Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for someone who can create a basic light show for us

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

According to my program, MartianDemoB is version 0 but with a palette included. Please let me know if you are absolutely sure it is version 1 because then I have a bug.

A "2D type 0" would be a type 1.

Header type:
    Type 0: 3D, palette index
    Type 1: 2D, palette index
    Type 2: Palette header
    Type 3: 3D, RGB lookup table (never officially used)
    Type 4: 3D, RGB values
    Type 5: 2D, RGB values

A type 0 or 1 file can include a palette, normally in the beginning of the ilda file (the palette would be signed "type 2" to distinguish it from the laser art). This is what you did with MartianDemoB, but it is a type 0 file.

The type of an ilda file corresponds to a byte in the header. This tells the program what kind of data follows the header. This is always per frame: each ilda frame has a header. Theoretically, one ilda file could have several different kinds of headers (as in a type 0 followed by a type 4 or something) but that would be a badly behaving file, as most programs would likely crash on it (not mine).
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 08-10-2014 at 11:10.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=colouredmirrorball;297750]According to my program, MartianDemoB is version 0 but with a palette included. Please let me know if you are absolutely sure it is version 1 because then I have a bug.

A "2D type 0" would be a type 1. END QUOTE
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Martin, You are correct.

My bad, I'm getting too old to remember all this....

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Here's an ilda view program which has more options than zIlda: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Ilda-view-tool
    It can, among other things, save ilda files in the format you want, with or without palettes. You could load in an all blue palette (just create an image that is 64 pixels wide and 1 pixel high with all blue pixels, then load it in). All palette ilda files (version 0 and 1) will use this palette so all colours will be blue. Then you can export as version 4, load it back in and export as version 0, with the 64Ilda palette loaded and with the palette included and the option to automatically select the best fitting colour for RGB frames. Then load it back in and export again as version 0 but without the palette. This procedure will be made much easier in an update, which might be next month.

Edit: the version in the opening post has a bug that will likely corrupt files upon export. Use the version in this post and ignore the many unfinished things.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...325#post291325

Here's the reason updates take so long... I have too many ideas!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rhh0ehfre...2021.33.19.png
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 08-10-2014 at 11:36.

Why not scrap the laser and go with a a gobo. Spot lights are cheap. Add the scrolling text on an led text scroller. Same basic idea. Same result I would think with no legal hassle and your up tomorrow.

Why not scrap the laser and go with a a gobo. Spot lights are cheap. Add the scrolling text on an led text scroller. Same basic idea. Same result I would think with no legal hassle and your up tomorrow.

Www.goboman.com

It's going to be hard to get a very optimized projection with no indication of the scanners tuning.
    Possibly could you run the ilda test pattern on that projector at a very small angle and take a picture or something?
    If you can adjust speed with a knob or something that would be nice as well.

The primairy focus should be on the circkle inside the square and if that looks decent to close as good then I or mixedgas (mixedgas was first and first come first serve) could mean something for you.

hi guys,
    Thanks for the thoughts and ideas, is the palette component required ?

ie if the file has no palette does it default to displaying in blue or no colour at all (or perhaps whatever the projectors default colour is)

I will try a couple of the files later this arvo and update you with results

re the gobo idea, looks kinda interesting however I think we are in a bit to deep now. I cannot see an easy way to have a gobo scroll through a show without a projector of some description which will probably cost more than the laser

the file has a color pallete but since you have no color it might be best to have in blue. Not sure what stuff your projector displays if you load something else in

Anyhow you need this:
    http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las...s/ildatest.ild
    The ilda test pattern looks like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55_G.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	44331
    pay close attention to the smaller square with the circkle inside of it.
    This will likely be different for you. The square might deform strangely or be outside or shrunk inside the square.

You want the circkle to touch the square as best as possible (while still being a circkle).. this is projection size and scanner speed dependant so please adjust if you have the possibility to!
    Incase you are not sure you can always project it and take a picture.

The pattern will be flickery but thats no problem.. its about how it projects it not about the framerate.
    Incase you have trouble taking a picture: high exposure.. put an ND filter *if you have one* in front of the laser apperture.
    Last edited by masterpj; 08-10-2014 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by egghead27 View Post
    hi guys,
    Thanks for the thoughts and ideas, is the palette component required ?

ie if the file has no palette does it default to displaying in blue or no colour at all (or perhaps whatever the projectors default colour is)
    I believe a file with a palette included would crash your projector (as happened with MartianDemoB). So... how does the projector know which colour corresponds to which palette index? The Ilda standard doesn't specify an official default palette, but the unofficial one is the 64 colour Ilda palette:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schermafdruk 2014-08-11 09.21.19.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	44332

The highlighted colour is "full blue", which is colour nr 40 (if you take the first colour as 0). The question is though, which colours are being displayed by the projector? Only those with palette index 40, or all those with blue in them (indices 25 to 62)?
    I made an Ilda file which has 64 frames, with a number. The number tells you the colour index of the frame. So, all you gotta do is put the file on the SD, play it and report back which colours (= the displayed number) get displayed.

Edit: added optimised file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 08-10-2014 at 23:57.

Hi guys,

first set of results are below:

swirlblue - plays OK
    whitesqr - no output
    ildatest - output - need to play against bigger area cross in middle seems to only be top and left hand bars and circle appears deformed
    7bluecircles plays OK - need to test outside as the centre circle is distorted at the bottom
    bluesquare - not very square - test outside
    cmyrgb - output illegible
    0_to_64_v0 - messy blur - projectors motors working overtime
    0_to_64_optimised - numbers upside down but legible, it shows a little to fast to read all the single digit numbers however I can read it counting 1x to 5x. I dont see any 6 however this may be more speed related than anything else

There are a few that I think I need to test against a bigger surface area to reduce distortion as I am currently testing against an internal wall with overflow onto floor and roof that I think is introducing some distortion. Will test again later tonight

I will also get some pictures/video and post the results as my descriptions probably aren't overly helpful