Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OEM 1.8W 445nm Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Seriously. Once that's factored in, us on this side of the pond are paying nearly double the cost of the parts.
    Really?

Just a back of the envelope calc: these were specially binned, very high efficiency diodes - as time has progressed they are approximately equivalent to the 9mm 445nm's. DTR has these for $80.
    A G2 lens is $35, the anamorphic prisms from Stanwax are $60, a similar dual driver to the Badpip one, such as Lasertack's dual is: $85, a similar brass housing from LaserShowParts is $22.
    That's a total of $280 excluding the base plate, machining time, assembly, or shipping or taxes from any of the suppliers.
    £200 ~= $330.

Could you make a blue module cheaper? Sure, but these use high quality parts, and are brand new, completely assembled and have been power meter checked to >1.8W.
    Am I selling these to make a profit? No, I'm just having a clear out, and the aim was to let someone who wants to add a ready-to-go blue module to their projector for not much £££ - I thought £200 was a very good price all things considered.

So I think "twice the part cost" is a little unfair, irrespective of geography.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ok, Dan... I'll give you that. I did not put as much time into the back of a cocktail napkin as you did and was more mentally calculating it. I estimated a little less for the diode and the prisms and drivers. My apologies but, as with many things we often see from this side of the pond, our lousy dollar against the pound and shipping do make you have to think twice about most purchases.

(Can you believe we're talking and quibbling about 1.8 watts of laser power for like... $330? That's just a little insane compared to only a couple years ago! ")
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 08-27-2014 at 03:24.