Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser "star projectors"

Default laser "star projectors"

I saw this exact model while walking around my neighborhood around halloween. I thought it was just a decoration for halloween. It has been up since then.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Shower-Ch.../dp/B0135OA3PO

I got a temp job delivering pizza. I've been seeing them all over now. Most are red and green. I've seen one of two blue ones. I even saw a couple houses on base with them. Personally, I hate them. They don't look that good and you have random beams going all over the place.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I've only seen one actually being used on a house. It wasn't "all that". The owners of the building I work in want me to get some for the building here but I haven't bothered to pick any up. I do know someone that got one as a simple, cheap source to build a living room lumia box for a friend.
    PM Sent...

I wasn't impressed when I first saw them. A few things I don't like is how the beams go everywhere including windows and off into the sky. They can also be easily accessed by kids since they are low to the ground.
    Last edited by DrEvil; 12-15-2015 at 09:28.

There is a lot of beauty in control. With that being said I'm not a big fan of these uncontrollable beams either.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

The beams themselves don't bother me too much since these are such low power. Nothing more than what many DJ's carry around all the time and shine right on the crowd. What I don't necessarily like is, how easy they could be stolen. It's just a stake in the ground in front of your house and takes two seconds for someone to steal $40 off your lawn and out of your pocket if they think "it's cool".
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    The beams themselves don't bother me too much since these are such low power. Nothing more than what many DJ's carry around all the time and shine right on the crowd. What I don't necessarily like is, how easy they could be stolen. It's just a stake in the ground in front of your house and takes two seconds for someone to steal $40 off your lawn and out of your pocket if they think "it's cool".
    - Steals brad's giant inflatable snowman (for research purposes of course) ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Some jack ass took the baby Jesus from my nativity scene last year.

I saw a very similar unit for sale in 'The Range' (in the UK) a few weeks ago and noted on here that the Class 1 classification looked a bit dubious; the company has since removed all the units from their stores and removed it from their website, so I guess they have been warned that these are more dangerous than the classification they (claim to) have would indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    Some jack ass took the baby Jesus from my nativity scene last year.
    That was me. I was bored. Sorry.

More seriously, these devices showed up in our local NC news last week as being dangerous to air traffic. Basically the local news helicopter would roam around until they could get hit by a stray beam from one of these things. It was quite trumped up to say the least. The more serious news of a-holes shooting air traffic with high power laser pointers appears to be branding all laser devices as 'extremely dangerous' to air traffic.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

They're Class 1 post-diffraction grating but god knows what's inside - I imagine it didn't take long for someone to dismantle one and cause trouble.

They look alright when masked so they just illuminate one object or a group of things, but sprayed everywhere is just messy
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks