Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 hours to change a damned water pump????

I had to replace the waterpump on a 1997 Cherokee 4 times over 10 years, so I know your pain. My arms always looked like they were put through a meat grinder afterwards.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Selem is in peril for me. Within the past three weeks, recall on vacuum sensor, water pump leaking (under warranty) front brakes (expensive) , and guy who did the front brakes killed the main computer(warranty!) . I came back from my prayer group and it died in the driveway, after stalling in the intersection of a major highway. I got 30 miles out of it after the brake job. My prayer was answered (Just make it to the driveway oh Lord) and then it did a imitation of the "Police Special" at the end of the Blues Brothers.... Starter latched on for 15 seconds then next morning waiting for the CPU to time out, no start. Had to tow it. Chevy Cruize with 80K on it. Wouldn't even talk to the diagnostics box.

I like it, but she's a hanger queen. Likes to pop the coolant flow sensor heater, a component that is never in stock.

Waiting to hear if they can get a programmed PCM installed by Tuesday.

Never, never, ever try to change the rear bearings on a Dodge Caravan, requires 16 hours, 12 hours of which involves two Sledgehammers. I'm not sure the extra 50 thousand miles out of the 250,000 I put on it was worth the effort.

Next car is a Honda or Toyota.... Sorry Merica, but neither Ford nor Chevy is doing it for me.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-10-2014 at 09:58.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Ford and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/whatever are f*cking stupid. At least GM products don't have one giant nut holding the fan clutch on. There is not good way to remove them because the pulley just slips. I changed the pump out in the truck I had back in 2009. I got rid of that retarded fan clutch and put a flex fan in. It was a good thing I didn't want to install the old pump. The pump got jacked up trying to remove the fan clutch so I could reuse the pulley.

FWIW, I ended up pulling out the fan shroud and radiator so I could remove the stupid fan/pump assembly.

Could have been worse...Lexus puts the starter in the V of the engine under the intake manifold http://jalopnik.com/5068112/advances...oval-challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Could have been worse...Lexus puts the starter in the V of the engine under the intake manifold http://jalopnik.com/5068112/advances...oval-challenge
    It would be nice if it was as easy as working on those old VW Beetles. I used to be in a VW club and one day we decided to have a "shop day" at some guy's house. We all showed up. One guy said he needed to change his clutch and put in a new oil seal. Within 2 hours they pulled the engine, put the new seal and clutch back in, and reinstalled the engine and had it back running again.

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    Lexus puts the starter in the V of the engine under the intake manifold
    Holy hell! Talk about galactically stupid!

Adam

Welcome to my world ( special tools help!)
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

They had the car since 2 PM on Friday. They stripped it on Saturday. They ordered the parts from a GM courier who got it there Monday. They promised by this afternoon. I'm hitching a ride to SELEM, but have no idea when I'll get my car back.

One mechanic left for warmer waters, they sent the other one out for training, leaving one with six or seven cars opened up. Service manager can't even tell me the status, and I've visited in person twice.

How hard can it be to change a PCM computer on a Cruze? Maybe I'd better go finish it myself.
    Seems I just need the PCM, their laptop, and a 3600$ tool to flash it through the ODB II. How hard can it be....

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-12-2014 at 18:44.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I would've bought a used one from a junk yard if it wasn't under warranty. Cheaper and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    They had the car since 2 PM on Friday. They stripped it on Saturday. They ordered the parts from a GM courier who got it there Monday. They promised by this afternoon. I'm hitching a ride to SELEM, but have no idea when I'll get my car back.

One mechanic left for warmer waters, they sent the other one out for training, leaving one with six or seven cars opened up. Service manager can't even tell me the status, and I've visited in person twice.

How hard can it be to change a PCM computer on a Cruze? Maybe I'd better go finish it myself.
    Seems I just need the PCM, their laptop, and a 3600$ tool to flash it through the ODB II. How hard can it be....

Steve

Proprietary software, makes it nearly impossible for anyone to do.

PCM replacement is easy, but programming is where the trick lies in unfortunately.

BtW, i can check labor times if you PM me your VIN number, chrysler or GM products..
    Last edited by carlos3621; 08-12-2014 at 21:27.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine