Thread: Laser power when going through dichro?

Default Laser power when going through dichro?

OK ive just received this meter
    http://www.die4laser.com/D4Thing/D4Thing.html

its really good, but question

heres my setup

The red is brand new (three days old) and its from aixiz and should be 200mw and the green is a 100mw module.

Now a few weeks ago i tested the green and it measure 300mw or 106mw with an IR filter.

When i use my new meter at the window of my scanners its only measuring 26mw of green??? and something like 10mw of red???

should i really loose this much through a dichro and the scanner mirrors???
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Andy,

Losses are to be expected when using dichros to combine different color lasers. Also, you will be loosing a few more percent from each mirror on the x-y scan head. The type of losses you are talking about are way too high. Looking at the photo of your projector, I am a bit puzzled by the optic you seem to be refering to as a "dichro". I'm not quite sure what that is. Here is what a dichro looks like:

They could also be square in shape and much thinner. You may just want to get rid of that optic and replace it will a good quality optic from Edmunds.

You may also want to add an IR filter for safety...

David

I confirm, way too much loss!
    A good dichro like one from Edmunds, is reflecting >98% and loss 5-10% on transmission.
    And the mirrors of the scanner can loss 5% per mirror, so you should end up with a power like 90mW of green and 175mW of red...
    That's which I'm measuring on my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by DZurcher View Post
    Andy,

Losses are to be expected when using dichros to combine different color lasers. Also, you will be loosing a few more percent from each mirror on the x-y scan head. The type of losses you are talking about are way too high. Looking at the photo of your projector, I am a bit puzzled by the optic you seem to be refering to as a "dichro". I'm not quite sure what that is. Here is what a dichro looks like:

They could also be square in shape and much thinner. You may just want to get rid of that optic and replace it will a good quality optic from Edmunds.

You may also want to add an IR filter for safety...

David
    heres my cheap dichro im using

http://www.laser-man.co.uk/2006/inde...id=13&Itemid=6

i found out theres a problem with my power meter
    i mucked it up
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat