Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One E-Stop, many outs

Dave just reminded me of an idea that i had some years ago that i never put into practice due to Ethernet over mains not being very reliable at the time ...

And that was to power all projectors from Rear of house over a standard long mains cable with the mains going through an Estop situated by the laptop at RoH
    this also used a Ethernet over mains adapters at each end to transmit receive data to the FBs / .Nets

Now that Ethernet over mains is a lot faster and more reliable it may be possible ( even more likely someone here is actually using this method ) the plus side is that the Estop is pretty failsafe as it kills everything

all the best

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Heres what I do

I have FB4's in or beside all lasers now, run combo power/ethernet to each laser.

The power distro has a KVANT power board built into it to enable a large contactor to supply or kill power to the lasers.

No more ILDA cables, which I loathe! And the combo cable makes setup / packdown so much quicker, as well as meaning there is the bare minimum of cable to forget.

Since the distro uses the KVANT power board, the Estop runs down 3 pin xlr, so I either tap into a audio patch to FOH, or convert to ethernet and run down the spare ethernet cable..

Attachment 49572
    In the USA.. it is against the regulation to use a power cut as a means of estoping a projector. The regulation specifically mentions that cutting power to the projector isnt acceptable. So we are not supposed to go that route. I just slap stanwax boards in my projectors and have to run a seperate estop plug to them. Its a pain in the butt.

Tell ER and Laserimage that - both companies do the same and both companies operate in the US
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Hi.

Talked with a guy from the NL. He sayed LaserImage (hugo) have dual power line to the projector. One there are always on for the scanners and control things. and the other power line for the sources. But only what is heard. Please correct me if somebody knows if for 110%. :-)

/Poul.

As I understand if you Estop a Hugo protector it removes power to the qm2000.net suggesting otherwise..

I know many companies do it. Especially ones that also operate outside the USA. But that doesnt change the fact that the regulation, in the usa, says it is should not be used as an estop method.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserpower View Post
    Hi.

Talked with a guy from the NL. He sayed LaserImage (hugo) have dual power line to the projector. One there are always on for the scanners and control things. and the other power line for the sources. But only what is heard. Please correct me if somebody knows if for 110%. :-)

/Poul.
    That is the recommended method. I know a lot of companies do it with just power to the whole projector. But in the USA, is not a recommended method for estop to just pull power to the whole projector.

With that said.. it is possible to write a product report or show report to work around the regulations. Its why we all have variances.. but here is a copy of the regulation. In the past the FDA has allowed the control signal to be the beam attenuator. But in spirit, it is frowned upon to use a power cut to kill emission in the US.

"Beam attenuator. (i) Each laser system classified as a Class II, III, or IV laser product shall be provided with one or more permanently attached means, other than laser energy source switch(es), electrical supply main connectors, or the key-actuated master control, capable of preventing access by any part of the human body to all laser and collateral radiation in excess of the accessible emission limits of Class I and table VI."

Quote Originally Posted by Laserpower View Post
    Hi.

/Poul.
    Estop = power to the laser modules, keyswitch = remove power of the prehistorical QM.net
    People who worked with many QM,s know you do not want to turn off qm.s in a live show, but sometime is necessary when the qm is in a "strange" state.
    But who uses this dinosaur in 2016?

PS, we also cut power to the projector for E-stop. Simple and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    People who worked with many QM,s know you do not want to turn off qm.s in a live show, but sometime is necessary when the qm is in a "strange" state.
    Haha, people who have worked with many qm2000.nets know they dont play nice at the best of times.. FB4 for the win. These guys play real nice!