Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Mits 1.8W 638nm

Do you know if the beams have the same polarization? Otherwise, you will have to put a wave plate ahead of the cube.

I wouldn't give up on this diode yet. Especially if it is the diode mitsu was referring to in the announcement from the original post. The 73 is rated at .5W CW the new diode is supposed to be rated at 1.8W. Even if its two beams the power from each would be .9W CW. Almost double the 73 per beam CW.

Hey drm916, where did you get those pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    Hey drm916, where did you get those pics?
    Laserpointer forum.

Lightbulb

Posting to track..

Quote Originally Posted by slicklasers View Post
    ...2 beams coming out is easy to handle, a simple knife edge mirror and PBS cube and it's fixed.
    ..or, well, a Prism / PBS (...and, possibly wave-plate, but..) Ya, no real-biggie.. And that-all can be quite-tiny, the way that assy. was in the MGs, as you point out.. Wouldn't that be a kicker if those MG 'nose-cone' colli's ended-up being the 'hero' of this diode? I suspect, tho, that the combi'd output will still need cyl-pair correction, but.. Depends on your 'application', I guess.. Graphics?? They'd prolly be barf, but.. TBD..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Future Development
    Going forward, Mitsubishi Electric plans to enhance its new LD's high-power, low-consumption characteristics, aiming at a commercial launch in the fiscal year ending in March 2016, at which time laser light sources for projectors are expected to take off.

To wait or not to wait .. that is the question .. what's next? Methinks holding out for higher power is a plan ..

Orthrus...Two headed dog !!! This diode qualifies....just plain ugly...a twin flashlight fail !!! Me thinks you are right Steve....I think this one is just TOO ugly to correct...'neven for us Rocket Scientist wanna bee's !!! Even Terrawatt sez '' Wada Ugly dog of a Diode ..now...who cares !!!. werza dog bones slick ?? "

CDBEAM=======>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Othhrus Image 2.png  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 02-12-2015 at 19:36.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

This diode strikes me as stupid. The two beams have to be combined, but their proximity makes that more complex then simple single beam diodes. It is almost certain that the polarization is parallel. It is hard to imagine how they would manufacture the junctions orthogonal to each other. A wave plate would be necessary. The proximity of the dies means that they are concentrating the thermal load and that means they will tend to run warmer than an equivalent output from individual diodes. If each beam represents a die which, when operated stock, could generate 0.9W then they could have easily have produced a diode with almost twice the stock output of a P73.

Sometime back, DTR had me evaluate a multi-watt diode that also produces a weird composite beam. I did one of my videos demonstrating this diode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9z5ioZhNjE

Some people swear by single mode diodes and some are willing to correct multimodes, but these are getting too close to red filtered arc lamps.