Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin is slow at service

Hi Tribble,

Instantaneous currents are not that high, and scanner amps already have (albeit smaller) capacitors to supply the instantaneous currents during hard seeks. And so what you propose will not cure this problem or any other problem common with scanning. What you're dealing with here is Physics. I did a full analysis of these PTA-40 scanners (I may post the full specs in a different post), but the bottom line is that the rotor inertia is higher than a typical lightshow scanner but torque constant is exactly the same as a typical lightshow scanner. So -- same torque, but higher inertia means lower torque-to-inertia ratio. This, coupled with a few other factors leads to the limited large-signal performance.

In electronics you can liken this to slew-rate limiting of an op-amp or power amplifier. The amplifier may be able to do relatively high frequencies with relatively small amplitudes, but as amplitude is increased, the slew rate limit becomes an ultimately limiting factor, and slew rate distortion results.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the reply! I admit I'm a little surprised that there aren't significant current spikes for acceleration/deceleration at each end of the travel of the rotor, especially at high speed and high amplitude. But, I guess if the solution were as simple as I hypothesized, everyone would be doing it. Glad I have a set of 506s on order... now just counting the days until the mach mini is available.

we clearly know --The Way --how "P" promote their products now

Omar it's not just your scanners.

Kvant LM's appear to suffer the same issue as do many other projectors scanners. It appears to be quite a common issue with Chinese scanners.
    Last edited by White-Light; 09-29-2014 at 00:30.

White light is 100% correct, I have the same issue with 2 sets of dt 40's wides and 2 sets of pro's so the 'cheap scanners ' doesn't wash. I'm sure Pangolin will rectify it and amend a workspace, it is definatley cue related as if you import the cues into beyond its replicated. Nothing wrong with the scanners as they are perfect using other software.
    lighting the way since 89

I didn't say it wasn't scanner related, I said it may be Chinese scanner related, of which category DT's also fall into. Kvant LM's aren't cheap scanners but they are Chinese and cheap compared to Cambridge. I understand the issues haven't been seen on Cambridge but then again I don't have any to make a comparison with!

Why we don't see it in other laser programmes, I don't know. Maybe the non point system pushes the envelope further when it comes to large signal performance. I wouldn't know.

I tend to forget that Dragon Tang are Chinese tbh as they are reliable as hell. I'm an old fart and since switching from Cambridge I trust them 100% and have a "Chinese mental block" if you know what I mean
    It would be a sad day indeed if Pangolin decide to "Go all Apple" and only test and support workspaces that have 506's or their other scanners fitted to projectors . it's just coincidental that the issue's have arose since the devolopment of the 506's has been pushed forward and I'm not suggesting otherwise.
    lighting the way since 89

In fairness to Pangolin I complained about these issues over 2 years ago and others on here set me straight that they had the same issue and it was the software NOT the scanners. Apparently it had been seen in LD2000.

It now appears it IS the scanners, but cheap scanners at fault (ie non Cambridge mostly). No doubt it's something that arises because of the way Pangolin's software / DAC work. However, considering they have the smoothest and best scanning out there, it might just be the price of perfection, that some cues become more taxing in the large signal field and thus show slight aberrations. I wouldn't really know the technicalities of scanner design.

However, as I said to be fair, this issue existed way before the 506's were even dreamt up, it's just it never really got investigated before. Credit has to go to PJ here, who not only investigated it but came up with a solution (even if it's not the prefect solution out of the box in so far as it fixes the workspace to match the scanners issues rather than the other way around).

Hello All,

Glad to know I reported a problem that so many people met! And solved! One of our customers reported the problem to me. They thought it was problem of our lasers. I can't believe it. Several days ago, another customer told me the solution. Yes, it is what Bill from Pangolin showed. I tried the method, the dashes after dots diminished till disappeared.

We are an experienced laser manufacturer, but a newer at laser projectors. We build the laser projectors with lasers of ourselves. It is a way to ensure the quality and lower the prices of projectors.

Cheers,
    David
    Professional manufacturer for High Power DPSS and Diode Lasers.
    1~8W 638nm Red
    1~8W 520nm Green
    1~20W 445/465nm Blue
    3~10W RGB laser
    http://www.lasever.com/
    Email: sales@lasever.com

And Thanks to you all and thanks to Bill!

David
    Professional manufacturer for High Power DPSS and Diode Lasers.
    1~8W 638nm Red
    1~8W 520nm Green
    1~20W 445/465nm Blue
    3~10W RGB laser
    http://www.lasever.com/
    Email: sales@lasever.com