Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pangolin is slow at service

Hi Guys.

Have to come in to the discussion.. and sorry for my bad English (i'm from Sweden

Have the same problem as you have, but i could't remember having it before when i didn't use pangolin.
    Only have a 2 watt Excel green laser with Ct6800 scanners and some pico driver from HB-Laser.

When i got the FB3 i was really happy since i got more power out of it when i was doing beams, comparing to the old one.
    But now i also updated to Beyond, and was playing around with that and did try to re tune my scanners but couldn't get the lines
    before/ or after to disappear!!.

Did get some help finding this forum and checked your post, and had to try to find my old interface and a software for it to try it out.
    And in that software (LDS) LaserDesignStudio (not pangolins) i can take away the lines and get nice dots!!

So if its a scanner problem, why can i make it look nice in that software then??

Have some new CT6215 lying with CT own amp, so going to se if i can make a small bench and try them out to..

Also did buy some cheap rgb laser for a nightclub with DMX, ILDA and Audio control.. so it has a lot of internal programs, and if it would be a scanner problem
    why does that one produce nice dots when running internal programs and when run with pangolin it gets the lines again..
    For me it feels like the blanking is made the same way if you run it with an internal program or external?!?!?!

//Robert

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that a lot of things depend on a lot of other things... All of this stuff is really pretty complex. We can not hear a problem and prescribe one simple magical solution which works in all cases.

What's wrong in your case? I can't tell from the brief description. For example, if you turn the scan rate in BEYOND up to 120K then substantially EVERYTHING will streak, and there will be nearly nothing you can do to solve the problem (other than finding this one stupid adjustment buried in a dialog box somewhere).

It comes to me as no surprise that QS would work better for you than LDS. No surprise there at all! It comes to me as a tiny surprise that you are not as successful with BEYOND. But then, on the other hand BEYOND is made for true laser professionals. With QuickShow we make the assumption that the user knows substantially nothing, and we have to make it "fully automatic" so that even beginners can get great results. With BEYOND we make the complete opposite assumption -- that the user knows literally everything, and the user really wants a whole lot of control over the beam and will fully understand the implication of all of the adjustments. This is the difference between an electric car with no transmission and a 18-wheel Semi that has 42 forward gears and 12 reverse gears...

Nevertheless, the initial presentation that users *SHOULD* perceive is that BEYOND is the big brother of QS and things that worked in QS should work substantiallly the same as they do in BEYOND (at least until you start messing with all of the settings...)

What you could *try* to do is copy only the BEYOND EXE file and your license file to a completely new folder. This will make BEYOND forget all of the settings you messed with and kind of start from scratch. Then you can load the same workspace you used in QS and you *should* get exactly the same results. If you don't, then something's wrong, and at that point you can contact us using one of the myriad of methods available (one of which is not PL) and we will help.

So again, I am sorry that I can not tell -- just from the quick description you provided above -- what is causing this problem. But with 42 forward gears, 12 reverse gears, clutches, complex fuel injection systems, etc. a lot of things depend on a lot of other things...

In my old age, I've also stopped believing that a zillion forum posts are the best and fastest method of resolving strange problems. I often encourage the folks at Pangolin to make the trade-off -- a zillion back and forth emails or a single 5-minute Skype session. With the ability to "see" and hear on Skype in real time, often times this is far more productive!

Bill

It comes to me as no surprise that QS would work better for you than LDS.
    I'm not sure thats what he's saying Bill

Did get some help finding this forum and checked your post, and had to try to find my old interface and a software for it to try it out.
    And in that software (LDS) LaserDesignStudio (not pangolins) i can take away the lines and get nice dots!!
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Hi Bill.

Thanks for your fast reply.. but as i wrote.. i can get nice dots in another software so why not in pangolin that should be so much better?!?!
    And also when i comes to that cheap laser, Why does it have nice dots with internal programs and not with pangolin?? For me the blanking should work
    the same way if you are running it with an internal micro controller or external??! (could be totally wrong).

And i have tried bot quick show and Beyond..

Think the software LDS is a software that some other manufacturer did buy and did some own work and enhanced it, and buy looking at it i should gues
    Phoenix is one of them that had a birth out of LDS, and if I'm not totally wrong Pangolin is now in a relationship with Phoenix??!! so why don't
    try that one out and see if you can get better beams with that, then on Quick show or Beyond..

For me it still feels like something could be tunes or better programmed on pangolin since i can get better beams on an old cheap show setup.

//Robert

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    if I'm not totally wrong Pangolin is now in a relationship with Phoenix??!! so why don't
    try that one out and see if you can get better beams with that, then on Quick show or Beyond..

//Robert
    pangolin owns phoenix.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Also think this is interesting.. this is one of the atmospheric pictures in quick show.. and one of the Dotted circles looks as it should and one dot in the other two circles?!?!

Did also forget to say i run it in 24K tried it up to 30k and looks almost the same
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser Dots.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	45053

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    Also think this is interesting.. this is one of the atmospheric pictures in quick show.. and one of the Dotted circles looks as it should and one dot in the other two circles?!?!

Did also forget to say i run it in 24K tried it up to 30k and looks almost the same
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser Dots.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	45053
    Did you try reducing the speed?

You're more likely to get rid of scanning aberrations by going slower rather than faster.

Try it at 12 or 15K and see what you get.

As for the tails, Bill has said it's something to do with Chinese scanners and it's something he's looking into - I believe either in this thread or another, he said he's had some users projectors shipped to him so he can see the issue in person.

I've seen the issue myself but on a very limited number of patterns - only 2 or 3 from memory and 1 test pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Credit has to go to PJ here, who not only investigated it but came up with a solution (even if it's not the prefect solution out of the box in so far as it fixes the workspace to match the scanners issues rather than the other way around).
    Thanks I only saw tis now. Yes I recommend setting up your projector at home and checking each cue and adjusting. I wouldn't recommend doing it to every cue as you do lose brightness on the blanking. Some scanners just need more blanking or a longer color stop.
    I should note in the past this also happened to a cambridge scanset from kvant but I never saw the tuning of it. the LM's are not 30kpps scanners but ~<28kpps but with a more impressive angle then the DT40's.

In my highly optimized graphics I sometimes add some extra blanking to allow the scanners to calm a bit, this allows you to scan "stressing graphics" on your scanners for longer amounts of time.
    I have yet to break any scanset *even galvos that were completely out of tune and scanning garbage I fixed up