Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CR Super 7S Laser Fault

Default CR Super 7S Laser Fault

Hi,

I have two Super 7S lasers which have developed the same fault that they are not fully operation on one axis. By that I mean the vertical or horizontal image is squashed and not opening fully. There may also be a scanner issue. The PCB for each stepper motor, part number HSC00803(X/Y)-045 appears to have four calibration pots on each, the dials on the blue components, SG, LFD, HFD and SI. Could anyone tell me if this is correct and if so is there a set reading for true calibration of each pot. Also are these PCB’s available to buy separately? If so could anyone please tell me if there are any UK stockists.

Any other advice or possible solution would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Alistair Silver

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by alisilver View Post
    Hi,

I have two Super 7S lasers which have developed the same fault that they are not fully operation on one axis. By that I mean the vertical or horizontal image is squashed and not opening fully. There may also be a scanner issue. The PCB for each stepper motor, part number HSC00803(X/Y)-045 appears to have four calibration pots on each, the dials on the blue components, SG, LFD, HFD and SI. Could anyone tell me if this is correct and if so is there a set reading for true calibration of each pot. Also are these PCB’s available to buy separately? If so could anyone please tell me if there are any UK stockists.

Any other advice or possible solution would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Alistair Silver
    Hi,

Welcome to PL. I'd like to be certain that we're talking about the same thing... is this referencing a RGB laser projector made by CR-Tec called the Super 7 (model "S") that runs about 450mW in total? Sold perhaps 6-7 years ago? I have two of them... a model S and a model M (which was closer to 800mW). I wasn't certain, as you are talking about stepper motor part numbers and that projector doesn't have stepper motors. I've had a similar problem to what you've described but, I attribute it to a bad pot or solder joint for adjusting the x and y size on the back of the projector. If a little pressure from your finger or wiggling on the pot causes the image to open up to where it should, probably just a replacement of the pot or loose wire. I haven't had time to investigate mine as it doesn't do it all the time and I've only pulled them out a couple times a year. My "plan" is to just replace the chinese PCB's and rewire the projectors with DZ or Stanwax's ILDA breakout board and probably eliminate the built in XY invert switches, DMX and size adjustments. Granted I shouldn't invest much time in them (especially since they're not legal to use in the US) but, they were my first lasers and are very well built for coming out of China, old enough to have 473 blue, decent scanners etc.

By the way, it sound to me like what you are referring to are the adjustment pots for tuning the scanners. There is one you probably don't want to touch and the other three are used to tune the scanners using the ILDA test pattern but, the problem you are describing doesn't sound like a simple tuning issue. They are "Servo Gain", "High Frequency Damping", "Low Frequency Damping" . I don't believe you want to do anything with the one labeled SI.

Here is a link to a good guide for making these adjustments: http://lasershowparts.com/files/Arti...20Tutorial.pdf

I would tend to lean towards a bad wire or solder joint first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    By the way, it sound to me like what you are referring to are the adjustment pots for tuning the scanners. There is one you probably don't want to touch and the other three are used to tune the scanners using the ILDA test pattern but, the problem you are describing doesn't sound like a simple tuning issue. They are "Servo Gain", "High Frequency Damping", "Low Frequency Damping" . I don't believe you want to do anything with the one labeled SI.

Here is a link to a good guide for making these adjustments: http://lasershowparts.com/files/Arti...20Tutorial.pdf

I would tend to lean towards a bad wire or solder joint first.
    Hi,

Thanks very much for the replies. I can confirm we are talking about the same units, was an assumption on my part about the motors before properly investigating. I have tried giving slight pressure to the X/Y adjustment switches/pots and there is no difference, doesn't seem to be a bad contact at the board either. The CR Tec official PCB's for these units were discontinued around 2/3 years ago, are you able to ofeer any alternatives.

Thanks,
    Ali

What I find odd is that you said it's happening on both. Couple questions...

1) Those projectors have built in DMX frames that run as soon as you turn the projector on and don't have it hooked to an ILDA signal. Are those patterns collapsed? Or, it it just when being fed an ILDA signal?

2) Since it's happening on both - did it start at the same time or, first on one and then some time later, the other? I don't mean to insult intelligence with that question but, I'm just trying to see what we can eliminate. I don't know how you're using them.

My thinking being perhaps a bad cable, or, if you're using the ILDA pass thru from one to the other, perhaps only the first board in the chain is messed up.

1) Currently not running ILDA, it is the DMX patterns which are collapsed. I had thought also perhaps a bad cable or lack of termination however fault exist with differnt cables and in stand alone mode.

2) No worries, appreciate the help. It was one unit at first, the last fixture in the chain and then the second unit some time after, both on different planes.

O.k., Now... in your original post, you said it's collapsing on one axis and not opening fully. You then said it's the vertical or horizontal axis. Well, which one is it? I'm "thinking" you mean to say just vertical. Is it collapsed to narrow and tall or, is it collapsed to short and wide?

One thing to try briefly is to switch the ribbon cables going to the scanners for a moment and see if it recreates the problem on the opposite axis. Just unplug the cable from the x motor and swap it with the y motor and vice versa. Are you able to post us a picture of the output?

Sorry for the confusion, it is the vertical axis on one and the horizontal on the other. I agree the next step is to swap cables and see if the fault travels with it. I have been searching for replacement PCB's and have been advised these are no longer available. Unfortunately I cannot post a pic as I will not be onsite for another two weeks or so.

Hello to you both...I am hoping that this message will find it's way to you. I have recently been handed this model laser system to create a DMX device for a lighting console (Martin M series)....and of course, no manual. does anyone have a user manual and/or DMX chart for this system? if so PLEASE, send me a copy: gil@conception-reno.com many many thanx.

Regrettably, I don't. CR-Tec though, is still in business (a level 1 corporate member of ILDA as a matter of fact). They may be able to help you with some sort of manual although, you're dealing with a chinese web site so it could take a little digging to get a contact or information.