Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Phenix Technology is trying to tell me DTs are not as good as PT.

I'm curious to know if any comparisons of the PT-40k, the PT-A40 and the DT's have been done at SELEM and interested what the results are...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Although your question and post count lead me to think this may be a spam or troll attempt, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and an answer.

The PT-A40's were introduced shortly before SELEM happened. I had them installed in 2 new projectors that were there but, we never even got the flight cases unwrapped. As far as DT-40's versus PT-40's, no, we didn't do an official "test" although it was discussed. While there are certainly scientific things that can be measured, there are some subjective unscientific things that can't like longevity.

I own several of both and my totally unscientific evaluation is this.... DT-40 wides are my favorite scanner. Don't know why, maybe just a nostalgia thing about being my first big real "big boy" scanner purchase. Nothing scientific to back that up and really no merit for it whatsoever.

The negatives...I've had them go haywire during shows on a couple of occasions - maybe from heat but, shutting down and turning back on has solved it. They require a riser block (sold separately) to bring them up to he height of most scanners. They can be sometime hard to find and prices do seem to vary widely when you do find them. The positives are... they scan really, really wide. There was this perceived "mystique" about them when I first got into lasers and I couldn't wait to own them.

PT's on the other hand (and PT-A40's) are readily available, less expensive, are a workable height, and have never given me any problems. The output of A-40's might be just as wide as the DT's - I haven't honestly compared side to side. The first time I saw the output of some abstracts from PT's versus DT's I would swear I was seeing them for the first time as they seemed "much" sharper.

Yet, for some reason, I remain guardedly "nervous" that the PT's are somehow going to fail because... how can something cheaper really be "better"? I just always have this tiny uneasy feeling with absolutely no reason to back that up. Maybe it's because of the comments from those that will ALWAYS bash a Chinese scanner over a Greek scanner or Cambridge. And I get that... really I do but, when I'm sitting and watching a show, personally I can't watch a beam flying overhead and say, yeah... that $2000 Cambridge is SO much better than the $200 PT's. Yeah, yeah, yeah... longevity, repeatability of hitting beam targets like mirror balls - I understand all that but... this question was about DT vs. PT's.

DT40 pros were the "go to" for a lot of people here because for most, it was hard to justify the price difference between them and the high end alternatives. It's that whole "live on test pattern results and pay 300% more for a 2% performance boost" thing. Kinda like high end video gaming card wars. I don't see a mass switch from those people from DT40 pros to PT-40's because..... why would they? And I don't see a lot of people building new systems choosing PT 40's over DT40's, 506's or whatever because... you don't hear a lot about people building systems anymore. And those that do are opting for another new upstart brand we're not supposed to name here.

So there you have it.... an unscientific answer but, comparisons nonetheless.

151515515155151 I need more coffee.

All I did was try to fix a punctuation mistake and it reposted the post twice.

Brad, are you using the back button on your browser to go back and edit the post? If so, thats why you are getting double and triple posts, as you're effectively re-submitting the form again.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Bradfo69, thanks for the extensive reply! My post was serious and I could have introduced myself better.
    I own 2 Pluto's with PT-40K's and two 2 Venus II's with PT-A40's. What I've experienced myself is that the PT-A40's indeed make a larger angle then the PT-40K's but are not faster (the last point is obvious since they don't claim a faster speed either).
    One important difference that I've noticed is that the PT-A40 becomes less warm then the PT-40K's. I think this is an important improvement.
    Lightspace has told me that the PT-A40 is more accurate then the PT-40K and are therefore used a lot in laser cutters.
    The PT-A40's are ~1,5 x more expensive then the PT-40K's. So I guess a similar price to the DT's
    I work a lot with (complex) abstract beam signals and am interested in scanners with a slightly higher speed. This makes me interested in experiences of others with the PT-A40's, PT-40K's and the DT scanners. I've never worked with DT's myself so your post is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Brad, are you using the back button on your browser to go back and edit the post? If so, thats why you are getting double and triple posts, as you're effectively re-submitting the form again.
    I think it was just a fluke. I edit stuff all the time since I'm not a typist and immediately catch things after I post that I missed in the preview that I want to correct but, this morning I much have clicked something wrong, as it posted each fix.

Hi Edwin,

Welcome to PL. Sorry... it occurred to me after I had typed most of my reply that, it "could" have been a sort of spam or troll attempt and I'd have looked like a fool for falling for it. Glad you're a real person! And, a hopefully happy Lightspace owner. I have a whole pile of Pluto's and Pluto XS. The newer ones are all the PT-A40's as a wide scan angle is important to me since I deal with needing to have shorter throws in my venue. Like I said, so far no issues and I'm happy with them. I didn't realize they run cooler since I rarely pop the cover to check.

Thanks!

I work a lot with (complex) abstract beam signals and am interested in scanners with a slightly higher speed.
    I know its off topic, and I know people get upset when they find their way into lots of threads, but I've got 2 sets of 506's on DT amps tuned to 50k by Bill at Pangolin and projecting abstracts large at 50k are just silky smooth. This is using the 'darth' mirros as Bill calls them. IF you need to swing a fat beam around then you may not be able to do quite so well on the speeds.

Depending on how quickly you're looking to purchase i would look into seeing if you get on Mixedgas' list for some amps and whether Pangolin can supply the 506's to you.

Edwin, where are you in the world? Maybe fill out your profile so we can see. Someone may be near you to demo some, so you can see for yourself.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I'm based in NL and curious to test a set of 506's. Feel free to PM or email me.