Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin users - APC 40 controller on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    No idea. But, it looks like the Quickshow tutorials apply to a reasonable percentage of the Beyond GUI as well, that's all I was saying. So if you're looking for a Beyond tutorial video set, there is a series for the 3D editor, a series for Universe, but for the basic features all I could find was the QS set.
    The basic cue grid & live control functions of Quickshow and Beyond are VERY similar ~
    in fact, my understanding is Beyond was initially developed on the QuickShow framework, and then expanded to MANY levels "beyond" the capability of QuickShow and the LD2000 suite.

The basics of live control and cue manipulation pretty much work the same on both...
    Last edited by Stuka; 08-27-2014 at 15:52.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Damn you, Randy! I wasn't planning on spending money right now. Also, Thank you, Randy, this is a killer deal and I just bought one.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Damn you, Randy! I wasn't planning on spending money right now. Also, Thank you, Randy, this is a killer deal and I just bought one.
    Just doing my part to help out my fellow addicts ... ; )
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Just doing my part to help out my fellow addicts ... ; )
    ENABLER!!!! You, sir, are an enabler! This is going to help immensly with Halloween. Push-button activation of DMX spooks and scares will be way easier than trying to activate stuff via mouse-click.

Trigger pulled! Happy dance executed! Thanks for the lead, Randy!

Here's a reminder of the awesomeness.

This is a fantastic deal. I've been using mine for several months now. There are a few profiles already built into Beyond for this controller. A lot of customization can be done using Pango Script. But the out of the box functionality that comes with the profiles does just about everything you need. The only extra thing you'd want to do is "Zone Chases", which Pangolin posted a video about a few months ago.

My only complaint is regarding using the abstract generators. I was trying to use this as something similar to a P4, and just have the sliders and knobs control each of the oscillators. Didn't quite work out. Assigning controls to the abstract generator doesn't give a very wide array of control compared to mouse adjustments, so you basically just end up with a wiggling circle instead of a full spiralgraph. Once you change a setting on the console, you have to duplicate it each time you start that cue. Beyond doesn't remember those settings. This isn't a short-coming of the APC by any means, but of Beyond. I filed a bug on it, not sure they will address that. It works the same with all DMX and MIDI controllers I tried.

If you get an APC40, spend the extra 50 (give or take) bucks and get the Pangolin Skin. Much cleaner looking than using tape for labels. And if you're doing shows with it, get the roadcase. I got this one, and it works very well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cases-XS-APC40.../dp/B00CEICVUS

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    ENABLER!!!! You, sir, are an enabler! This is going to help immensly with Halloween. Push-button activation of DMX spooks and scares will be way easier than trying to activate stuff via mouse-click.
    Yeah, we're definitely a collective bad influence on each other -
    it's a good thing the SELEM inspiration only happens once a year!!!

Ditto on the holiday use ~
    I could see integrating it into my laser / Light-o-rama Christmas show!

I've just started tinkering with my APC, but I think it is going to be a LOT of fun to use, even if I'll rarely, if ever, get the chance to use it for a real live performance somewhere.
    I've been tinkering quite a bit with the MIDI Designer app on my iPad over the last year, and I'm already working on some ideas to integrate that with the APC for multiple grid cue controls (similar to the 2nd monitor setup at SELEM), and perhaps even some creative filtering & rerouting to be able to provide alternate control functions for the APC "on the fly".

So many ideas, so little time!!

Oh, BTW, +1 on the Pangolin skin ~
    I picked my combo at SELEM, and installed the skin last night.
    VERY cool!!

Crack candy for us laser junkies...
    RR

Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Trigger pulled! Happy dance executed! Thanks for the lead, Randy!
    Awesome -
    At this rate, we could wind up with as many APC 40's at SELEM as Pluto projectors!!!
    RR

Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by digiassn View Post
    This is a fantastic deal. I've been using mine for several months now. There are a few profiles already built into Beyond for this controller. A lot of customization can be done using Pango Script. But the out of the box functionality that comes with the profiles does just about everything you need. The only extra thing you'd want to do is "Zone Chases", which Pangolin posted a video about a few months ago.

My only complaint is regarding using the abstract generators. I was trying to use this as something similar to a P4, and just have the sliders and knobs control each of the oscillators. Didn't quite work out. Assigning controls to the abstract generator doesn't give a very wide array of control compared to mouse adjustments, so you basically just end up with a wiggling circle instead of a full spiralgraph. Once you change a setting on the console, you have to duplicate it each time you start that cue. Beyond doesn't remember those settings. This isn't a short-coming of the APC by any means, but of Beyond. I filed a bug on it, not sure they will address that. It works the same with all DMX and MIDI controllers I tried.

If you get an APC40, spend the extra 50 (give or take) bucks and get the Pangolin Skin. Much cleaner looking than using tape for labels. And if you're doing shows with it, get the roadcase. I got this one, and it works very well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cases-XS-APC40.../dp/B00CEICVUS
    Thanks for the input on the programming ~
    Just wondering, have you tried creating an additional MIDI configuration file with your changes, then loading that at the beginning of a session?

I have noticed something similiar when setting up beams ~
    If I save all my settings into a beam settings file and load them at the beginning of a session, they work fine.
    However, if I don't load the beam settings file, some of my beam targets don't seem to be saved automatically as the current default settings the next time I start up.

Also, concerning the range of control for the abstract generators ~
    I'm wondering if there's a way to implement 14-bit MIDI resolution to give finer control on the input channels?
    (I haven't dug in that deep on my system yet...)

It seems that control resolution is one of the drawbacks when using MIDI for non-musical applications ~
    with only 128 steps at standard resolution, versus 256 steps with DMX, fine control could suffer a bit.

That said, being able to use MIDI over USB for control inputs definitely opens up some really nice control options!!

Randy
    Last edited by Stuka; 08-28-2014 at 03:56.
    RR

Sweet.....