Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSA / Attn: 'Goldenstar' PLEASE.. NO! STOP!!

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ..from same 'ChOEM', mentioned in this thread? Cuz that would be ...I would expect-not, but.. If not.. got any linx ta 'whodunit'? Reportin' time's here...

Thx..
    j
    I will look around fleabay. The problem is, there seem to be "clearing houses" for chinese products that do not always reveal the actual manufacturer or supplier. Just look at the proliferation of high powered laser pointers. US suppliers would (or should) be banned from making this stuff so easily available. Come on, a 2 to 5 watt pointer? That's not a laser pointer, it is a weapon!
    The "clearing house" issue. I have purchased several RGB lasers on Ebay. One was defective, and I pitched a bitch. No satisfaction, just bullshit rhetoric. Vendors's name is Newgazer. Bought another, higher powered one from what appeared to be a different vendor, and when I made the payment, Pay Pal had sent the Payment to Newgazer. Still have unresolved issues with both purchases, but I think you get the point. You just don't know who you're dealing with over there.
    We just had another laser pointer/aircraft incident in Salt Lake. If these idiots keep this shit up, nobody will be able to buy a laser that exceeds 3a, and maybe not those as well. It has gotten out of control.
    A couple of vendors over there are trying to be compliant. DealExtreme dot com took a 150 mW red pointer off of their US accessed site due to FDA action.
    I'll get back on this-
    J

By the way, I still have an old KTP Pockell's cell in my junk box-

Quote Originally Posted by glorocks View Post
    I will look around fleabay. The problem is, ...
    Indeed.. Well.. we can at least start / try... Once FDA is 'aware' of this-particular horrible-product, they may be able to 'email eBay a clue'.. If eBay decides '..ya, these are just plain wrong', they may put them on their 'banned-items' lists, like guns, etc.. But, ya, I hear the 'it's like an ant yelling at a freight train to STOP'-thang.. Still, we can try..

Thx..
    j

RE: KTP-pocky, cool! I'd bet mixedgas and / or planters might be keen on that puppy.. fwiw..
    cheers..
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

J-
    Go to Ebay and search "laser glove". Then be afraid- very afraid. If you dig into some the these vendors' stores, you'll find your hat and worse. Most of this crap exceeds class IIIa. Some of it could be IV.
    Methinks the dam has already been breached.
    I doubt of anyone would want the KTP cell- KTP is hygroscopic and I doubt if you could even see light through mine much less pass a beam. I kept it because it is in a very nice Mil Spec mount made by Perkin-Elmer back in the '70's. Must have cost the taxpayers a fortune to build.
    Enjoy

Additional thought- better be real specific if you attempt to get fleabay to block those imports- the Fed just may over react and ban ALL laser imports that exceed class IIIa. Then a lot of us would be back to paying $20K or more for show lasers. Just sayin'-

..search "laser glove". Then be afraid- very afraid. ..you'll find your hat and worse. Most of this crap exceeds class IIIa. Some of it could be IV.
    ..And, sure it is.. +_+

..I doubt of anyone would want the KTP cell...a very nice Mil Spec mount made by Perkin-Elmer back in the '70's.
    ..*ahem* http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...p/2091-Eidetic << ..this guy just might.. Pretty sure he's the Laserhound of all Laserhounds..

Additional thought- better be real specific if you attempt to get fleabay to block those imports- the Fed just may over react and ban ALL laser imports..
    Nah, that'd be the 'whole point'.. Fleabay ain't 'the Fed', so far better to get them (eBy) to be 'self-regulating', vs trying to 'take it to the Man'... But, even if these do make their way to FDA's attention, No, they won't 'blanket ban' all laser-products / PJs, etc, just on the basis of these hatz, etc.. People / Co's with Variances will always be fine.. but... If one of these 'darwin-award products' ended-up being the 'catalyst' to some transportation-disaster - and the FAA brings out it's teeth - then, it could possibly be 'curtains' for all-things pointery, and - might - make it harder / more obtuse to get components so easy.. That.. would not be cool..

...We'll see.. Again, we're ants yelling at a freight train..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

You're right about the FAA. When I worked at the old Hilton in Vegas FAA had banned all outdoor laser displays that did not terminate on property. I attempted to get a variance for a display that would terminate on the Monorail track in front of the building. The first argument against it was that an emergency helicopter would be at risk if it landed.
    I proceeded to build and test an acoustical "helicopter detector" and also provided ground plans that demonstrated a helo could not land safely in the proposed site area. (It was over the valet parking drive- always busy with auto traffic)
    FAA gave me a tentative blessing subject to CDRH approval. When I petitioned the CDRH for a variance, Manny Karos stated flatly that they would never again approve an outdoor display of any kind in Vegas, and that was the end of that. You just don't know what the Fed will or won't do.