Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin users - APC 40 controller on sale!

So, beer and lasers don't always mix. I was ripping my hair out last night, trying to get Beyond to see my APC40. After about 35 minutes of cursing at the machine, I found that it was a PEBKAC issue.

Yes, I was being an idiot. I couldn't figure out why the computer recognized the hardware but Beyond would not. Turns out, these are basically a sound device. I normally RDP into my Pangolin machine so I can run it from my laptop. Well, RDP has a feature that will send the host's sound to the remote. This basically disables the audio devices on the host, including the controller. After I realized that the only sound device showing up in my windows configuration was the remote sound device. I changed my RDP settings to keep sounds on the local machine, everything worked swimmingly after that.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Hi All, just seen this.

I'm inverting a lot of time in finding a Midi controler for the FB3/QuickShow...but does QuickShow support midi?
    I've read the start of this thread and I'm hearing ''MAYBE, but it's hard''. Is this right?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    Hi All, just seen this.

I'm inverting a lot of time in finding a Midi controler for the FB3/QuickShow...but does QuickShow support midi?
    I've read the start of this thread and I'm hearing ''MAYBE, but it's hard''. Is this right?
    Graham
    QuickShow definitely supports MIDI, and actually fairly extensively, but it is not anywhere near as "reprogrammable" as Beyond.
    The problem is actually the APC 40, and the fact that it's controls are hard-wired to send very specific MIDI messages.

I did a fairly extensive write-up here:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...024#post299024

So yes, with some effort, the APC 40 would work with QuickShow, but it would probably be easier to get a different fully-programmable (but similar in design) controller.
    Or, do like I'm doing for a 2nd grid controller to use with Beyond alongside the APC 40 ~
    Get an iPad MIDI app like MIDI Designer, and build your own iPad custom controller!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

hehe havent we been here before on the Pangolin forum stuka? ;D

Heres what I posted on Pango forum about using my own midi with QS

"after spending a couple hours reprogramming the maschine (its very programmable) and playing around with settings in QS I only found that you can map for:
    Blackout
    Tap Tempo
    Main VLJ
    VLJ FX1, 2, 3, 4
    Reset Rotation
    Reset Position
    Cues
    Master Color
    Master Brightness
    Master Points
    Master Speed
    Master Scanrate
    Master X,Y,Z Size
    Master X,Y,Z Rotation
    Master Z,Y,Z Position
    Master X,Y,Z Angle

I could not find ways to
    Change number of cues on page
    Switch between pages
    Toggle between Play / Reset / Flash (Something I really really need)
    Toggle between one / multi cue
    Select individual FX"
    Freelance Laser Operator in L.A.
    -

SO I probably can't use it then...

This would be nice...>>> Livid Instruments Ohm RGB Midi Controller
    http://lividinstruments.com/products/ohm-rgb/

But it's too expensive. If only they made one like with half the controls. Half the knobs, half the faders, and just slightly less pads.....and a keyboard on the bottom.

Actually this.....
    http://turntablelab.com/collections/...ase-controller
    Would the squares at the very top act like knobs?

If so this could be perfect...

EDIT: NO they can't :-(
    Last edited by laserLips; 09-09-2014 at 10:58.

On a side note, these are pretty cool

http://youtu.be/IgbWyc_YcO0

Hmm, just a thought -

Maybe look at something like the Novation Launchpad controllers ( I "think" the pads are fully programmable - might be worth a visit to the the Novation website), and combine with something like the Korg NanoKontrol to give you some knobs and faders.

Compact, and based on prices I've seen online at Sweetwater, you could get both for under $200 USD.

Or, you could get the APC 40, use a MIDI translator in the mix for use with QuickShow, and be all set when you move up to Beyond sometime down the road...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Hmm, just a thought -

Maybe look at something like the Novation Launchpad controllers ( I "think" the pads are fully programmable - might be worth a visit to the the Novation website), and combine with something like the Korg NanoKontrol to give you some knobs and faders.

Compact, and based on prices I've seen online at Sweetwater, you could get both for under $200 USD.

Or, you could get the APC 40, use a MIDI translator in the mix for use with QuickShow, and be all set when you move up to Beyond sometime down the road...
    Thanks Stuka

Look at these lovely knobs.
    What does everyone call these rotaries with LEDs? They're the best because they can change their setting according to the parameter the software tells it.

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/kento...ons/358430-01/

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Rotary encoders? My BCR2000 has 32 of them. Though not of great quality...