Thread: What is the best / cheapest method of paying GoldenStar?

Default What is the best / cheapest method of paying GoldenStar?

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:53.

It's a small price to pay for the security it gives you, especially if you also use a credit card to fund the Paypal payment.

Tell your friend to stop being so cheap

They could just inflate their prices to include the Paypal costs they incur, all thats happening is they are being transparent with the costs. It's just that we're not generally used to seeing it presented like that. That said, I still encounter the occassional place that charges a Paypal surcharge, which is essentially the same thing.

If you look on the PI they send, there are also their bank details and SWIFT code if you want to do a transfer, but you may find your bank charges for international transfers, and you don't get any level of protection.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

The PayPal gift option allows paying with no fees but I don't think it is allowable for these types of purchases and there is no buyer protection in that case. So, if you are really cheap and you can work it out with Goldenstar I bet you could do a gift payment under the table. I don't think that would be a good idea, though.

The PayPal gift option allows paying with no fees but I don't think it is allowable for these types of purchases and there is no buyer protection in that case. So, if you are really cheap and you can work it out with Goldenstar I bet you could do a gift payment under the table. I don't think that would be a good idea, though.
    Gift payments still have a fee associated with them somewhere, so it costs regardless. However, it is cheaper than paying as a purchase.
    The reason why i suggest using a credit card is that ANY Paypal transaction is considered a sale as far as the CC is concerned, so you get your CC chargeback protection regardless.
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Gift payments still have a fee associated with them somewhere, so it costs regardless. However, it is cheaper than paying as a purchase.
    The reason why i suggest using a credit card is that ANY Paypal transaction is considered a sale as far as the CC is concerned, so you get your CC chargeback protection regardless.
    I have paid as a gift with no fees before. That's how I paid for SELEM. I do know that sometimes there are fees involved even with gifts but I don't know when they apply or when they don't. Paying with a credit card is definitely a good idea that I recommend but I don't think you can do a non-fee gift payment that way since the credit card company wants their cut. My point was that IF the buyer is cheap and trusts the seller, then the gift way is an option. That implies waiving any type of buyer protection.

I think that no fees are involved if you are funding the payment from a bank balance. If you are using a card, there is a fee, as you say, from the CC company.
    As I never have any money in the bank, every payment i've ever made via PP has had a fee!
    Frikkin Lasers

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 11:53.

I will tell you this... As someone ordering FROM China and having them ship TO the United States, I don't want precision placed scanners, dichros and laser mounts damaged or bumped around in shipping... And I CERTAINLY don't want to pay $300-800- whatever for a projector and wait eagerly for it to get here, open the box and find that I have to send it BACK to China for replacement or repair... With the DHL service, my package arrived in tip top shape, as they deliver by van and personally place the package IN YOUR HAND... And I assume DHL or whatever the shipping service is uses airplanes to deliver the packages to wherever they have to go... You cannot, I repeat you CANNOT put a price tag on security, safety and the horrors of seeing even the United Postal Service give you a letter or package that they say was "damaged in their machines." You want to ensure your package gets thousands of miles of trip time to arrive safely at your destination? PAY THE DAMN FEES!!! Sometimes, you just CANNOT scrimp on cost...

With regard to the bank transfers, it might be different in other countries or with certain bank account service packages, but at my bank in Canada with a basic account the costs of international bank transfers seem to start at $35 or so and go up from there rather quickly with the amount. Combined with the extra safety of using paypal, it seems to be about the best option.

If i'm trading with a new company in China i will use an ESCROW service, most companies accept this, and if not, there is usually a reason why. Once i am confident in the company i use a SWIFT / BIC online payment service from my business account for subsequent payments - £15 for a 3 day service, with no extra charges no matter how large the payment.

Paypal has a lot of terms and conditions associated with its "protection" and may not give the cover it appears to on the surface - maybe it is better if it is funded by a credit card?

On the subject of shipping - i used to believe that the express services from UPS / DHL etc were the best option, but we have recently started using passenger airline air cargo. 12 hours from Hong Kong to London Heathrow ( always a direct flight off course, the freight companies use several hubs that cause delays frequently). Off course as i bring in shipments in from time to time i have a good clearance agent and all the customs numbers / paperwork. Our record, to date, from manufacturers warehouse in Guangzhou to my warehouse in Bedfordshire, UK using this system is 23 hours!

the crazy thing is it is much cheaper than UPS / DHL etc too!
    Last edited by csg; 08-23-2014 at 13:47.