Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phenix Technology is trying to tell me DTs are not as good as PT.

Well that is true but the newbie doesn,t compare it like you would do. They compare price/K as they also do with mw/euro when it concerns projectors. Price will dominate the lower end regardless of quallity and the differences. I agree that you should compare apples and apples but in case of modules its either a Kvant or a china build. So competing is against the Kvant for 98% regardless of the performance or quallity.

In the every lowend market up till 2 watt you will have PT and other 25kpss scanners and in the higher power where a system is a little higher in price and power i predict that it will be completely taken over by scannermax instead of the DT,s we have now.

Eightonlight will stay with their own scanners for most of them and maybe offer the scannermax for an extra fee. Installing the 506 as standard will not happen since they have their own and will be cheaper because they are in china where manufacturing and material cost are low.

If Eightonlight scanners like PT-A40 will go to half the price of a scannermax with a slighly lower performance we all know what will be the new standard.......

I think its time to compare 506 with PT-A40

Pt has offered Techjunkie a PT-A40 and not a standard PT. To set the record straight the standard PT-40 is half the price of an DT but the PT-A40 is not. So the if they perform like the datasheets shows its the price/performance ratio might be better.

"might be" since the mirror coating can be not that great or maybe bad soldering, difference in connectors etc is also something that should be included. In my book all things matter. It depends on how good they did their homework
    Last edited by edison; 08-06-2014 at 06:47.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

In another thread, Bill Benner commented (surprisingly to me) that he wasn't familar with the scanners from PT. Since we will have PT 40's, PT-A40s, DT40 pros, DT 40 wides, 506's, 6215's, Eyemagics, hell... even GM120's, all at SELEM, and Bill will be there as well... I am extremely confident there will be point where yet another scanner test is set up and in about a week and a half, we'll have a lot of relevant information to add to this thread.

But for now, I think for $250 for a complete set, the PT-40 scanners offer the best bang for the buck.
    I agree. The PT-A40 are in between when it comes to price and according to the datasheet they have a better overal performance to the DT,s when it comes to speed. As brad said only a real side by side test will show how good they are......

My DT 40s scan wider than my PT40 and my PT30 that I have. I need to measure the scan angle. And it could just be how they are tuned. When comparing my scanners side by side, I prefer my DT40s. I think they look a little bit better.

Thanks for the info. The question is not weither the PT40 have a better price/performance ratio compared to the DT,s since we know that the price of a PT40 is half of the DT40,s and are almost equal. The quest is if the PT-A40 has a better price/performance towards the DT40,s.

Yea.. price to performance ratio is better. That is for sure. And I am def interested in the PT-a40. I would love to compare all the scanners at salem. I wont be there till Friday. So hopefully I don't miss the comparison.

Thanks for all the info fellas. I think I'm going with the PT30s. They are under $200 with shipping.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

I have found that the DTs do way better with scanning "analog" abstracts than the PTs. The abstracts are cleaner looking and the glavos don't sound like they are screaming. Since I mainly project abstracts, my DTs outperform my PTs. I do agree though, the difference in performance between the two does not justify the cost difference.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I'm far from frugal. But at this point I need the best bang for the buck.

To be completely honest I dont think any level of projector is going to give me the visuals I want. Swami does amazing work, but if thats close to the limits of a projector its miles away from what I was expecting. I've watched a plethora of shows on Youtube, and none come close ro what I'm looking for. I do like the beam show though. The PT30s should be a good option for that. I think I'm going the route of a video projector to achieve the effects I want.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

I agree with Buffo. These scanners, all of them are relatively inexpensive. There is no good reason why these cannot be compared side by side. If there will be several examples of each kind at SELEM then this can be done with enough cross comparisons that the relative performance can be settled AT THIS POINT IN TIME. This seems to me one of the highest priorities for such a meeting. I disagree with edison, but only because he is making predictions before this useful comparison. It may turn out he is right.

In the meantime, what about the Saturn system? We haven't seen any progress with this model in a long time. Meanwhile,what about EMS? They are making some improvements in their existing system while we are waiting for the Saturns. I assume that the above comparison with the 506's is being limited to models that are priced at a similar level (hence, no CT's in the mix) and with currently available models as well.