Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: are video projectors replacing laser projectors for graphics?

Man this is starting to seem more like a despirate troll attempt.
    Solidude I urge you to go out to see a real laser show or laser graphics show.. your screen cannot display the contrasts that can be seen in real life.

If video projectors could do the exact same what laser graphics can then laser graphics wouldn't be there.. it's not rocket science to come to that conclusion.
    A lof of us do this stuff for years.. if what you stated would be a true replacement we would have known for a long time now.. us knowing the visual differences its uncomparable.

I think I'm done posting here, waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJunkie View Post
    Dont get me wrong, I loooooooove laser light. But I dont like 3rd grade art work galvos create.
    This is up to the artist. I use special optimizations aside from ILDSOS (which are manual) to create quite complex art work and use professional flash puppets these days for very complex rig movement.

I don't have many examples of it as the technique is very new when it comes to laser display but here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4_progs.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	44426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	single.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	44427

Name:	progress.gif 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	44428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapes.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	44429
    *!old gif rendition! issues displayed have been resolved and content is subject to change*

These new kind of rigs can be completely manipulated from every perspective.. everything can be changed.. expressions.. mouth hair it's all possible like real cartoons.
    This is for a hasbro licensed event in the center of amsterdam btw in collaboration with a movie academy.
    Last edited by masterpj; 08-18-2014 at 15:09.

I used to be the troll king, and I can honestly say I dont see any trolling here. At least not from me.

I've been thinking of using a Pico projector. It uses a RGB laser system. Wouldnt this give me a simular effect of a PJ?

I dont plan on doing events. I want something for around my house.
    Last edited by TechJunkie; 08-18-2014 at 15:10.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Sounds like you are in the wrong forum.
    You're right, and wrong Gary. It took me a while to figure out that a PJ will not give me the effects I want. But I am still a laser enthusiast. I've learned a lot here, and continue to learn. If alternative thought makes you uncomfortable then maybe you should ignore me. I'm from LPF and we're used to thinking out of the box. Maybe thats why you couldnt last there. Oh ya, I remember now. You thought the members where too stupid to crack your software. Then the Spaghetti Monster came along, and you know the rest.

Didnt you get banned here too????
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

You're right, and wrong Gary. It took me a while to figure out that a PJ will not give me the effects I want. But I am still a laser enthusiast. I've learned a lot here, and continue to learn. If alternative thought makes you uncomfortable then maybe you should ignore me. I'm from LPF and we're used to thinking out of the box. Maybe thats why you couldnt last there.
    I didn't last in LPF because I called them a bunch of dorks in my signature line. Then I got banned. In other words, I chose not to be there.

I used to be the troll king, and I can honestly see I dont see any trolling here. At least not from me.

I've been thinking of using a Pico projector. It uses a RGB laser system. Wouldnt this give me a simular effect of a PJ?

I dont plan on doing events. I want something for around my house.
    If you want stars you use a diffraction grating on a cheap projector on top of that the stars with a diffraction grating create a cool glow which really adds up to the star effect, then use another projector to do the visuals with a fish eye lens.
    You can buy the pangolin lens or use a nikon fish eye lens for this.
    Expensive? no.. fish eye lens costed me 100 euros.

Name:	nikonfisheye.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	44431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180_degrees_laser_projection_angle_by_laserpon3-d77nfdg.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	44432
    Also: the pico brightness is bad.
    Last edited by masterpj; 08-18-2014 at 15:17.

Seen them doesn't mean you've seen it all.
    No idea what software you used nor what projector you owned so your experience might have been different.

Diffraction grating is limited yes but thats why people think of clever setups.. Things that usually cost effort or a creative mind usually are less common and therefore more unique... People who all do the same do not stand out in an entertainment industry where it's all about surprising/stunning the crowd everytime you perform.

Ok really done now. Fixing some stuff before I leave tomorrow for camping with my father. My studies start soon so the week is the last bit I can afford to relax and read papers on lasers and stuff and finally catch some sun in the progress.

Then if you are so much convinced about the superiority of video projectors, why don't you go out and buy a video projector, and let us poor guys here with our useless expensive laser hardware? Simple as that...

Quote Originally Posted by solidude View Post
    Seriously? I've made shows, seen shows, rented equipment and you think I haven't seen the right ones?

Even with clever setups I've seen, it's limited to me.

Uh, ok.

Use what works for you You don't have to convince anyone here. I think that concludes the whole argument (also good morning).

I believe all was said about it in this thread, nothing more to say to convince you that they are and will stay different tools, not really exchangable apart maybe for a hobby use in a living room... if you're still not, even after seeing side-by-side use in real, or the video where both are used to project graphics on building, then you will be impossible to convince and should go the video pj route

But for sure, if you project lines with the same thickness, the laser lines will appear much brighter than the video lines. It's physical, the video projector can't output all its lumen on a single point, to draw thin lines it has to block the light output from its entire projection surface apart where is located the line. Or am I totally wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by solidude View Post
    Because I'm not totally convinced and want to know what is it that I'm missing here.
    Doesn't mean I'll agree with every point everyone will say and not want to discuss them.
    Calling me a troll for doing this also doesn't help.

We had this same discussion when the first DLP projectors came along. Didn't replace laser graphics then, and it won't now.

The artistry is in the use of the media. There are tons of effects that can be done with video projectors that cannot be done with laser graphics projectors, and vice versa. The truth is, people's expectations have grown with the over abundance of ultra bright LED video screens screaming for attention in every direction when you go to places like Vegas or New York in Times Square. 3D Video mapping is more common place in corporate events, raves, and concerts. And the quality of 3D animated movies have almost become life-like, with the exception of the uncanny valley. And even then, Pixar has set the bar pretty high for animation expectations. The same old laser clip art flipping around and zooming just isn't going to cut it anymore.

With that said, its not like laser animation has just stood still since the days of Lasermedia or the old QM32. There are exciting things happening in Pangolin Beyond that is allowing for really advanced graphic show creation. With high powered, full colored RGB projectors finally getting into a price range that is reasonable, multi scanner shows are very feasible to create some eye catching, jaw dropping shows. Synchonizing multiple 30K+ scanners to create multiple layers of very advanced laser graphics, with masking is almost laughably easy now. And while video still struggles with getting good black level and contrast levels, lasers can contrast very well with a black background to still almost appear floating in 3D space. And I won't even mention the near infinite scalability since it has already been brought up. with Pangolin Quickshow, RIYA and supporting software, and other entry level platforms, this is putting show creation into the hands of more capable people with capabilities that we only dreamed of 15-20 years ago. And Ive seen some clever use of this at raves and club shows.

But it really shouldn't be a question of "or", but rather "and". Almost all of the laser over video shows I've seen absolutely take my breath away. I saw a video of an Audi corporate demo recently with laser over video, and the fact that the laser could make the highlights in the video "jump" off the screen just made the whole presentation pop with excitement. But it was a combination of laser, video, and music. The expectation is so high now that it really does have to be a true multi media experience to keep Joe Sixpack from checking his phone.

Just like anime hasn't displaced manga or comics, and 8bit and 16 bit retro gaming is making a tremendous comeback, I don't honestly believe laser graphics will go away anytime soon. like with neon signs, there will always be conosiuers who prefer them over the flashy video billboards.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by digiassn; 08-18-2014 at 23:03.