bit like riding a child-friendly roller-coaster while wearing a blindfold.

Thankfully, I can (barely) see out the windows now!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Since no one has commented on the actual experience of flying with Chris, let me share my experience.

Chris is a real professional. He actually has a "guest" checklist that he explains to you before you fly. (This is in addition to the normal pilot's checklist that all pilots follow as part of normal flight ops.) There is a laminated copy in the plane at all times. It covers lots of "what-if" scenarios, such as "What should the passenger do if the pilot becomes incapacitated?" Most people never consider things like that, but Chris is a guy who thinks ahead. I know I felt a lot better after I realized all the thought that had to go into creating a document like that just for guest fliers.

Chris is also very patient. He will explain everything to you if you are interested, right down to the nuts and bolts of the plane if you want. But for those of you who just want to go flying, that's cool too. You don't need to know about fuel mixture settings or traffic patterns to enjoy the ride.

Speaking of the ride, it's AMAZING. Yes, it's a small plane, and yes, it's a bit of a challenge to get into the cockpit, but once you're settled in, it's a TON of fun! Time passes in an instant... And like I said, Chris is right there to answer questions and point out cool things. I can't believe how much fun it was. (And this is coming from someone who has flown in 3 or 4 other private planes in the past. I guess I just never flew with the right pilot before!)

I strongly urge anyone who has an interest in flying to take Chris up on his offer. It's a flight you will remember for a long time, I promise!

Adam

PS: Chris is right - I *seriously* considered getting into flying after my trip with him. But in reality, it's just too expensive and I can't afford it right now. If I had the money though, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's really fun...

PSS: Chris, we should have several people present for the load-in. I'm sure we'll be able to break someone away to pick you up. Worst case, if no one posts here, give me a call on my cell phone when you land and I will nominate someone on-site to come get you.

Thanks for the kind words Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Since no one has commented on the actual experience of flying with Chris, let me share my experience.

Chris is a real professional. He actually has a "guest" checklist that he explains to you before you fly. (This is in addition to the normal pilot's checklist that all pilots follow as part of normal flight ops.) There is a laminated copy in the plane at all times. It covers lots of "what-if" scenarios, such as "What should the passenger do if the pilot becomes incapacitated?" Most people never consider things like that, but Chris is a guy who thinks ahead. I know I felt a lot better after I realized all the thought that had to go into creating a document like that just for guest fliers.

Chris is also very patient. He will explain everything to you if you are interested, right down to the nuts and bolts of the plane if you want. But for those of you who just want to go flying, that's cool too. You don't need to know about fuel mixture settings or traffic patterns to enjoy the ride.

Speaking of the ride, it's AMAZING. Yes, it's a small plane, and yes, it's a bit of a challenge to get into the cockpit, but once you're settled in, it's a TON of fun! Time passes in an instant... And like I said, Chris is right there to answer questions and point out cool things. I can't believe how much fun it was. (And this is coming from someone who has flown in 3 or 4 other private planes in the past. I guess I just never flew with the right pilot before!)

I strongly urge anyone who has an interest in flying to take Chris up on his offer. It's a flight you will remember for a long time, I promise!

Adam

PS: Chris is right - I *seriously* considered getting into flying after my trip with him. But in reality, it's just too expensive and I can't afford it right now. If I had the money though, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's really fun...

PSS: Chris, we should have several people present for the load-in. I'm sure we'll be able to break someone away to pick you up. Worst case, if no one posts here, give me a call on my cell phone when you land and I will nominate someone on-site to come get you.

Thanks Brad. It sounds like one way or another I'll get there. If I have to rent a car or take a taxi I will.

Chris

Probably yes to everything Chris. The only tricky part is getting you at noon on the 13th. Since I have a lot of the set up gear and we meet at the venue at noon to start, breaking away from there at that time could be difficult, plus if the van is as loaded to the gills as I expect, room for you and your gear might be a premium. Getting you back shouldn't necessarily present an issue. And of course I'll go up again.

Once I get there, I'll also be happy to help you get around if you need a ride.

We still need to find this place:
    http://www.godfathers.com/

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

man, i used to eat at godfather's pizza when i lived in fort collins.. 25 years ago.

that's a trip down memory lane.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Once I get there, I'll also be happy to help you get around if you need a ride.

We still need to find this place:
    http://www.godfathers.com/
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.