Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Venus 2 From Lightspace

Default Venus 2 From Lightspace

Hi guys, I have got 2 of these bad boys on order from Lightspace I really like their projectors the last one I had was a nice solid build!

I will do a full review with pics when they arrive hopefully next week.

Here are some pics and the units specs.

Red637nm 680mw is 3mm, <0.7mrad
    Green520nm 900mw is 4mm <1.0mrad
    Blue 445nm 1600mw is 4mm<1.0mard

PT-A40 wide angle, touch screen board+SD card, Mechanical Shutter,Scan-fail safety.

A quick question what is the SD card used for in projectors? I have never used this function or understood what it would be for.

The SD card is used for standalone show storage, so you can have the projector run through a series of shows on its own without an external DAC and show software. "showcards" vary in capability; the one in my supercheap Spencer laser is full of problems, but perhaps this one is better. I don't think I've seen anyone do a review of the showcard portion of any of these Lightspace projectors.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your review of the Venus! After seeing all of those Plutos at SELEM, I am dying to get something going here in terms of projection. Trying to evaluate cost/benefit of all the options. Please keep us posted!

I love my 2 plutos, and I will buy 2 venus also if they perform OK I wish that instead of DMX and card for shows, they could use the cost in faster galvos.

Ok that's good to know about the SD card not that it will be a function that is useful to me very often unless I can store shown from beyond to it?
    When they arrive I will do a full review with some beam shots and power readings

The all in one RGB is the magic of this new unit. I will upgrade to one of these down the lines from my Lightspace Leo unit I use for programing and mucking with laser software. One thing about Lightspace to keep in mind always ask about beam size and divergence options. Lightspace can build some GREAT units with MATCHING 4mm beam and <1mrad not listed on its standard price sheet. Great to see shutters on the systems now. I will be visiting Lightspace next month and will take some video of the place for the forum.
    Last edited by Picasso; 08-21-2014 at 13:41.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

The configuration of the Venus II above is exactly the same as my most recent Pluto - except that it's in separate modules I think. (I haven't opened the flight case yet!) I'll be curious to find out what the price difference is for essentially the same projector.

Lightbulb Yes, very nice... Couple words of caution, however..

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    The all in one RGB is the magic of this new unit...
    Indeed, very-cool.. for 'hobbyist' / club-type / 'non-banked' work, but.. For gigs where the lasers are 'all or nothing', imo, it's a bit of a risk having an 'all in one'.. If one of the diodes / drivers bakes... What happens to the others?? And, at the very least, even if the other colors are "OK", the entire unit will have to be replaced / sent-back (for those not able / wanting to 'DIY'..) ..which = Total unit-down time, vs 'partial', if ie: you 'only lost a green', or other, in the 'traditional 3-head'-style pj's (Pluto, etc..)

..Just some 'food for thought', for those 'banking' shows on this design.. Very-sexxy, tho..

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
    ...Great to see shutters on the systems now..
    Indeed, as-well.. However.. At least in the units I've seen in-person, the "shutter" that they've got in there, is really kinda, well... non-compliant.. At least, how they're 'controlling it'.. It's *waaay* too-slow to be a 'true safety-shutter'.. ie: Project something / anything, then.. 'pull the power' / toggle the power sw... More often than not, ya get a nice, full-power beam 'snap', out the front window (..which is another engineering-bug to fix..).. Or, yank the interlock, simulating an 'E-Stop'.. the "shutter" makes it's way-down, niice and slooow, like a 'railway crossing-bar', or Gramma cutting the butter fer yer oatmeal... ..It's waaaay-too slow..

..IIRC, it is like a 'stepper' motor - which, in and of itself, isn't really the issue, but.. w/O even a 'lightweight arm-spring', ie: the Mobolazer actuators, and its 'soft-close', it really doesn't cut it.. A true safety-shutter, needs to be like the ever-famous "Lucas-Ledex" rotary-solenoids, ie:
    ..and / or the legendary 'GM-20's ...Both are ubiquitous / the 'part-of-choice', for good reason.. Millions-of-cycles of reliability (provided you don't over-volt them into meltdown-oblivion.. ..and they are well-known / loved by the Cee Dee Arr Ache..

..Most-importantly, they have quite the healthy *snap* / very-quick 'response-time', such-as to genuinely mitigate nasty loose-ends like 'power-transients causing power-loss beam-spitting'.. Really not very-desirable in Class IV-bangers..

..So, ya might-make 'mention' of that.. Perhaps they're already 'working on it' (??) That would follow, since they've really done a great job on the Pluto II.. Save for the small issue with the 'shutter speed', it's a top-notch product..

j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 08-25-2014 at 06:18. Reason: typ0z
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

an fast answer regarding 2 things.

1, Replacing the hole unit should be no problem, Omars great 4-5 days service including shipping to Norway mean that the complete projector should be ready to run after just 1 week and I got 4 RGBs soon, so if 1 fail it should not be any trouble.
    And another thing, if 1 colour fail, you can still use the laser with the 2 other colors until the replacement brick is shipped.

2. Shutter, for me I don't see why I should have shutter (but that is MY needs) , I usually never do any audience scanning. So if one laser freeze or something like that, I got plenty of time to remote power OFF all lasers withing 4-6 seconds.

What I would like to know if they are as powerful and fast as the PLUTO, and I would also like to see a picture side by side to compare size.

Hey johnmcc, any more thoughts on the Venus II? Had a chance to work with them much at all?

Hey sorry for the late reply on this guys been very busy recently. I will do a full review on this projector at the weekend but all I can say is I think its great and will be getting 2 more soon

Here is a link to my Facebook page where you can see some videos and pics of it in action at recent gigs. like to hear your feedback

www.facebook.com/systematiclasers

- - - Updated - - -

Hey sorry for the late reply on this guys been very busy recently. I will do a full review on this projector at the weekend but all I can say is I think its great and will be getting 2 more soon

Here is a link to my Facebook page where you can see some videos and pics of it in action at recent gigs. like to hear your feedback

www.facebook.com/systematiclasers