Thread: Flexmod troubleshooting

Default Flexmod troubleshooting

Is it possible to burn out a flexmod? What happened was I was turning the gain up and it hit around 1 amp and then the flexmod reset. By reset I mean that power output dropped down to zero and also the 0-bias setting dropped down to something nominal. I connected a meter and put the 0-bias back to 50 ma and the gain to about 350 ma. It worked for a minute and then I tried turning the gain up again and it reset again. Then I noticed the red fault led is on, and now I can't get it go off again. I read that the light will come up if the output circuit is open, so I thought the diode was blown. I then connected another driver that I had (badpip's quad) and everything worked fine. The blue diode I am using is rated at 1.6A. I checked the fuse on the flexmod, it's fine.

Is it possible that I messed up the flexmod by adjusting the gain while the diode was connected?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!
    Mike

Adjusting the current with the diode hooked up shouldn't have affected it. That could pop a diode but not the Flexmod. What voltage are you feeding the Flexmod? Anything over the diode's rated voltage has to be disappated as heat and these can get *really* hot. Did you have a decent heatsink on the FET?
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

make sure all your connections are soldered instead of socketing the diode/alligator clips.

Quote Originally Posted by blowfly View Post
    Is it possible to burn out a flexmod? What happened was I was turning the gain up and it hit around 1 amp and then the flexmod reset. By reset I mean that power output dropped down to zero and also the 0-bias setting dropped down to something nominal. I connected a meter and put the 0-bias back to 50 ma and the gain to about 350 ma. It worked for a minute and then I tried turning the gain up again and it reset again. Then I noticed the red fault led is on, and now I can't get it go off again. I read that the light will come up if the output circuit is open, so I thought the diode was blown. I then connected another driver that I had (badpip's quad) and everything worked fine. The blue diode I am using is rated at 1.6A. I checked the fuse on the flexmod, it's fine.

Is it possible that I messed up the flexmod by adjusting the gain while the diode was connected?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!
    Mike
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.