Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSA / Attn: 'Goldenstar' PLEASE.. NO! STOP!!

Laser Warning PSA re: 'Goldenstar Laser Hat' - NOW DISCONTINUED!

EDIT: Editing previous 'alert' post, about this product:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catch1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	372.1 KB 
ID:	44283 ..Which was both *dangerous*, as-initially advertised, and, Illegal, if-used, in-public, in the US... However, there has been a very-respectable 'about-face', from the manufacturer / distributor, 'Goldenstar', and they deserve much praise for the decision to abandon sales / promotion of this product..

..NONETHELESS, I will leave-up the 'summary' of why these were such a bad idea, a) In-case they 're-surface' via another ChOEM / distro-haus, and b) so those, otherwise UNaware, can be aware of the 'whys' / what-made this product border-on 'dangerous'..

#1, These power-levels are *waaay* over the safe-limits for 'MPE' (Maximum Permissible Exposure) for laser-light to enter an eye, even taking the 'blink-reflex time' into account.. *Especially* that much 532, in that fine a beam.. Those power-levels / design of the 'unidirectional-beaming capability' (head + body-movement) plus the lack of *any* safety-controls actually (imo) makes this product DANGEROUS. Additionally,..Think about 'where the 'intended audience / viewers' be looking, when the hat-wearer is beaming-forth? *Straight into low-divergence >30-50mW laser-beams*.. BAD IDEA. Even-if the lasers were 'limited to only 5mW', these would still be a bad-idea, because inherently, they're near / at eye-level..

Reference for the bioeffects of lasers at this power is in Page 6 of this PDF..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser BioEffects.pdf 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	44282

#2, These power-levels are also, *way* over the Legal public-use-limit for 'pointing devices' (5mW..) Use of these - legally - in public, would, yes - actually require a *Variance* as they absolutely fall under the category of a 'Demonstration' product.. Wholly-subject to the Regulations for-such.. Wearing / using these in public also breaks the '3 Meter Rule', since these are way-over 5mW, well-into the other Class that requires such separation....

#3, This product is 'BAD EDUCATION'... a) it sends the message that 'lasers are just harmless toys' - and at these power-levels, they're certainly not!.. But, even if they were 'only 5mW', it still is a horrible-idea to have lasers beaming at face-height.. b) It 'spreads ignorance' of laser-safety principles.. How many countless / ignorant-of-the-dangers kids might accidentally blind / damage who-knows how-many poor cats / dogs, eyes? How many *kids* are gonna 'turn these on, in their own face / eyes'??

#4.. This product - yes, in-fact - could 'damage' the very-industry ChOEMs are hoping-to / have gained sales-ground in, here in the US: 'legitimate' Laser products, like Projectors, etc.. When 'less-than 100% correctly-informed lawmakers' see ill-concieved products like this? They go ballistic, and start making recommends for 'blanket legislations' / bans and such, which only hurts *all* of us, from component-sales, to full-on Pro Show Co's.

..To summarize 'why-not make / sell stuff like this'? Well, in the immortal-words of Ian Malcolm: '..You're so busy thinking about if you could, that you didn't stop to think if you SHOULD!..' Perfect 'food for thought' for this, and many-other products out there.. (ie: Wanton Lazors

That is all..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 08-09-2014 at 22:31. Reason: moar fair, now..
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

PLEASE DO NOT MARKET THIS PRODUCT!

Long ago, early 1990s, working for a famous Canadian, I was helping out at a dance party in Toronto. A teenager had a similar hat with some of the first high power 670 nm modules on it. He was going around the rave asking girls to look into the beams from up close, then maneuvered the hat to catch both of the girls eyes. They were getting their face up almost close enough to kiss him. He was a good looking guy, well dressed, and they were inclined to trust him. The beams looked good in the haze, and none of these girls had any idea what a laser was.

I think he hated girls. He certainly had issues with women, as he found this very fun. It sexually excited him.

He also "Aimed" the hat at us on stage more then once. We had haze in the air, and his hat beams were clearly very high power. The hat beams had no switches, they never went out.

That said, I watched this happen twice, got off the stage, walked down and grabbed both sides of the hat and twisted the lasers off their mounts. I then held onto the sides of the hat long enough to have words with him. I gave him a very serious warning, but I never threatened him. Security ejected me, not him, as this was Canada. My then employer saw what happened, shut down the laser show, and came and fetched me. We had words with security about lasers. The offensive young man was asked to leave, we resumed operations.

One girl clearly had pain and damage. I'm not sure what happened as her friends took her away. His beams were at least 50 mW.

Only time I have ever had to be near violent with a guest.

Please DO NOT market this product. I've seen what happens.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-08-2014 at 06:35.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Laser hat. Yes, the worst idea so far. Apparently the marketing dept has no concern for the well-being of others. Only money and profit matter above all things.

Wouldn't it be illegal to sell this in the US? How and where would they sell them? They're not on eBay. I wouldn't have known about it except for this post.

Oh my God... That is next level bad.

Oh dear God.... Terrible.

I have seen many videos on YouTube of moronic toolbags that build shit like this. DON'T BE ONE OF THOSE MORONS. This hat is just as bad as this moron's project here:

This kind of shit makes me cringe. And yes, E.F. is most likely lurking and laughing at our concern for stuff like this but this is serious and actually, just plain stupid.... intensely stupid.

Steve, your experience is shocking, to say the least. How horrible.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Hi guys,

I am Golden star mimi, sorry to release such dangerous laser product. We just sent out around 100 e-mails, and some customers told me this problem, and I have stop telling and selling such products. This laser hat and laser sword was not produced by Golden star, they are from one of my friend, and he wants me to help him, that is why we sell such products. He told me it was new, and the laser beam can be adjusted ,the laser beam can be higher than human's head, and it won't hurt people.

Anyway, I stop selling already, hope everyone can forgive us on this. Anyway, Golden star is good company,and I am a kind person, always like to help people, hope every one can forget this,and can cooperate in future.

Thank you

mimi

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

well done.. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstarmimi View Post
    Hi guys,

I am Golden star mimi, sorry to release such dangerous laser product. We just sent out around 100 e-mails, and some customers told me this problem, and I have stop telling and selling such products. This laser hat and laser sword was not produced by Golden star, they are from one of my friend, and he wants me to help him, that is why we sell such products. He told me it was new, and the laser beam can be adjusted ,the laser beam can be higher than human's head, and it won't hurt people.

Anyway, I stop selling already, hope everyone can forgive us on this. Anyway, Golden star is good company,and I am a kind person, always like to help people, hope every one can forget this,and can cooperate in future.

Thank you

mimi
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstarmimi View Post
    and the laser beam can be adjusted ,the laser beam can be higher than human's head, and it won't hurt people.

mimi
    Gyro opperated adjustment on theese caps? I know asians custom to bend and bow a lot when meeting and leaving people claims for "adjustments higher than human`s head"

As the mail popped in from Mimi, I send her a reply, and let her know hwat i think about it, and that she could expect a storm from PL members. Promt reply from her, telling me she would stop selling the c(r)ap.

Well done Mimi.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'll jump in to add a "well done" for Mimi as well. A few select people asking a seller to voluntarily remove a product rarely is going to do anything but, being responsive to the immediate concerns and realizing this is a dangerous thing to market and removing it, takes a lot of integrity. Thanks Mimi! You and Goldenstar did the right thing.