Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: News Show

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    just an impression since I don't have Beyond
    I think there are many things you can do in LSX you can't do in Beyond
    LOL! "I don't know anything about it, but I'm sure it sucks!"

The good news is that most folks use Pangolin and don't have to worry about exporting to ILDA. Which, once again, is a worthless format. Even so, I have Pangolin and CAN export to ILDA. So what's the deal with this argument??

In all my time playing with lasers I can't think of a single time when I've purchased an ILDA file...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I already feel bad about derailing this thread further but oh well... damage has been done!

The good news is that most folks use Pangolin and don't have to worry about exporting to ILDA.
    There are a whole lot more who don't and who just don't have this option. Because you don't need it doesn't mean everybody doesn't need it! For a lot of people, Ilda files are all they have. And Ilda isn't that bad, it's fairly useable. There are indeed many variables though (an "optimised" ilda file should never exist though it's very much needed). If you want to sell your art and both parties are using Pangolin then everybody is happy. But what if you want to sell art to somebody who doesn't? You're immediately out of luck, if you're using QS or Beyond. I don't know what obscure hacks you need to do to export to ilda with Pangolin...

LOL! "I don't know anything about it, but I'm sure it sucks!"
    Hehe... Can I change that to "I've done things in LSX I've never seen done in Beyond"? That's more accurate :P

I REALLY didn't mean to start a Pangolin VS. LSX war... Actually, since I've played around with NEITHER piece of software, I don't know a whole lot about either... Well, I played around with the Quick Show demo I got from Pangolin, but wasn't really able to do much with it aside from manipulate the tons of graphics they have there. I spent about an hour or two on the phone with someone from this forum who knows the two software packages quite well, and explained to him all I wanted to do... That's where I learned that LSX would have been the better choice... And trust me, this guy IS NOT some "Oh, I just bought a new laser a few months ago," this is a guy who has been around here for several years... So I trust his judgement AND his opinions... He's helped me out quite a bit!!

But then again, so have so many others... Right now I'm trying to get my hands on LSX, because it's the more affordable of the two packages... ILD export AND import are VERY important to me... I'm sure both are absolutely awesome... But since I know very little about show creation (save for what I've done already with the "freeware" tools I have), maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh on Pangolin... But lest we forget, last time I checked, this is still America, where we have free speech, so I am entitled to my opinions. I just glad I'm not the only one that thinks disabling .ild support is just plain WRONG...

I already feel bad about derailing this thread further but oh well... damage has been done!
    Indeed, this thread has been destroyed!

There are a whole lot more who don't and who just don't have this option. Because you don't need it doesn't mean everybody doesn't need it! For a lot of people, Ilda files are all they have. And Ilda isn't that bad, it's fairly useable. There are indeed many variables though (an "optimised" ilda file should never exist though it's very much needed). If you want to sell your art and both parties are using Pangolin then everybody is happy. But what if you want to sell art to somebody who doesn't? You're immediately out of luck, if you're using QS or Beyond. I don't know what obscure hacks you need to do to export to ilda with Pangolin...
    Hacks? No hacks needed... As a quick demo, I saved some output from a console to wave, converted via LC-ADAT in Beyond, exported to ST, changed the setting in ST to save the output to an ilda file and hit play. Enjoy: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...G8&usp=sharing

I always get a bit of a chuckle at all the folks that bash Pangolin about not being able to export ilda, when it's not totally true...

Hehe... Can I change that to "I've done things in LSX I've never seen done in Beyond"? That's more accurate :P
    "just an impression since I don't have Beyond"

...And despite the "arguments," I've learned a lot from even these discussions... Shoot, if I need to know anything about most projectors or pieces of software, all I have to do is go through the history of this forum... It'd probably take a few hours of reading to digest it all (lol), but it's all here...

Sharing what we have and what we make with the rest of the world... It's what makes a community grow, even this one.. Creation is the essence of all life... And nowhere have I seen more awesome creations than in these webpages... So you'll definitely be seeing more images and shows from me even if they're not animation enabled...

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post

Hacks? No hacks needed... As a quick demo, I saved some output from a console to wave, converted via LC-ADAT in Beyond, exported to ST, changed the setting in ST to save the output to an ilda file and hit play. Enjoy: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...G8&usp=sharing
    Now there's a file I can open! There's some interesting things going on, is that a circle following the path of the abstract?

The question is... can you export it as ilda format 4/5 instead of version 1? Because now colour information *is* being lost (although there doesn't appear to be colour information originally so this is hypothetical). If Pangolin claims they disabled ilda export in beyond because it would only export to v0/1 they have a point about colour, though it'd take a skilled programmer two minutes to add support for version 4/5 :P

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

to be fair, that's a bit of a round about process.

however, it is an excellent example of why your Ilda to Wave widget is so awesome.

I always get a bit of a chuckle at all the folks that bash Pangolin about not being able to export ilda, when it's not totally true...
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrationsOfDoom View Post
    ILD export AND import are VERY important to me...
    Pangolin will import ILDA on all software. The export is the more spendy option. So, to end the argument.... Yes, you CAN export to ILDA from Pangolin. Both are great software. Again, I will say that the learning curve for LSX is a bit steeper but for abstracts, they are on par and will do about the same things. The only thing is, Pangolin will reach your doorstep well within a week.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Now there's a file I can open! There's some interesting things going on, is that a circle following the path of the abstract?
    Just know that no DACs were used to create that abstract!

The question is... can you export it as ilda format 4/5 instead of version 1? Because now colour information *is* being lost..........blah blah blah!
    This is exactly one of the biggest reasons that the ILDA file format is garbage, in my opinion. Just how many version of the "standard" file format are there?! When I take a file from the software package I use, I damn sure want it to look exactly the same on someone else's computer as it does on mine. Good luck with that and the ILDA file format.... Sharing a show between Pangolin users is easy, sharing a show between LSX users is probably easy. To go back and forth between these two prominent platforms is problematic. I'm not sure how LSX gets the job done but in Pangolin, if I wanted to recreate that short ILDA file I posted I could probably do it in 10-15 frames, but in the ILDA file format it's 2136 frames....

to be fair, that's a bit of a round about process.
    Fair enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if the final version of Beyond had an ILDA export feature. I doubt such a feature is high on anyone's list at the moment.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

As a quick demo, I saved some output from a console to wave, converted via LC-ADAT in Beyond, exported to ST, changed the setting in ST to save the output to an ilda file and hit play.
    where is LC-ADAT in Beyond? i can't find it.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.